Search results

1. brad_j

septic help

Hello, I have a 25 year-old cape. Septic tank is 1000 gallons and I believe I have a basic drain field. I'm starting to see some evidence of effluent seeping to the surface in one spot (6 square inches) about 25 feet from the tank. It only happens once on a while, but it definitely is...
  2. brad_j

insulated

It looks like I'll have to go with an insulated Drake. My current Drake is dripping a bit and installing a sweat valve would be difficult in my situation. First, I'm wondering if these insulated tanks work well and if anyone has experience with them. Does the insulation deteriorate after...
  3. brad_j

Eco Drake Insulated?

........ Does anyone have the insulated tank for the Drake? In my readings some have said that over time the insulation begins to break off and cause problems.
  4. brad_j

Eco Drake Insulated?

found this http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,218961,00.html I'm wondering if this can be installed in the basement......25 feet from the upstairs toilet. Or does it need to be in close proximity.
  5. brad_j

Eco Drake Insulated?

adjustable Is this a fixed ratio of hot to cold? My input water temp is 50˚F (10˚C).
  6. brad_j

Eco Drake Insulated?

Do they make a model like this. The Eco Drake I have now works great, but condensation is an issue and thought I'd get the insulated. Is there an easy way to properly insulate my current Eco Drake?
  7. brad_j

Success

At $4 At $4.00 these would seem the way to go. I wonder why they are not in the Lowes/Home Depots and even local hardware stores? I like the "I know for sure that's lined up" feeling. Although it would see that if the flange isn't completely level a gap could develop where it attaches...
  8. brad_j

Success

Fernco Is this what you used? http://www.plumbersstock.com/product.html?partNumber=4372
  9. brad_j

Success

????? Make sure you are aligned front to back and left to right before you "smoosh" it down. You don't want to compromise the seal once it has flattened itself to the wax ring. I guess that is my problem because it seems you can't know for sure if alignment has taken place. The seal was...
  10. brad_j

Success

No Problem...... Yeah, I thought that was a great tip -- on soaking the gasket. Toto technical help is very "customer service oriented" and the guy I talked to was very detailed. He did say not to use VERY hot water (e.g. boiling) as it "would melt the gasket". He said, too, that they...
  11. brad_j

Success

flushing Redwood, My kids actually put names in hat to determine who could use it 1st, 2nd, 3rd....... They've told me that they will all be using the bathroom downstairs from this point on. :D:D:D:D
  12. brad_j

Success

condensation Seems I'll be dealing with condensation. Does Toto make an insulation kit. Any other suggestions?
  13. brad_j

Success

:rolleyes: A BIG thank you to all who advised me on how to go about this whole process. I just made my first practice flush and it works great. My whole family is impressed with the flushing power. Am I good to go on my next toilet up stairs? Or should I wait a few weeks? I did call...
  14. brad_j

Metal flange

stainless You're right on the flange. I'll get a stainless steel one tomorrow. What is the problem with gluing PVC to ABS? I found this: Gluing ABS and PVC [#10] Posted: Jan 12 2008 - 7:59:17 PM You can use transition cement to join one type of piping *system* to another...
  15. brad_j

Metal flange

New Pics Here's my current situation. (see pics) I built up the floor from underneath with a large piece of plywood. Is the flange high enough off the floor to proceed? Secondly, The wax ring instructions say that it should be at least 70 degrees. Well, here in the northeast its not...
  16. brad_j

Metal flange

????? What is "proper height? I thought the new flange was supposed to sit on the floor -- resting about 1/4 inch above floor level?
  17. brad_j

Metal flange

hj hj, I measured the diameter and it comes in at 3.5 inches (so I thought that meant it was 4" pipe). Is it your opinion that I should just start over and cut the pipe from the basement and install a whole new assembly? Getting to the metal part that is below floor level will be...
  18. brad_j

Metal flange

Redwood I did a little more poking around and found that the metal flange in somewhat funnel shaped and goes down a bit beneath floor level. I assumed the flange was flat. It would be very difficult to cut this without breaking the plastic portion that is attached to it. Does this change...
  19. brad_j

Metal flange

Redwood...... Thanks for the advice. It seems the metal flange is stuck to the ABS plastic. When I try to lightly hammer or pry up on the metal, the plastic moves as well. I'll get my tin snips and see what I can do. I hope my subfloor is intact (see 4th picture) as there is some...
  20. brad_j

Metal flange

good idea What about this idea? http://wantasub1.stores.yahoo.net/galbayflan.html
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks