Search results

1. jamiedolan

Toilet Installation - New Construction

A note about your flooring: Tile for a bathroom isn't normally very many sqft, so it should not be too expensive to have professionally installed. I'd hire someone for the tile install since you don't have any experience. Tile done wrong (not level, poor spacing, etc) looks horrible and isn't...
  2. jamiedolan

Burried Natural Gas Pipe

That pipe is less than a foot underground, do you think it should be dug up and replaced or at least inspected? What kind of pipe is it that feeds the gas meter from the gas co? Here it is some kind of metal pipe that comes straight out of the ground that is normally painted grey or the color...
  3. jamiedolan

Burried Natural Gas Pipe

Hello again; The pipe you see that comes through the concrete is my main gas line that comes into the house, this is direct buried. It looks more like galvanized to me. It is wrapped on the outside. It was installed in 1963. I'm not trying to argue that it is correct by any means, just...
  4. jamiedolan

Burried Natural Gas Pipe

I must be confused or they approve of using different materials here for some reason. When my dad built his detached workshop about 5 years ago, he used the standard black epoxy coated pipe that you see at all the home centers, he buried that in the ground, doing nothing special to the joints...
  5. jamiedolan

Burried Natural Gas Pipe

Now that you say that, I am quite sure this is not really iron and I am using the wrong terminology. I am sure the pipe I use is the epoxy coated steel pipe. Do you apply something to the joints beyond a thread compound(retorseal, / harvyseal) prior to applying the pipe wrap? Thanks Jamie
  6. jamiedolan

Is it ok to use two of the three existing 12/3 wire?

1. Bathroom outlets need to be on a 20A circuit that is just for bathroom outlets, if it is just used for outlets it can be shared with multiple bathrooms. Or you can have the entire bathroom one one 20A circuit, including the lighting if it is not shared with other bathrooms. 2. GFCI outlets...
  7. jamiedolan

Burried Natural Gas Pipe

Hello; I'm running a new gas line to my outdoor grill, 24" deep. I've never buried gas pipe before. I've installed quite a bit of black iron inside, and am completely comfortable with laying and fitting the pipe, including pressure testing the system. It is also legal here to perform the...
  8. jamiedolan

Proper Drain / vent setup for Dish Washer

Excellent. Thanks again for helping me get this figured out! jamie
  9. jamiedolan

Cool, perfect solution, I'll hunt one of those down and install it. Do you think I am ok making the dishwasher hose a few feet longer if necessary? Thanks Jamie
  10. jamiedolan

Ok, will do. Do I need the Air gap to be exposed just above the sink as was shown in a photo here, or can the same thing be accomplished just below the sink where it will not be exposed? Thanks very much Jamie
  11. jamiedolan

Thank you both for your responses. If I route the drain hose under the cabinet base to the main sink base, it won't really be a very long run. If I need a couple extra feet on that dishwasher hose to reach to the disposal, can I just replace the dishwasher hose with some of that flexible...
  12. jamiedolan

HI guys; I've made a few posts here in the electrical forum, new to the plumbing area. I hope you can help me out with a question on the drain setup for my new kitchen. Thanks much in advance. I am doing a full gut and remodel on my kitchen. The main counter will be a U shape design...
  13. jamiedolan

plastic or metal junction boxes

If a plastic box is UL listed as a fixture / junction box, then it is fine to use for either. Use the correct box where necessary and it is all legal, metal or plastic. Jamie *I am pretty sure there are some schd 80 plastic rated for exposed work, but am not positive, I use metal.
  14. jamiedolan

DIY Again

No offense intended to the OP or anyone else. Frenchie; I just wanted to say I agree with you. I have experienced and tried to explain this to people I know in real life and some people have a really hard time understanding my point. It's kind of a question of what your skilled at, if...
  15. jamiedolan

Simple security system install

By 2 3 way motion sensors for $17 each at Lowes or *******. I believe the brand they carry is rated for non-lighting loads, but double check the package to make sure it is ok to install something other than just a light and that you are in the correct amp/watt range for the motion sensor. Not...
  16. jamiedolan

wire gauge change mid circuit

I would ensure the 12 awg in your panel is clearly labeled "warning connected to 14awg wire, must be protected by 15A breaker" Yes, I have seen this done, and I don't know why they did it either. It is wrong. You can have a smaller gage wire connected to the 12gage and maintain 20A...
  17. jamiedolan

need second opinion- safe elec. heater install

Glad to hear you checked with them, I was hoping there would be a conversion. They (manufacture) specifically said some models were able to be converted from 208 to 240 and some where not. Unfortunately you found out yours was not. I am really glad to hear you checked, too many people listen...
  18. jamiedolan

He obviously doesn't even understand very basic electrical concepts. I just checked with the manufacture and some of these units are dual rated 208/240 and are convertible. That does not mean you can hook it up as it. Jamie
  19. jamiedolan

plastic or metal junction boxes

Most plastic boxes are not rated for exposed work, i.e. concrete walls in the basement. So metal is much easier to use there. I've had some bad luck with some styles of plastic boxes cracking and breaking when installing them. I am sure some of the plastic boxes are better than others, I...
  20. jamiedolan

There is no practical way to change your 240v service to 208v. I strongly suggest you do not hook up that unit as is. I would either get the correct heater. Or speak directly with the tech department at the heater company and discuss the situation with them to see if there is a field...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks