Search results

1. protech

Solar pool heater. Should I cover?

Just buy a commercially made solar pool collector. I don't know what possesses some many people to try and make their own solar collectors. They only cost a couple hundred bucks for pete's sake! http://lakelandplumbers.co
  2. protech

Connecting two solar HW panels

Without knowing where the system in located geographically and what kind of system it is (active-direct, passive direct, active indirect glycol, active indirect drain aback, integrated collector-storage, etc etc) there is no way to answer your question. We need more info. As a general shot from...
  3. protech

Solar water heater plumbing .... can this be right?

Is that an open loop tank? It looks like an american water heater co. open loop solar tank. If that is the case, the stickers on the tank mean nothing as the tanks come with the dip tubes taped to the side of the tank and you have to field install them. Since what ever port you install each type...
  4. protech

No drain trap is ok?

Every plumbing fixture must have a trap. You got screwed. Sorry. Write lots of bad reviews if they refuse to fix it. http://leakdetectionwinterhaven.com
  5. protech

I have 2 30yo collectors that I want to hook up direct to the cold water to the Water

As others have already stated, running the panels in series with the tank will result in very poor solar fraction (probably 10% or less). You need to install a differential controller and circulation pump if you want to get any benefit from the panels. You will also want to install a tank big...
  6. protech

Leak in solar panel

Actually, it not ABS it's usually polypropylene. I'm not aware of a panel on the market that use can repair with a 3/8"ID cts pushfit fitting. To the OP: If leaks keep reoccurring, You are probably patching them wrong. Most panel damage is either from freezing or over pressure due to a closed...
  7. protech

Solar Drainback Water Heating System

That system is known as a "drain down" system procooper. Not to be confused with a "drainback" system.
  8. protech

Need advise on Electric Water heater - Rheem or Bradford White or other

I install active direct systems usually as they have the lowest life cycle cost in this area. After rebates and incentives it could cost you as little as $2275 and could have a solar fraction of 90% (that's how much it would reduce your water heating costs). If I assume that you are currently...
  9. protech

Don't get the Rheem, get a Stiebel Eltron Accelera. Rheem has sold out. They are not the brand they were a decade ago. Stiebel Eltron makes the most technologically advanced heaters on the market IMHO. I have taken several apart on service calls. None of them were actually broken though. It...
  10. protech

Unless you live in a lean-too, I don't see how you can only have a north facing roof....... If you want energy efficiency, then solar is the way to go. Or possibly a heat pump heater though they are less reliable. If going with a heat pump I would recommend the Stiebel Eltron Accelera. I...
  11. protech

What are your expectations out of the heater? Are you looking for high output? Energy savings? Space savings? What sort of usage patterns is it going to see? How many people will be living in the home full time?
  12. protech

Replacing Existing Solar Water Heater

I'm going to have to correct a few things aaron. 1. red brass is worse, not better from a galvanic cell corrosion stand point. Personally, I would leave those dielectric nipples in and just make sure that they are installed correctly and you won't have any problems with corrosion. You have...
  13. protech

Solar Drainback Water Heating System

I say you are fretting and spending all kinds of money that you don't need to. There are thousands of active-direct systems installed in central Florida many of which have been operating fully automatically for 20-30 years. Wanna see some pictures? I have tons. It's just not worth the extra...
  14. protech

Different Solar Water Heater Options

We don't install open loop systems any farther north than Ocala FL.
  15. protech

I'm surprised that you haven't had the collector freeze. I don't work that far north but the general consensus among solar professionals is that you are to far north for a direct low mass system. Do you manually drain the collector down in a freeze event? I wouldn't trust an Eaton freeze valve...
  16. protech

That would be the most energy efficient, but it would also have a very high initial cost and a longer payback time.
  17. protech

For commercial spa systems I use ethylene glycol with glazed collectors. For residential pools and spas I use polymer drain back systems.
  18. protech

All DHW systems here in central Fl are direct. I have never seen an indirect system here as there is no reason to have them here.
  19. protech

I install AET almost exclusively. I can vouch for their product. I have serviced many systems with AET panels that were far older than a decade and those panels were still cranking out heat.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks