Search results

1. Seaofnames

Vent for Roman Tub

You can't run horizontal venting until you are above the flood plain of that fixture, using whatever measurement your local code states.
  2. Seaofnames

Low water flow/pressure

I would have just used copper all the way around. The 3/4" plastic pipe has about the same diameter as 1/2" copper. 1" plastic pipe should have been used to equal the 3/4" copper ID inside the house. Are there any kinks in the copper line?
  3. Seaofnames

First time installing dishwasher, elbow connection question

Replace all the old parts. If you have to cut a bit into the wall, do it. It will save you the hassle of leaks or other repairs later.
  4. Seaofnames

Low water flow/pressure

Was the old city supply PVC as well? Check the inlet screens on faucets and softner.
  5. Seaofnames

1950 home on slab, returns on floor

Sounds like a low point in the system. Condensation is building up on all of the vertical runs or the duct work is pitched slightly so it all runs down to the bottom where the water is collecting. A small hole drilled where the water collects would drain the water out of the duct work, but...
  6. Seaofnames

Fiberglass shower basin out of level-help

I'd yank it up pretty quick to avoid more serious damage in the floor around the shower basin. Like others said, sounds like a handyman tried but failed to do this work even half properly!!
  7. Seaofnames

Drain maintenance

Do you have any large trees in your front yard? How old is the house? Any idea what type of drain pipe you have in the front yard? If you doubt anything, get it done with a camera as well, and burn a copy on DVD. I know you are talking about drainage, but supply lines could also be...
  8. Seaofnames

An All-metal Dishwasher Air Gap

Like cast iron or stainless steel? copper? titanium? Why do you need a 'metal' one? There is a reason why all of them are plastic. They all work well and you could possibly void the warranty if any of your home made fixes cause any problems.
  9. Seaofnames

Pin Hole Leaks in Kinston Brass Faucets

Is your water hard or soft? Water pressure? Cheap brass?
  10. Seaofnames

Two hot and two cold 1/2 inch water lines any valve to use.

Same. I dont have a meter on my place, but even if I did, I wouldnt waste the money on a rain head or other shower "accessories." Showers are meant to be for cleaning oneself and sure relaxing for a few minutes, but if you want relaxing take a bath with some scented candles. :p
  11. Seaofnames

AAV Placement Confusion

You'd be ok with 2" vent. You dont want to oversize venting as well. Keep pitch on the vent so gases can rise. There is no other requirement for length or anything as long as the horizontal run is over the flood line(which you are if you are in the attic!!) The other thing to consider...
  12. Seaofnames

Woods cabin DWV

I need a scale drawing, sorry. Just kidding! I dont know the code for your area, it seems fine though. If you wanna be cool, add a cleanout where the vent goes up.
  13. Seaofnames

New Dishwasher Plumbing Questions

Pretty much what Jimbo said. That S trap is terrible. Cleanout not needed for a sink/dishwasher especially. The vertical drop should be on the sink side of the trap, allowing you room to put the dishwasher wye in. Blah blah Good luck!
  14. Seaofnames

AAV Placement Confusion

If it fails when someone is not home the traps are siphoned dry, leaving methane to build up in the home. Then your furnace lights up and BAM. I'm sure your far away neighbour would notice if your house blew up. Then they ask you if you've done any work to the house recently or insurance...
  15. Seaofnames

Can I use vent line in attic?

I'd only be concerned about the temperature for the first foot or so coming out of the steam generator since it is so hot. Just make sure the pipe you have can handle the temperature. Most PVC/CPVC can handle that, but its always nice to have it over done a bit. By the time its a foot or so...
  16. Seaofnames

Can I use vent line in attic?

I'd call a pro that is familiar with this type of installation and ask him/her. You may want a copper/steel vent at this point to handle the temperature of the unit. I dont see a problem with having an 'emergency' drain going down the vent of the one plumbing stack for your rancher, but...
  17. Seaofnames

Extender for faucet spout shank

Then boring/cutting a hole(from the underside) IS the easiest way!! Buying adaptors/extensions and other weird parts can get pricey and possibly take a few days/weeks to get, unless your local plumbing supply store has one or knows what exactly what you need.
  18. Seaofnames

Extender for faucet spout shank

What is your countertop made out of? If its wood/particle board, drill out most of the thickness with a hole saw so its only the depth of a normal countertop or whatever will fit for the normal sized shank.
  19. Seaofnames

What the heck is this?!?!

The use of an AAV depends on your local code allowing it. If it is allowed, it should be the last option, as it seems to be for yourself(since you want it easy). Remember that an AAV has moving parts and is will fail at one point. You dont want any other trap other than a P-trap...
  20. Seaofnames

Water Pressure

Why does it matter? You shouldnt be exposing it to over 80# over the span of its life, or the pipes either. They might test it to 100# or so. Why dont you call the ASME hotline? :P I'm sure someone knows a real answer.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks