Search results

1. patsfan78

ASME approved heat exchangers

The question remains as to why a Baxi says it is ASME and bears the H symbol on its packaging yet no H stamp on the exchanger itself.
  2. patsfan78

ASME approved heat exchangers

What makes a giannoni or any other heat exchanger ASME approved. For example the heat exchangers in a LAARS Mascot or a Baxi. Should the H stamp always be on an ASME heat exchanger or is the H stamp an additional approval on somthing. I am not refering to a brazed plate heat exchanger. It...
  3. patsfan78

Laars Mascot

Are you sure that there is no cross contamination via the vent pipe. Either at the seal at the top of the unit or at where any pieces of pipe meet?
  4. patsfan78

Replacing old boiler

I think you are talking about a water heater, if so 12-15 years is a very good life for water heater. So if you can spend 300 and get the chance of 6 or so good years, or even just a few years, than it might be worth it. But remember, no warranty, no guarantee to last 6 years, no recourse if...
  5. patsfan78

I don't want to pay to heat the whole house? How can I completely shut off one zone?

The circulator running should keep pipes from freezing up. Something to think about; the walls that separate whatever side of the house you are going to be shutting down with the walls of the side you will be heating will now become cold walls. So, for arguments sake, they will be no different...
  6. patsfan78

Boiler keeps going off/on, off/on....help!

Post a couple pictures of the radiators themselves. If they are the baseboard type radiator and/or if they are piped in series, that is a potential problem when removing or turning off water flow to any radiator. We need to determine if the radiators, whatever type they are, are piped in a...
  7. patsfan78

Old Radiators vs new baseboard

Depending on the type of radiator you have...I would always side with the radiator. Traditional fin type baseboard, in my opinion, is ugly and a poor waste of wall space. If the radiators are sized right, and they are in good condition id say keep em'. And if you don't want to keep the radiators...
  8. patsfan78

radiant heat in the walls?

Radiant can be done in the walls. It works. But remember people hang pictures, put holes in, run wiring, and abuse walls a lot more than a floor. So the radiant tubing in a wall has more opportunities for damage than it would in a floor. A future potential buyer of the home may not care for it...
  9. patsfan78

insulation

Have you installed a staple up radiant tubing? If so there are certain types of insulation for this scenario. It is installed between the floor joists but it requires a gap (between the tubing and the reflective sid of the insulation) so that the radiant heat waves of the stapled up piping will...
  10. patsfan78

Radiant question

The more flooring material you have between the pex and "your feet" the higher the water temperature may have to be for that loop.
  11. patsfan78

Where should I place a baseboard radiator in my bathroom?

Its always encouraged to place baseboard, radiator or whatever on an outside wall. If that is not possible then install it where you have room but if you haven't purchased the radiator yet, you may want to consider oversizing it just a bit. But the outside wall is preferred.
  12. patsfan78

Bleeding cold water?

I am going to assume you have fixed the section of pipe with the nail sticking out of it. Sound like you have air in your pipes. Are there any air vents on the upper floors? How are you bleeding the pipes? You will only get cold water unless a zone is calling for heat and your boiler has...
  13. patsfan78

Basement Radiator Issues

The radiators require more than just 6 inches between the tees if the flow is going down. Hot water is buoyant and needs to be piped right in order to get that water to go down. The tees should be as far apart as the radiator is wide at least.
  14. patsfan78

No heat on most of top floor zone

If you isolate that zone, and add some extra pressure that will help to really absorb that air into the water and push it out. If that still doesn't do the trick we may have a flow/piping problem. But like others have said it really sounds like trapped air. Best of luck, Mike
  15. patsfan78

Boiler problem

Something else to consider is that you may obtain better results by putting the circulator pumping away from the expansion tank, because of the point of no pressure change. This can help with air problems as well. But you might want to install an air eliminator above the expansion tank as...
  16. patsfan78

boiler pressure

I think the problem has already been identified, the relief valve definitely sounds likes it is corroded inside which is why it did not close and/or there is no automatic fill valve so water just kept pumpin' away. It sounds like he had a fair amount of water pouring into the basement. I...
  17. patsfan78

Fixing a bowing ceiling

If you were concerned about moister you can install a vapor barrier before you put up the strapping and or Sheetrock. not a cure to a leaky roof but it doesnt hurt or cost much.
  18. patsfan78

Fixing a bowing ceiling

Rip it down and start new with new Sheetrock. You could spend a month trying to patch and repair all of the damage and it still wouldn't look right. You can rent a lift (or get a couple of strong backs) to assist you in putting up the Sheetrock. You may need to install new strapping...
  19. patsfan78

Archway, Help please...I'm out of ideas

arch Make the bottom of the archway flush with the wall. That way you dont have to build out the wall and it will look better too. Not, to mention it would be a lot less labor.
  20. patsfan78

Bad Odor from my gabage disposal and ac

Call the landlord Call the landlord. It is their problem not yours. Sounds lilke the septic is backing up. If he/she dosent follow through call the town and talk to the health dept.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks