Search results

1. John/Charleston

New tub decision

John, you must have a lot of movement in your subfloor to get a squeak like that? Is the tile cracking anywhere? Next bathroom on this remodel is changing a half bath into a full. On a slab so we're hiring a real plumber to re-route the drain lines but now I'm thinking we might want to go...
  2. John/Charleston

New tub decision

We got installed this evening. The install went reasonably well with the instructions saying that if the subfloor wasn't level to use a mortar bed to set the tub in. We did that and while it took a but of finagling to get it level both ways, I think it all ended well. What do you normally...
  3. John/Charleston

New tub decision

Yes, I was pretty disappointed with that supplier's knowledge overall. For cost, expediency and ease we've decided on the Sterling Ensemble tub + surround. I thought I'd seen tips on how to do the mortar bed under the tub for a solid feel but I can't find it on this site. Was it my...
  4. John/Charleston

New tub decision

Thanks. I was concerned mostly about the Sterling/vikrell durability. It may be a moot point as I'm not finding much in the way of multi-piece remodel kits other than Vikrell. I've handled the CI tubs before and yes, it's a bear but you only do it once so I was willing. It's mainly a...
  5. John/Charleston

New tub decision

I'm helping my daughter remodel her first home, a 1975 townhouse. The original tub/shower was 60x32 fiberglass and had cracked around the drain so it's history. We were planning on a cast iron tub with tile surround but of course budget is raising it's ugly head and we're now looking at an...
  6. John/Charleston

Gas line questions

Well yes, using brass to steel to brass seemed odd to me but if it's a logical way to go, I'm ok with it. I don't think I've ever seen fittings put together like that before and was just making sure there wasn't something not-right with the idea. As for the regulator, I figured that was...
  7. John/Charleston

Gas line questions

Here's the situation: There's a gas line run thru the floor of the kitchen where the customer wants a base cabinet. It's newly run with some of that flexible line under the house and comes thru the floor with a nice flange around it. It's a 3/4 line that has a 3/4-1/2 adapter right about at...
  8. John/Charleston

Standard height help please NO ADA

Old thread.... I have to correct my post from two posts ago... My customer must have been 98 at that time because we just celebrated his 100th birthday in Feb. Not sure if he still doesn't like his toilet height, but at least it hasn't killed him!
  9. John/Charleston

Help with yet another bath drain configuration please and thank you.

Working on this only when I don't have other work going so I'm just getting back to it. Thanks for the above link Terry, it's helpful. I was planning on going with a configuration similar to my pic in post #4 of this thread. I repeated the pic here. The changes I'll make are to add...
  10. John/Charleston

There is a cleanout. The iron goes under the exterior wall soon after the fitting I took a pic of and in the other direction it ties into the other bathroom. It'd be a lot of work just to remove a small percentage of iron.
  11. John/Charleston

Got interrupted here but yes, it is Nibco Durapex. That's mostly what the plumbing supply stores around here sell and what most plumbers use. I've never heard of it "micro splitting" or of much other problems with it (except i had a customer who had a rat chew thru his). I have very...
  12. John/Charleston

The arm would only end up about 24" from the vanity trap to the vent. OK wet vent with 1-1/2? Start the 1-1/2 with the trap? This might clarify my other question:
  13. John/Charleston

I think I got it, thanks. So does the pipe still need to be up sized in a wet vent if the distance between the fixture's trap and the weir is not enough to bring the weir below the bottom of the trap? I could move the vertical vent closer to the vanity if needs be.
  14. John/Charleston

The comprehension problem was mine... I thought you were saying wet vented was not OK but that's not what you were saying. At what point would I need to switch to 2" coming from the lav? Directly from the lav so that the trap would also be 2" or somewhere else?
  15. John/Charleston

I really don't mind the work of venting the vanity but it would mean draining it back under the house which means adding another fixture to the stack (I think) which doesn't fit under the floor. Below is a pic of the iron I'm fernco-ing onto. If I cut the collar off the top of that iron...
  16. John/Charleston

Dang it Terry, I thought I was going to understand your answer! Do you mean to say it wouldn't be wet vented if one or more of the lines were sized differently? And is wet venting the same thing as "S trapped?
  17. John/Charleston

This is sort of what I'm looking to do. The vent stack would technically be a "wet vent" if I understand the terminology because the lav would be using it as both a drain and vent. Is that what you're saying?
  18. John/Charleston

Well here we're required to have engineer-stamped plans for such work. I'd like to stick with code but I can't see paying an engineer for approval on the framing changes I already made two years ago when I re-did the hall bath. Adding a vent would likely not be that difficult but so far...
  19. John/Charleston

Sooo...is there any reason to think my slightly changed plan wouldn't work as well? PVC smaller diameter? Shower drain line too long? Or is it that even if it works fine, it's not code compliant?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks