Search results

1. dimprov

Tankless the only option? - MultiHead Shower

Just how accurate are tempering valves? Is it +/- 1 degree, +/- 5 degrees, +/- 10 degrees, or +/- 20 degrees? I read that they are somewhat crude and can have large +/- temp variation, but I couldn't find any info beyond that. It would force you to set the water temp low enough so that the...
  2. dimprov

How quiet is a Rinnai tankless, *really*?

The Navien rep told me, and this is a direct quote: "The decibel rating of our units range from 25-30. It is much quieter than our competition. You will not hear our burner or fan unless you have your ear up to the unit." If true, then they've won my heart and I'm buying Navien as soon as...
  3. dimprov

Any issues in using propylene glycol in a tankless?

I just spoke to Navien. They said not only do they not ding your warranty if you recirculate, but their unit comes with a recirculation pump already built in. The built-in buffer tank is 1/2 gallon, which they said is enough to prevent cold water sandwich. I asked for a copy of the...
  4. dimprov

I'll assume natural gas, because that's my fuel source. Is it just my false impression or is the dividing line between tankless and boilers is starting to fuzz over? In its favor, a boiler clearly assumes you're going to recirculate the water, and so it doesn't ding your warranty if you do...
  5. dimprov

It shouldn't change your decision, but one possible gotcha I just realized: somewhere down the line one of your units goes bad and needs to be replaced. Not a problem now, but in the future maybe that model is no longer made. :eek: What then? Will the tandem/manifold controller work with a...
  6. dimprov

Non-potable. Closed-loop hydronic system for heating. Exterior, wall-mounted unit. Any issues with performance, maintenance, warranties, etc.? If it matters, I'm gravitating toward a Rinnai. I'm dealing with meager data and unscientific anecdotes, but it points toward Rinnai as being...
  7. dimprov

Nicholas, With those facts and choices, it seems like a no brainer, provided you have the space. Consider: 1. You would need to maintain the GU32 as well. 2. Odds are against both Rinnai's failing simultaneously. So, if one goes bad, you still have one to limp along on until you can...
  8. dimprov

Tank / Tankless Combo

Nick, You may find this comparison chart helpful: http://www.focusonenergy.com/data/common/dmsFiles/R_RR_REFR_PreqlNatGasWH90Per0707v2.pdf It lists condensing water heaters from various manufacturers that have thermal efficiency of 90% or greater. The Rheem HE45-199 looks to be of...
  9. dimprov

Thanks for the correction, BimmerRacer. I thought it was your initials.
  10. dimprov

Thanks for running the test, YMMV. It proves that loudness varies with demand, and therefore a single number of 49 db(a) can't be right. I think I'll assume 49 db(a) is the low end. If the newer Rinnai units manifold the way the older Rinnai units did, then by running 3 Rinnai tankless...
  11. dimprov

One thing different about the Eternal is that it's minimum BTU consumption is 47,500. That's more than 2x a Rinnai or Bosch. I happen to have the actual BTU figures documented in another thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26964 David
  12. dimprov

BimmerRacer, Does its loudness vary depending upon demand (i.e. maximal versus minimal water heating, such as all taps open versus a single faucet)? David
  13. dimprov

For instance, Eternal gives the "maximum noise" for it's different models, although it's ambiguous as to whether Eternal's db refers to db(a) or some other reference. Ideally, I'd like to see the SPL's at different frequencies so I could pick the most appropriate soundproofing materials, but...
  14. dimprov

I'm considering the purchase of multiple Rinnai tankless hot water heaters for a remodelling project where maintaining quiet is one of the design objectives. Rinnai claims its tankless units are quiet, and claims a noise level of 49 db(a) across its range of tankless models--see attached...
  15. dimprov

Ever see a lead toilet connection like this before?

I guess you mean the transition at the bottom? I toook some closer photos. I could post if it might shed any light. What would be the motivation for using this type of connection? The house is vintage 2001 built by a major, publicly traded builder, not some crackerjack outfit. David
  16. dimprov

Ever see a lead toilet connection like this before?

It apparently penetrats the slab, and then somehow was grafted/soldered to regular 3" PVC below. But how did they do it? I presume they used lead because it could deform (which, as you can see, it apparently did) when the slab was poured and subsequently expanded? But why go to such an...
  17. dimprov

PEX Rodents Problem, Please Read!

Seriously, fostapex has an aluminum sheathing around the PEX core. I'm not saying a rodent is incapable of chewing through it, but would it want to? When you were a kid, did you ever try chewing on aluminum foil? You stopped pretty quickly, didn't you? You get some kind of horrible...
  18. dimprov

PEX Rodents Problem, Please Read!

Is Fostapex more resistant to rodent attack? What about other sheathed forms of pex? David
  19. dimprov

Is copper more quiet than pvc?

I took a closer look, and it's actually a NAIL that's partially supporting the drain. The nail is supporting one side, and the wooden block the other. Is this common? It apparently works, but it doesn't look very comfortable for the pipe. Anyway, I'd still like to know what the best way...
  20. dimprov

Straight Talk About "On-Demand Tankless Water Heaters by A.O. Smith

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I think I'll price out a CMU or ICF exterior structure. They look fairly easy to build. By the way, 60 Minutes did a show sometime in the last year or two on sleep deprivation. A sleep lab used intermittent sound to disrupt the deep sleep of young...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks