Search results

1. jwilson

How does this P-trap come apart?

I'm not sure what it's made of. I don't want to open it because I'm lazy - not because of fear. I opened that wall when I relocated a window to above the sink for a renovation a few years ago. The wall is actually a plaster top coat, on 1/2" cement, on heavy mesh lathe. It looks like they...
  2. jwilson

How does this P-trap come apart?

Is there a stub under the flared piece that the trap is soldered to? I will be putting in a new pedestal sink, so I want to replace all the way up to the wall. Of course, I'm hoping not to open the wall. Thanks
  3. jwilson

15 year old Fridge, repair or replace?

Don't forget the energy it took to make the appliance you're buying new. It takes a lot of energy to mine the ore, produce the steel, fabricate it, ship it around, etc. Getting rid of useful equimpment that provides no other benefit other than energy efficiency is for the most part a net...
  4. jwilson

Redoing bathroom plumbing

I'm painting, updating my old bathroom. House is circa 1925. The sink drain goes into a chrome slip fit nut, then into a P-trap that has what looks like a socket fitting that joins what I call a spud tube with built in bell that mates the wall. It is all chromed, with some pitting. How...
  5. jwilson

Gas shut off valves at appliances only?

I'm adding some appliances and upping my meter and gas header size to 1". The existing plumbing has a 3/4" shut off valve soon after the meter. Does the code require I put in a shut off valve near the meter or do I only need valves at the appliances? Thanks
  6. jwilson

Leaking Outdoor Faucet

That's the frost free type - not a globe type, so you can ignore what I said earlier. It looks though like you might still be able to fix it in a similar manner. Shut off the water, take of the handle, unscrew the nut behind the handle and that's where the stem packing should be. Replace as...
  7. jwilson

Leaking Outdoor Faucet

I didn't find a section view online but the frost free ones come straight out of the wall. The globe style come out and turn up a bit. Look at these pics
  8. jwilson

Leaking Outdoor Faucet

It could be what RoughDoberman is saying and it could be what I'm saying. If you can post a picture of the valve then we can probably tell the type. It could still be an old globe type and fit the symptoms. It doesn't leak when it's closed because the water is stopped by the seat and isn't...
  9. jwilson

Washer dryer cabinet install - possible?

One thing though, you mentioned you want to add doors to hide the appliances. You can't do that with the dryer because it creates a confined space and you need to be able to have combustion air getting to the dryer. You will have to have louvered door or add one on the side of the cabinet - a...
  10. jwilson

Leaking Outdoor Faucet

It depends on the type of faucet but this might work for you. If it's just dripping you could try to just tighten down the bonnet but that's going to last a little while and if it's gushing that probably won't work. Shut off the water that goes to the outdoor faucet using the stop valve in...
  11. jwilson

Gas Line - To tee or not to tee?

I don't think so, it says specifically what is allowed, which includes malleable iron, and then specifically excludes cast iron bushings. It does make sense that cast iron bushings are not allowed and it also makes sense that that exclusion has morphed into a generally accepted practice that...
  12. jwilson

Winter - Summer Hook Up

The tankless gas is a 3/4" branch off of a 1" header. And would simply be shut off. The tankless water heater is also a branch so that when it's off the cold water would bypass it and go to the boiler/ hot water heater. Thus flow to hot fixtures would actually reverse in the same pipes...
  13. jwilson

I just spoke with my inspector. The governing code is the IGC not NFPA 54. NFPA 54 is a reference. Malleable iron bushings are permitted, cast iron bushings are not.
  14. jwilson

I'll take your word for it that the NFPA code says no bushings of any material. So then there's two codes and one says you can and one you can't?
  15. jwilson

Winter - Summer Hook Up

Thanks for those replies guys. jadnashua not sure if it's ok to put have that hot an input on the tankless, I think's it's minimum BTU input might overheat the water. I'll have to check the manual. They won't be near each other though because the two are on opposite sides of the house -...
  16. jwilson

BTW - I was questioning the bushing thing in my head, did some research and found that the IFGC DOES NOT prohibit bushings generally - it PROHIBITS CAST IRON bushings and CI pipe in gas, thus as far as I can see the bronze bushing shown is fine, as would be a black (malleable) iron bushing...
  17. jwilson

Winter - Summer Hook Up

I realize this is my first post here so you guys have no idea if I know what I'm doing, but let me assure you it isn't a matter of skills, etc. I'm not your average DIY'er - I've built two kitchen additions (everything except the foundation) on two different homes, remodelled several bath...
  18. jwilson

Winter - Summer Hook Up

This post relates to boiler, tankless heaters and hot water heaters, and my main question is whether what I want to do is allowed so I posted it in the plumbing forum - I hope that's right. I have a steam boiler with a hot water coil, a gas h/w heater and a tankless water heater. I want to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks