Search results

1. Smunderdog

Shifting Supply & Return Main Trunks over 3'

Yep - polyiso on the walls and it is already taped with plans on batting the stud spaces once I get the electrical run. I appreciate your contributions to the forum as I definitely read all your posts before jumping into the project!
  2. Smunderdog

Before photo from the middle of the room being finished - facing the furnace: Dropped all the ductwork, vaccumed it all out and slid can lighting over: Finished project with back to the furnace. Sealed up the joints as well:
  3. Smunderdog

Finally getting ready to DIY this project this weekend with the help of a buddy who is a general contractor. Started disassembling the cold air return run this evening...looks to be a fun project. Bonus is that I'll be able to vacuum out all the ductwork while it is apart - haven't had it...
  4. Smunderdog

Chimney ? leak

I had a similar issue - evidence of water leaking through the ceiling around my chimney in the living room. We replaced the flashing and it helped but still had a bit of seepage during heavy rains. Ended up sealing the cap and brick/mortar joints up on the roof and that ended up solving it...
  5. Smunderdog

Hey all! I'm in the process of having local HVAC experts provide me input & estimates on this but thought I'd throw it out here for discussion as well. Ranch home with full basement. 8" tall main trunks for both supply & return run across the basement ceiling below the floor joists for the...
  6. Smunderdog

Basement floor & wall insulation with perimeter drain

That was the only idea I had as well for the wall/joist/ceiling interface - notch the drywall and then caulk the edges. Is FSK tape any different than this foil tape at Lowes? If so, where does one source FSK tape locally (what type of store)?
  7. Smunderdog

Thanks Dana - I actually incorrectly drew the baseplate on the floor foamboard - it will rest on the OSB as you describe. I hadn't quite made it to asking about that gap between the ceiling joists, XPS/Great Stuff foam sealed band joist and the room yet since it will be a little while before...
  8. Smunderdog

A bit more detail before I start putting wall insulation up. In a prior comment I said I was going to use 2" XPS on the walls but I found 4x8 sheets of 1 1/2" polyiso faced with foil on both sides for $13 so I've decided to go with that. So as the diagram shows my stackup from the concrete...
  9. Smunderdog

Dana - thanks so much for your insights both here and in all the other threads on this forum - much appreciated! The top of the drain lip is as high as 2" in some spots - a bit lower in others. I only have 7' from the concrete floor to the bottom of the joists up above, so I need to keep my...
  10. Smunderdog

Getting ready to put foam insulation down on the floor and up on the walls of my basement. I've read through all the other great forum posts but didn't see this addressed. 1957 ranch with a full basement. Previous owners had a perimeter floor drain installed that takes care of the ground...
  11. Smunderdog

Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

Actually the previous owners of the house put this water heater in back in 2004 - not sure if they ever registered it or not, but I didn't have any trouble with getting Jessica on the other end of the 800 number to send this kit out. It arrived as promised this morning by 11 am. The unit is...
  12. Smunderdog

Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

Just a quick note to say thanks for everyone that has contributed to this thread... I just had the opposite experience described above. My unit info is: FG1H5040T3NOV model # 0441108411 serial # (first 4 digits are year and week of manufacture) 0730269 product # It is a Whirlpool branded...
  13. Smunderdog

Washing Machine Drain Question

Doherty, Thanks for the reply...we are on septic (not that it couldn't still back up), but the larger part of this project is to run new 4" PVC from the house to the septic tank to replace the original cast iron pipe currently there. So I'm fairly comfortable taking the risk of going without...
  14. Smunderdog

Washing Machine Drain Question

The 4" main drain line exiting my house goes through the wall of my basement 50" above the floor. My washing machine can be placed within 6' of this drain line. I am able to replumb the main drain line (adding a Y) to add a direct drain for the washing machine, but is there a way to do...
  15. Smunderdog

Replacing Cast Drain Project

Peter - are you talking about where the sink drain meets the tub drain and they connect? I asked above in this post about whether or not there was a reason it was originally run that way and someone else said "no." So the sink drain will be routed directly into the vertical stack when I redo...
  16. Smunderdog

Replacing Cast Drain Project

So I'm wondering if there is a better way to hook my washing machine drain into the system when I re do these drain lines. In the 1st picture in my original post, you can see the clean out for the main drain line that runs horizontally through the wall. The top of this main drain line is 51"...
  17. Smunderdog

Septic line DIY replacement

For those of us playing along at home...is there a reason you used Fernco couplers to join the straight runs of pipe? Is there a benefit to using those instead of couplers you would glue?
  18. Smunderdog

Cast Iron Question

Thanks Jimbo - that is what I thought. Has been working most likely because the vertical 4" run is only 18" or so and then the horizontal 3" run is only another 18" before it hits the 4" main. At least it is that way on the one I'm redoing in the near future... As part of my project of...
  19. Smunderdog

Cast Iron Question

I have a 1957 ranch with what I believe to be the original cast iron drain lines. When this was put in, why would they have used 4" pipe run vertically down from the toilets (only about 18" or so), then transitioned to 3" using a 4 x 3 elbow, then run the 3" to the 4" main line? Why wouldn't...
  20. Smunderdog

Just checking in to see how your sewer line replacement is going...I'm getting ready to start...

Just checking in to see how your sewer line replacement is going...I'm getting ready to start mine next week...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks