Search results

1. KCEdds

Can mold grow inside a drain pipe in a shower?

Hi Gabe, We have a 2" pipe and it seems to be filled with water all the way, although I have to look kind of far down to see it. As of right now we only have that initial layer of concrete poured. And it was done by the tile guy and it definitely angles towards the drain, down from the...
  2. KCEdds

Thanks everyone for your replies. What is weird is that when the old concrete was removed the smell went away. We had to wait an entire week for a new drain part to be delivered (it was an odd size) and all that time where only the drain pipe and the wood subflooring was visible, there was no...
  3. KCEdds

Every six months I use a snake to get out the giant hairballs that accumulate from my wife's long hair and it smells nasty. But I just had the concrete sub-floor in my stand-in shower replaced because it was crumbling and smelled horrible. Now the new concrete has been poured in but I think...
  4. KCEdds

Finding correct wax seal for 70-year old bathroom. Smell won't go away!

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions to this post. I hired a tile guy to rip up the floor of the shower and the concrete sub-flooring was just crumbling and filled with mold. He removed everything and we even replaced the top part of the drain (but not the trap because that would have...
  5. KCEdds

How important is it to have insulation inside walls around a shower?

I had to have my stand-up shower floor ripped up because the concrete sub-flooring had disintegrated and was covered in mold causing a horrible smell. When my tiler removed the concrete floor and six inches of tiles from the shower wall near the floor I could see some insulation between the...
  6. KCEdds

Hi Kingsotall, by "plumbed" do you mean did a plumber take a look at it? Or was it ever snaked? Sorry, I'm a neophyte. Or that it's a p-trap as opposed to a different type of trap? If that's the case, I can say that when I look in the drain with a flashlight I see water down there, and...
  7. KCEdds

Update to mysterious smell Hi Everyone, So I've been keeping wet paper towels over our shower drain, which temporarily stops the sewer smell, until I could have the tile ripped up and a plumber take a look at what the problem is. Well, now two weeks later (the tile guy got delayed in...
  8. KCEdds

Can a water trap be replaced without tearing up the entire tile floor?

Thanks to you and jadnashua. Looks like we're gonna pull up some tile!
  9. KCEdds

Can a water trap be replaced without tearing up the entire tile floor?

I have a sewer smell coming from my upstairs (3rd floor) shower drain. The bathroom shower on the other side of the wall has no smell. The vent stack is not obstructed on the roof. I had a tile guy come in and say that he needed to rip up the entire tile floor and then have a plumber...
  10. KCEdds

Okay, I might have figured out what the problem is, but I'm not sure. I removed the shower drain cover and noticed that one of the screws had cracked the PVC pipe, or whatever it is that it's screwed in to. It didn't just strip the hole where the screw goes, it actually cracked the whole...
  11. KCEdds

Great questions. A couple of follow-ups. 1. If hair broke the seal of the shower trap, how do I diagnose that this is what happened and how do I fix it? Have a plumber tear up my shower tile and get down in there? 2. We do have a basement shower, and ever since we've lived here we have...
  12. KCEdds

And if the smell is coming from ABOVE the water level, does that mean I have a clog somewhere that I don't know about? Would draino cure that? What's the cause/cure if it's coming from above the water level?
  13. KCEdds

I'm not sure how to tell if there is water in the trap. Any advice? Thanks!
  14. KCEdds

Quick update on my situation: I put a wet towel over the drain in my stand-up shower and the smell went away. I'm now fairly certain that the smell is coming from the shower, but as opposed to there being mildew/mold forming under the tile, the smell is sewer gas. It smells just like it did...
  15. KCEdds

You know, T Finan, that might be it! I notice that when I take a shower water pools up in one corner of the shower and doesn't seem to drain that easily towards the middle where the drain is. I thought that it might just take a while for it to slowly drain down after we turn the water off, but...
  16. KCEdds

Well, I went to inspect my work and saw that one of the bolts attaching the toilet to the floor had come out of the slot in the flange so that when I tightened it, the bolt came up so high the decorative cap wouldn't fit over it any more. So I started over again replacing the wax seal. This...
  17. KCEdds

I'm not ignoring anyone's advice. I may have misunderstood the suggestion about anchoring the flange to the sub floor. But I will say that I tried to see if there was any movement with the flange (that is soldered to the drainage pipe) and there was none. I didn't see any anchor holes...
  18. KCEdds

Gotcha. Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I may need a professional.
  19. KCEdds

What I meant by me retrieving the old funnel from my trash was that the new funnel, which I know is part of the new wax ring, seems smaller. The old one seemed to fit snugly into the closet flange and then the old wax ring was on top of that. That's why I thought I should go back to square...
  20. KCEdds

Thanks Kingsotall and Cass. Fortunately the floor is solid as a rock. I pushed down all around the flange and their was no give whatsoever. While the flange was dirty as all hell it didn't have any holes in it. I scraped the heck out of it and it had a little bit of rust, but seemed...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks