Search results

1. Dorrough

Any experience with Washlet type seats and hard water?

I've always wanted one of the washlet type seats from Toto. The heated seat . . . the warm water . . . the air dry . . . seems so wonderful. Especially since I hope to age in place, and put off the day when anyone has to assist me with cleanup operations. But our water is very hard, over 100...
  2. Dorrough

DIY furnace installation

Thought I'd give everyone a good laugh. Except I'm serious: we currently heat the house with a good-sized Hearthstone wood stove, but it cools down overnight and takes a long time to warm the house if we've been out. So we want to install a furnace in the basement (propane, forced air). There...
  3. Dorrough

How hard is it to build a shower?

I put in my first tile floor this year and it went great. I put down cement board, mortar bed, tiles, laid it all out square and bedded everything level like the book said. It went totally well. The tiles are perfectly flat and level, no edges sticking up anywhere, grout joints are great. So I'm...
  4. Dorrough

Wells in karst cannot be disinfected, it seems

Just an update in case anyone else runs into the same issue. We have a 400 ft + well and it's drilled into karst topology - that means caves. There are lots of caves where we live, and lots of underground hydrology (water) running in underground channels. After a serious slog of research, I...
  5. Dorrough

Did I disinfect my well or not?

We have a deep (400 ft) well, drilled last year. Water has always been crystal clear, but hard. We haven't really used much water until recently installing a shower and toilet (talk about luxury living! big improvement over the last three years). When we first tested the water about a week after...
  6. Dorrough

Help programming my Clack WS-1 (salt dose?)

Hey, thanks to all the help and advice from you guys, the water softener is installed and running! Seems to all be working properly. But we were a bit confused by the regeneration calculations. It's a Clack WS-1 valve, 2 cu ft resin tank (Thermax Thermion) and big old brine tank. The system...
  7. Dorrough

What to do with hard, hard water?

Drilled a new well when we built a home in rural Indiana. Karst country. The driller went through three caves to hit the aquifer, and the well is almost 400 feet deep. We haven't used it much ... several hundred gallons, probably, since we just pumped it into a temporary 250 gallon tank. But now...
  8. Dorrough

Very hard water and tankless?

He wants to install a tankless propane water heater. We have a well, and it's cave water. I mean, it tested at about 100 grains of hardness after we put the well in. Is this going to cause problems with a tankless heater? Do we have to run it through the softener first? It seems that the water...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks