Search results

1. mherman

Another bathroom drain/vent question

Excellent. Thanks, Terry! And thanks to you too, 69. Luckily the water doesn't need to run through my drawing. <grin>
  2. mherman

Another bathroom drain/vent question

the plumber i'm talking with here, in chicago, is telling me this basement bath plan won't work. he doesn't object to the AAV. he says i need two of them. i think it works with just the one. this is similar, but not exactly same, as some other posts. thanks for your guidance on this one...
  3. mherman

comments on new laundry config?

thanks, guys. i'm gonna make it spit into the sink. too bad they don't make bowl-shaped utility tubs with a hookup that would swirl it clean. :D
  4. mherman

sorry... this is one picture of two floors. kitchen sink is upstairs immediately above basement laundry sink. i just wanted to show the whole of what this stack is used for. above kitchen, everything vents up to roof exactly as it should. this is 85-year old original work. i can accept...
  5. mherman

i have one 1.5" opening to run laundry drain into the base of kitchen sink stack. the question is should i drain the washer into the sink and the sink into a regular 1.5" drain -- OR -- can some sort of standpipe arrangement still work in this situation? if i use 2" pipe narrowed to 1.5"...
  6. mherman

Toilet upstream of lav - how to vent?

in my pic, the 2" goes all the way from black 4" drain to the roof. i noted that the horizontal 2" under the floor is three feet long, not a type referring to 3" pipe, if that's what you mean. i think the code wants 2" to the top. i've got the 2" on site and shrinking it wouldn't change...
  7. mherman

okay, so after a lot of puzzling and measuring and puzzling some more, i figured out how to run proper (i think) vent and hide the thing in a way that i think is solid and my in-house inspector (and her stricter code!) will approve. now... does this work for you guys?
  8. mherman

yes, thanks. i was looking at that option last night, as well. it could work, but it could also end up being a really sloppy-looking solution. so i'm still puzzling on something that will be a bit more tidy. the drain line in teh wall has to jog out and run through the floor, so it doesn't...
  9. mherman

Will This Improve My Water Pressure?

fwif, i just finished repiping my whole house. first time i ever did any sort of plumbing with copper, 1/2" and 3/4". turned out great, as inspected by a buddy of mine who works as a pipefitter. not much difference, i think, between 1/2 and 3/4. but get mapp gas, not propane. and practice a...
  10. mherman

i know it won't freeze, but wondering if such a pipe would be just darned cold to have exposed in the house when it was sub-zero outside. wondered if the air inside would be 50˚ rising out of the drain or very freezing, dropping in from the roof. is there a simple extension pipe, or an...
  11. mherman

do i need to be concerned about that pipe being very cold in the middle of winter? does warmer air rise out of the drain or cold air drop from the vent in the unheated attic?
  12. mherman

not rationalizing a bad job at all. AM actively looking for a solution that will work AND that is workable in the current construction of the room, i.e. not weaken existing structures AND that will not just look crummy. i know what looks good and not, i know what is inside and around these...
  13. mherman

thanks, terry, and the others who've chimed in. i've been checking out the studor and measuring how it can fit. the sink is a very small pedestal. drain to wall is only 6 7/8. so no room for the studor anywhere except inside the wall, atop the drain pipe. the wall is not deep enough for...
  14. mherman

mmm... if i understand your drawing, terry... you're adding the studor to my original plan, and changing my santee mistake to a wye? a few inches of horizontal vent are okay then?
  15. mherman

not possible to go up from lav. the wall is shallow (2x2) furring on brick, has a finished floor right above it, and it's such a small room we've need a small pedestal sink, so even room to run it outside the wall. if there was no sink, what's the proper way to vent the toilet by itself?
  16. mherman

oh, right... that whole thread. of course. okay, then... is there such a thing as 4x4x2 wye for vent? would that solve anything? run the drain all the way to the vent? like this... (or is that just a bigger horizontal vent?)
  17. mherman

lavatory shares toilet vent? thanks in advance for whatever anyone here can suggest. i've scanned this site and many others trying to find a similar situation, but can't find a clear answer. we have an old pantry that's becoming a powder room. this is what i want to do. tell me where it's...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks