Search results

1. Dgeist

Leaking screwdriver stop in shower valve

I recently installed an American Standard "Flash" shower rough-in valve with screwdriver stops. There was a TINY amount of leakage on the cold side that would drip once every minute or so. The day before my tile crew is set to arrive, I fiddled with it to try to get it to stop completely so...
  2. Dgeist

Slow leaks in lav supplies...next steps?

I've just finished installing the supply valves (4x 1/4 turn brasscraft compression to 1/2" copper tube) and am having very slight leaks in all of them. Enough to make a damp spot on toilet paper after sitting overnight, but no drips (yet). I've used these before for in both toilet/sink...
  3. Dgeist

Venting question while converting from single to double vanity.

Greetings, all. I'm converting my kids' bathroom from a single to double vanity. The DWV stack is CI in the left corner of the room. Above is vent to roof only. The current lav drain is centered in the wall and is 1.5" copper soldered to a 1.25" brass trap at the fixture drain. The wier is JUST...
  4. Dgeist

Cantilever Deck framing question

Hello, all. I didn't see a better forum, so I hope this one is okay for framing questions. I'm building a deck in a tree (the base of a more elaborate tree house above it). It's rectangular and the supported area is roughly 10'x10' One side has an inverted A-frame with a timber beam on the top...
  5. Dgeist

How sensitive are tub drain kits to output placement?

I recently had my basement slab stubbed out for a 3-fixture bath. I had marked 16" out from the back wall for the centerline of the tub since I'm getting a 32" tub (toto cast iron soaker). My city inspector wanted the tub drain wet vented by an adjacent lavatory, thus the plumber had to build...
  6. Dgeist

Options for dealing with condensate and T&P in basement?

I'm tying into existing DWV to create a new basement bathroom group. Just a few feet away, I have a high-efficiency furnace and a condensing tankless WH. Both produce a decent amount of condensate an the later also has a T&P valve. Right now, all air-gap "drain" functions are into an open...
  7. Dgeist

IPC 2012 Cleanout location questions?

To anyone intimately familiar with 2012 IPC cleanout requirements, I'm trying to answer the following: 708.3.1 (horizontal drains) - How long does a drain have to flow in the horizontal to be considered as such? 1 inch? 1 foot? 3 feet? I have two vertical sections of my 4" drain stack separated...
  8. Dgeist

Wet vent for drain/standpipe permitted via main stack? (2012 IPC)

Hi, I have an HE furnace and a condensing tankless water heater in close proximity to each other. Both produce quite a bit of condensate, the latter nearly constantly whenever it's running. The T&P valve and both poly drain lines are outputting to an open sump pit which otherwise only collects...
  9. Dgeist

Can the vent for a bathroom group be used for a sump pit?

I'm replacing an old open sump pit (two chimney tiles, actually) with a real ABS pit and sealed lid while building out a new basement bathroom in the area adjacent. I'd like to have discrete eject and vent penetrations and have purchased a lid that allows that. The only problem is that it's a...
  10. Dgeist

DWV questions in conjunction with basement remodel

Hi, all. I'm replacing and slightly relocating (with PVC) the exposed cast iron that serves the back half of my house to allow a drain and wall clearance in a new basement bathroom(third/fourth image). The vertical section makes a 90 bend below slab, going under the basement at a 45 and...
  11. Dgeist

Applicable venting for basement bathroom.

Hello, all. I'm in the process of planning the waste and vent paths for a new basement bathroom (lav, toilet, tub/shower). The home has two finished floors above the basement location, each containing an existing bathroom in a near vertical line going up. In planning the venting, I assume rules...
  12. Dgeist

New floor drain questions

In conjunction with a new bathroom I'm installing in my basement, I'll be cutting into a 4" cast iron stack/drain just after it enters the slab and makes a sweep from vertical to horizontal where it turns towards the front of the house and eventually the sewer. I plan on combining the bathroom's...
  13. Dgeist

Bathroom DWV check

Hi, all. I'm in the process of planning a bathroom for my basement. The current stack is in the slab, but there is no rough-in. Can you all check my initial thoughts on drain and venting and make sure I'm headed the right direction. It's a pretty basic 5'x8' layout with one wet wall and a stub...
  14. Dgeist

Removed galvanized service line and pull through poly?

This is a follow to my post about materials and techniques for new residential water service. My current service is galvanized, laid in 1970 but exposed and re-buried a couple years ago, and is about 20-30 inches deep in the front yard (50' or so). I know I could dig it out, but clay in my...
  15. Dgeist

Replacement water service questions:

I'm in the planning stages of replacement for my 55 year old cast iron water service. It's about a 50 foot run from the meter in the right-of-way to the basement wall of the home (cinder block full basement). I'm not a plumber, but have (most of) the skills to perform this myself, I just direct...
  16. Dgeist

Insulating square duct inside soffit

I have a 1960s split-level with an HVAC supply trunk to the upstairs bedrooms housed inside a soffit on the garage ceiling. There is a (poorly plugged) outlet into the garage in the duct floor and near it, the start of some mold growth on the gypsum. I'm guessing the root problem is a...
  17. Dgeist

Location of irrigation Tee and Manifold

Greetings, I'm a DIYer looking at replacing my aging cast-iron (post-meter) residential supply line. Currently, there's a PVC tee inline between the meter and start of the iron pipe feeding an adjacent irrigation manifold cluster. I'm planning on re-plumbing the house supply with 1" soft...
  18. Dgeist

General questions on replacing water service DIY-style

So, my 1964-era galvanized steel service has started to really show symptoms of corrosion blockage. Pressure tests show fine but flow tests are about 25% what they should be at a hose spigot near the house entrance and normal at the street. I'd like to replace the line with 3/4" or 1" flexible...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks