Search results

1. killavolt

Pool tripping GFCI breaker

Exactly. i want to do right thing by the homeoner.
  2. killavolt

I just found out that the previous electricains did work on this circuit left the system open for three weeks and water leaked into the conduit. It's old wire, not THHN or THWN. I told the home owner to contact them and they can pull new wire. The pump is a 1 1/2 HP running amperage is 18.6 and...
  3. killavolt

Replaced the pump motor yesterday brand new Hayward 1 1/2 H.P. I found where someone tied a lighting circuit into the pool's GFCI breaker circuit twist lock 4' sq. I'm gonna disconnect it and try a new pigtail on the pump motor. Water inside the pigtail could cause a ground fault.
  4. killavolt

Thanks fellas, I'm going over today to have another look. I'll report back with results.
  5. killavolt

This is a GFCI breaker, on a dedicated circuit that serves only the pool pump. The neutral and ground buss bars in the panel are not seperated as this is a main panel. I have continuity between the neutral and ground at the pool's twist lock receptacle. I appreciate you taking the time to answer...
  6. killavolt

A friend of mine has an inground pool. The last few days the pump has been tripping the GFCI breaker. He reset the breaker and the pump would run for a while and now the breaker won't reset. He replaced the pump, I replaced the GFCI breaker, making sure the neutral load was installed on the...
  7. killavolt

PVC boxes

You can still use pvc conduit but ground the boxes and devices with green wire pigtails as HJ has suggested.
  8. killavolt

electric outlet

If the device is in crooked (left side higher than right side or vice versa) the electrician didn't fold his wires in correctly and it puts more stress on one side of the device than the other. Make him fix it.
  9. killavolt

PVC boxes

You could use metal boxes with ko's (knockouts) and lock nuts just like if you were running emt (metal conduit). You'll have to glue on threaded adapters in either 1/2'' or 3/4'' depending on which size you are running/
  10. killavolt

220v/50amp to Shop

You may not use Romex underground. You can use UF cable which is rated for direct burial. Myself, I would run pvc conduit and pull your wires through that. In the future, if you need to make a change, it's much easier than digging up the UF.
  11. killavolt

Pinhole in Copper Joint

If you're on a well, low PH can cause pinholes, especially in cold, horizontal runs. A water analysis could point you in the right direction. You would need an ionizer to neutralize the PH. I have seen water from wells with a PH as low as 4.7 which is pretty acidic. If you're not on a well, and...
  12. killavolt

Cooktop

Wow, that's hard. Let a guy pick his poison.....;)
  13. killavolt

How to Bleach Wood

I like Oxalic acid (wood bleach) especially for use on pet stains. It will bleach the stain out without turning the wood white. Depending on the depth and severity of the stain, you may have to apply two or more times to completely bleach out the stains. You can buy Oxalic acid from most home...
  14. killavolt

gift that keeps giving =o)

My mother warned me when I was much younger, never to buy her anything that plugged in for her birthday or for Christmas because anything that plugs in implies work......She never mentioned anything about toilets though....hmmmm.
  15. killavolt

Second floor, no ground

Cut your hole in the wall for a single gang old work box and use a flexible drill bit to drill down through the sill plate into the first floor stud bay. Measure off this hole and drill up from the basement into the same stud bay and fish your wire. Install your old work box, wire up the...
  16. killavolt

Second floor, no ground

I run into a lot of older homes with lath and plaster walls here in Connecticut and most of them have been uninsulated. It's pretty easy to fish wire up to the second floor from the basement in this style of home, especially since the basement is unfinished and should allow easy access. They...
  17. killavolt

DPST switch question

That's what I do...keeps the motorcycle safe when I'm away.
  18. killavolt

Basement finishing questions

Not required in a finished basement. I'm not sure if a finished basement is any less susceptable to moisture than an unfinished one though. GFCI's are still required because of the proximity to the bar sink.
  19. killavolt

Basement finishing questions

You need GFCI protected receptacles in a basement, not only because they're in close proximity to a sink. I wouldn't put the mini fridge and the microwave on the same circuit.
  20. killavolt

Bathroom remodel.Tub removal and shower install.

"99% of Being Smart... Is Knowing What You're Dumb At":eek: Ok, bearing the above statement in mind, why can you take a shower in a bath tub with a 1 1/2" drain? I know code requires a 2" drain for a shower, and you usually have a 4" curb there. How about the vent; if that is 1 1/2" does he have...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks