Search results

1. GBH

Resuming water to a house

Hi. I have a sister with mental health issues that shut her water off I believe in the fall of 2021. I am in her town now trying to help her out, and resuming water to the house is one of my goals. For context her house is in the White Center area of Seattle and was built in 1946. One bed...
  2. GBH

Can this valve be rebuilt (or other ideas)?

Hi. I've been in my house since 1997. The pictures shown have been this way the entire time. The red handle sends water to the sprinkler manifold. After blowing out the sprinklers this year the red handle valve is leaking a bit. I have a bucket under the blue handle valve for the time...
  3. GBH

Idea for covering gas heater vent hole in ceiling?

Hi. A gas water heater was replaced by an electric. There is a hole in the ceiling where the vent stack was. I'd rather not patch the hole in case a gas heater goes back. Anyone have an idea for a plastic or metal plate/disk that I could cover with instead? Been trolling the hardware stores...
  4. GBH

Wax ring guidance on 4" pipe

Hello. I've been replacing the toilets in my father's house. All the toilet drain plumbing is 4" pipe. Slab foundation, built in 1970, Florida. I purchased regular wax rings and have installed two toilets so far using "by-the-book" instructions. Place wax ring on toilet, carefully set in...
  5. GBH

12" rough-in is 11.5"

At my father's house and the tank cracked on one of the toilets. It is a 12" rough-in, but tile on the wall has made it 11.5" The toilet that is in place now (the one that just cracked) touches the wall. The lid sits properly on the tank best I can tell. The cracked toilet was installed...
  6. GBH

Toilet seat w/stainless hinges

Hi All, I'm trying to find an elongated, white, closed front, stainless hinge, toilet seat and am not having much luck. Attached is a pick of the hinge style I'm looking for. Does such a beast exist? Cheers, Gary
  7. GBH

Repeatedly clogging bathroom sink

Ever since we've been in this house (~11 years), the master bath sink slowly clogs every 4 months or so. The culprit is a slow build-up of this nasty slime, until the sink barely drains. Then I disconnect the stopper, remove the trap, and push the slime out with a stick and toilet paper...
  8. GBH

Thicker wax rings without horns

I've been noticing that the general opinion on this board is the wax rings with horns should be avoided. I have recently tiled a bathroom and the flange with 1/2" Oatey extender is about 1/16" above the tile surface. It was recommended here to use a thicker wax ring. Question, can one buy a...
  9. GBH

Floor joists near flange

I'm preparing to put down tile in a bath area, and I'm having to do a substantial amount of floor reinforcement. Yesterday I pulled up a bunch of plywood to box off sections, and was able to see a good portion of the plumbing. I noticed the toilet flange does not have floor joists on two sides...
  10. GBH

Weak flush

Hi all. First post. Longstanding problem. I'm tired of it.:mad: Been in this house 10 years. Two baths, two toilets separated by a wall. Both are cheapo AS Plebes. Toilet #1 has never had what I would call a strong flush, but has only clogged a very few times in 10 years. Bath #2 has a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks