Search results

1. lurch

Why an industrial ball valve?

Thanks Jimbo The valve is called an 'industrial valve' - see http://www.americanvalve.com/bronze/ballvalves.html Is the NIBCO IPS a good choice for the replacement?
  2. lurch

Why an industrial ball valve?

I posted here last week about replacing my main shutoff valve - which after much feedback and research seems to be a bronze industrial ball valve. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29565 When I was trying to identify the valve based on the strange handle - as SewerRatz suggested...
  3. lurch

Can I route PEX/copper pipe through joists?

Thanks guys - I have 2x8 joists - and the holes drilled for the NM cable looks to adhere to those guidelines. I was not aware you could do that.
  4. lurch

Can I route PEX/copper pipe through joists?

I'm partway through replacing my old forced air furnace with baseboard and I'd also like to upgrade my 1/2" main supply with 3/4". I see that a lot of the electrical cable in my 50's home is routed through the joists - is this allowed for plumbing? I assume not as all of the plumbing I see is...
  5. lurch

Ball valves - are they created equal?

How long do these valves last? - and is there no risk that it leaks from the handle? And it doesn't leak from the valve - but when I shut it off the other day - it did leak a very small amount of water - so the normal operation is OK - but the shut off is not 100%.
  6. lurch

Thanks for your reply Brent - your probably right - its just in my town they want $60 to shut off the water at the street - the access point is visible (and brand new - as they had to replace and test it last fall) Not only is it the money - its syncing up with the water guys to get them out...
  7. lurch

yep - its not a compression - just a threaded valve. Seems I have 2 choices - try to remove the threaded reducer fitting at the top to replace with a 3/4 straight male or get the water shut -off and replace the whole valve any suggestions?
  8. lurch

I need to replace my 3/4" main shutoff ball valve as 1. the handle is rusting through 2. on a recent pipe replacement job there was a small amount of leakage (maybe this is normal) 3. I want to upgrade my main supply through the house to 3/4" - and I'm not sure if trying to attach a 3/4" male...
  9. lurch

boiler vent size problem

Just spoke to WM tech services - in this circumstance - venting into the chimney - I can use a single wall Galv pipe - 5" . OK - problem resolved Thanks for all the advice guys
  10. lurch

boiler vent size problem

thanks HJ - do you know if I can use Galv vent pipe for a boiler?
  11. lurch

boiler vent size problem

there is a propane HWH to the right - the boiler feeds the 2 baseboard zones with zone valves. This is controlled by the thermostat. Thermostat opens - this opens the zone valve and turns on the red circulator. I also have a zone with Onix tube radiant flooring. I'll probably add a circulator to...
  12. lurch

boiler vent size problem

sure - its not too pretty...
  13. lurch

boiler vent size problem

Thanks nhmaster - my current vent is stainless steel - can I use galvanised to replace it - the WM manual does not specify this. Also here is a pic of the vent and chimney connection. Any advice/comments welcome.
  14. lurch

boiler vent size problem

I have a dispute between my plumber and the inspector and I'm hoping someone here can help out. I have a WM CGI-5 propane direct vent boiler that was planned to be a direct vent however my plumber determined that for whatever reason he would connect it to the chimney as the old oil furnace...
  15. lurch

Direct vent boiler connected to chimney

moved post to plumbing forum
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks