Search results

1. amateur_plumber

Post-power failure - bladder tank lost pressure - time to replace?

Valveman, thanks, I'll consider that when shopping for a tank. So far, I'm doing ok with this old one, after I charged it up. I'm considering also adding a cycle-stop valve to protect the longevity of my new-ish pump, which I had replaced last year. If I'm running a 40/60 pressure switch do I...
  2. amateur_plumber

What do you think of the WellMate as a replacement candidate? It's pretty humid down in my plumbing corner of the basement, and composite seems a better choice than steel - are they reasonably durable?
  3. amateur_plumber

Thanks, it's an Amtrol Well X-Trol WX-203 (32 gallon). It's got a fair amount of exterior rust - I suspect it's the original tank installed when the house was built (1981-ish).
  4. amateur_plumber

We had six days of power loss here in CT - when the power finally came back on, I noticed the pump was cycling on and off almost continuously. Specifically, my first shower, I noticed the pressure would decrease and then increase noticeably (with the lights flickering slightly) -- this...
  5. amateur_plumber

Review - Toto Promenade Elongated ADA C424EF

Right - I should have specified, you only need to sand around the bolt holes inside the tank, where the rubber washers connect.
  6. amateur_plumber

Review - Toto Promenade Elongated ADA C424EF

Just installed a new Promenade. The Model No. on the box is C424EF, but from Toto's website, it more closely matches this: http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail/tabid/75/Default.aspx?ProductId=27196995-0ac5-47e5-ace6-7c5d93abe7e8&SearchId=e4bc9c5c-f87a-46c9-8417-e84c1d717c47 I had actually sent...
  7. amateur_plumber

Hi - I understand you're in CT - I need pump service in Brookfield CT (no water pressure) anyone...

Hi - I understand you're in CT - I need pump service in Brookfield CT (no water pressure) anyone you'd recommend? I'm thinking of calling Foley - any experience with them? Appreciate it. my email: jeremypoetker@msn.com
  8. amateur_plumber

American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

I know this is an old post, but this information alone tipped me over the edge - I will NOT consider buying American Standard anything at this time. Even if the quality was OK prior to this event, I'd put money that corners have been cut since. I don't know much about plumbing but I know a...
  9. amateur_plumber

Pressure boost - 30psi tank w 30/50 switch - boost to 40/60?? good idea?

You don't see a fix possible? In other words, drill a new 150+' hole and start over? I'll do it if I have to but I might have to wait for some nice bailout money. :rolleyes: We actually notice an increase in sand when we get extended heavy rain as well. The filter generally lasts a month...
  10. amateur_plumber

Yeah, my dad (former farmer) also told me it was strange that a well would produce any sand at all -- even the usual small amount that I can control with these whole-house filters. He thought it might be a defective screen. Is this a labor-instensive job we're talking? Multi-hour...
  11. amateur_plumber

One more problem Another problem - I don't know if it's related - After flushing for about 20 min and putting on another replacement filter, now I have major BLOCKAGE FROM THE WATER SOFTENER. Softener is downstream from the filter, so I don't think softener is full of sand - maybe though...
  12. amateur_plumber

By the way I did this and no water spraying out the valve. The bladder makes a lot of clicking and creaking noises as it charges to 60 - but I think it made those noises before.
  13. amateur_plumber

Update Thanks everyone - very helpful, here's an update/response: Yes, I did empty the tank, turn off power, and drain system before testing pressure on the tank, and getting the low reading. I did pump it up to 38 and it held the pressure ok. Replaced the pressure switch with a new...
  14. amateur_plumber

So, I have a big (42 gal?) pressure tank that says on its side "factory charged to 30 psi" It also has a 30/50 sqaure D pressure switch that I think needs changing. Reason I think it needs changing: when pressure drops to 30, pump kicks on. Pressure gets to around 50 then shoots up to 65...
  15. amateur_plumber

MYSTERY PART - and it's LEAKING - please tell me what this is

Yup - there's a box with a "Square D" logo on it, and the electric runs in and out of there. I assumed it was just boosting the voltage up to 240. When I get home from work, I'll pull off the cover (power off first) and see if there's any obvious rust or corrosion. Forgot to check the...
  16. amateur_plumber

Hmmm, I'm trying to remember exactly how it happened. The pump may have shut itself off and then back on again after spiking to 100. I was more focused on the gauge and the PRV coughing and sputtering, not listening to the pump. It did balance out pretty quickly - we'll see if that ever...
  17. amateur_plumber

Thanks Bob, I'll check the pressure tonight after I get home. We have lots of laundry and dishwashing backlog, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to observe. Other than monitoring the pressure, what other diagnostics can I do as a DIY? I don't mind calling in a pro, but the last guy we...
  18. amateur_plumber

Re female - that was my mistake - I thought the threads belonged to the pipe and not the release, which is why I thought the release was female. I discovered this when I actually removed the part. So I didn't need the adapter, just screwed it in, along with a new pressure gauge. By the way...
  19. amateur_plumber

Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

Point taken, Mark, not offended. Certainly I soaked all my propane connections in leak bubble test fluid - all looked good to start, but I had bubbles after 10 minutes on the connections to the valve (manifold tube and pilot tube). My own connections from the source were fine...
  20. amateur_plumber

Thanks everyone - here's an update. I just picked up a new pressure relief valve at Lowe's - unfortunately I can't find a female version and my favorite plumbing supply shop is not open Sundays. Will just have to throw an adapter on. Good idea about changing the pressure gauge while I've...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks