Search results

1. Mark_G

Compare Dalton--Carusoe--Drake & Round vs Elongated

We're remodeling two bathrooms to sell the home--so these purchases are more for others than ourselves. I would appreciate feedback on these three Toto models and whether the consensus prefers round or elongated bowls. Thanks for quick feedback! --Mark
  2. Mark_G

Best way to pump naturally flowing artesian

Michigan has one of the most stringent regulations of any state--I've spoken to a cpl of drillers in your state. But the consistent loophole is that if capping the flow will cause other issues, you can at least petition to keep the well flowing. Our does not have a lot of pressure, but imagine...
  3. Mark_G

Best way to pump naturally flowing artesian

We completed drilling our well last December. It's 385', fully cased: 120' @10", 195' @7", 40' @5" into bedrock. Since then, well has been producing 27gpm of clear water at the wellhead that we've piped off to the brook until we complete construction on the house. Flow has been constant...
  4. Mark_G

Best Way to Vent a Shower

A while ago I read somewhere that enclosed showers with high (9'-0") ceilings are best ventilated thru the wall rather than at the ceiling, to capture steam at 8' before it has a chance to condense at 9'. Is this correct? We're at the point of making bathroom ventilation decisions for our new...
  5. Mark_G

Using DHW for spot/limited area radiant heat

I recall reading somewhere about running the DHW supply in loops under a bathroom floor to act as a mini radiant system en-route to lavs, sinks, etc. In the article, the installer used it for small area floor warming, and it did not reduce the spout temp of the water adversely. We're...
  6. Mark_G

Which Elec HW Heater?

We have propane, not natural gas. And prices were averaging $2.78/gal until our last fill-up at $3.25/gal. Electric has been running Summer $0.125 and Winter $0.110 /kwh. We're debating between propane or electric. From your explanations, in real life it sounds as if propane at $3.13/gal...
  7. Mark_G

Which Elec HW Heater?

With all the recent chatter abt electric tanks, I am beginning to reconsider... We're going geo with DSH and 40 or 50 gal storage tank to feed the main HW heater. Orig that was to be propane-fired with quick recovery. We already have big propane tank installed, and what it will be connected...
  8. Mark_G

De-stratyfying air

17'-11" cathedral ceiling in 15x20' great room, with 12/12 pitch. It has been recommended to put a slow-moving ceiling fan up close to the ridge with reverse flow--to pull air off the floor and de-stratify the air. This should make the 2nd floor loft that is partially open to this volume of...
  9. Mark_G

"In Between" Option(s)?

The house will be used year-round, but mostly only 2-3 nights per week. We are trying to tie in with geo desuperheater, which shd provide at least warmed water ahead of it (depending on the season) -- otherwise, incoming temp in the middle of January measured 54º. With 3+ bathrooms and...
  10. Mark_G

"In Between" Option(s)?

What do you think abt Hi Eff Gas--American "Polaris" BW "Ultra Hi Efficiency" others? Thanks for that suggestion--we, too, came to the same conclusion. As an alternate, what do you think about the Bradford White EF-60T or American Water Heaters Polaris (either PGC3-34 or PGC3-50) or Ruud...
  11. Mark_G

"In Between" Option(s)?

MP Mark, My issue is why keep 75 gals of water heated all the time, esp when there will be many days, consistently, of complete inactivity? I don't fully understand the premise of the high efficiency tank heaters. I do understand the flow restrictions of the tankless units--and know...
  12. Mark_G

"In Between" Option(s)?

Chris, good questions. I don't have all the technical details, but hopefully this will help answer your questions: 1000gal propane tank plumbed @high pressure to the house--forget if it is 3/4" or 1" line. We originally sized the propane system to handle house heating also, but are now...
  13. Mark_G

"In Between" Option(s)?

Reviewing the specs again, it doesn't appear the Eternal will give us enough flow (the GU32 is rated 5.2gpm at 80º rise/7.0gpm at 70º). That would be enough to run one bathroom at a time, and not what we're seeking. I have also read about tank-type "high efficiency" water heaters with...
  14. Mark_G

"In Between" Option(s)?

Redwood--appreciate the link. If it does what it claims, that's exactly what I am looking for. Do you have any experience with them? Reliable? Are they readily available? Expensive? How does it compare to the AO Smith Vertex or Ruud AdvantagePlus? Thanks for the feedback, too! --Mark
  15. Mark_G

"In Between" Option(s)?

We're building a new house -- 3½ bathrooms w/showers, (master also has 80 gal tub), large kitchen, dw, etc. Use pattern will be uneven--many days unoccupied, zero demand, then we could have a houseful of up to 6-7 adults on weekends. Originally, we were thinking that the boiler wd make...
  16. Mark_G

Does this make sense?

We're building our "forever" 2700sf home in upstate NY, and are trying to make final decisions on how to heat and cool it. It got down to -11º this winter, and hot & steamy summers are no longer uncommon. Comfort is a big deal, but we will probably occupy the house only 2 or 3 nights/week--we...
  17. Mark_G

In-Line Lint & Pet-Hair Trap

There will be a 3" branch to service the laundry and dog sink, so I wanted something to catch hair and lint from those two sources. We're on septic and I know from experience those two sources can contribute a lot to future problems. The in-floor interceptors look good, but they're...
  18. Mark_G

In-Line Lint & Pet-Hair Trap

I know this has been asked before, but I still haven't seen anything that solves my problem. I would like to insert into a 2" or 3" pvc waste line a trap to catch fine lint (esp from man-made fibers), pet hair and other grunge from the drainline that services our under-construction laundry...
  19. Mark_G

Different "Grades" of PEX?

Plumber says he uses "Pecks" fittings and doesn't know what their composition is. Are there different materials or specs on these fittings? Thank you for clarification! --Mark
  20. Mark_G

Different "Grades" of PEX?

We are just about to have our new home in upstate NY roughed. Are there different grades of PEX (or other supply piping) that we should consider? I would also appreciate thoughts on the 3 things to watch out for in the rough-in installation. Thanks! --Mark
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks