Search results

1. SewerRatz

Question about using PVC pipe

So are you saying you cannot use CPVC for cold water?
  2. SewerRatz

Is it easier to replace a garbage disposer or just reconnect plumbing?

Just a FYI in Illinois you are not to use the hook up on the garbage disposal for the dishwasher. So when you install the new unit leave the knock out plug installed. You will need a dishwasher tailpiece and hook it up on the sink side with out the disposal.
  3. SewerRatz

Identify this square mass in old ejector pit

The units posted are normally used in garages and have three of these piped in series. They are called separator basins. The water from the garage drains enter the first basin and the oils and such would float up to the top as the water would find it's way up the baffle and flow out to the...
  4. SewerRatz

New electric water heater on concrete slab

If the plumber needs to meet the local codes, he is not going to give you a choice if you want the pan, expansion tank, and any other things needed. There is a company that makes an interesting washing machine pan. It has a pump in the pan to pump out any water that leaks into it. It would be...
  5. SewerRatz

Sump pit basin 40" deep required?

Sorry for the delay in the reply. I have been running the shop solo for a while now, and when I get home, I am wiped out. The formula was something the pump manufactures put out. This way you can have a properly sized pit to handle the incoming water without short cycling their pumps. Short...
  6. SewerRatz

Double sink rough in. . .

From under the sink, how else would one access it?
  7. SewerRatz

Vanity Plumbing Options

Should of hired a plumber
  8. SewerRatz

Double sink rough in. . .

I would of added a clean out above each tee.
  9. SewerRatz

Sump pit basin 40" deep required?

No you can not drill holes in the bottom of the pit. I have installed many 30" by 30" and 30" by 36" pits. The extra width helps with how long it takes the pit to fill allowing the pump the proper rest time between cycles. Why get cheap all of a sudden? As you said you spent a fortune on the...
  10. SewerRatz

Faucet hose extension, Chicago

Here you go, a nice picture of one of the type of failures that can happen with the bradded stainless steel supplies. I do hope your condo/renters insurance is up to date.
  11. SewerRatz

Sewage Ejector vs Gravity for my basement

Check with the city codes. Call the plumbing inspector and ask what is it they require for adding a bathroom group in a basement. Many of the suburbs in Cook County want an ejector pit installed verses you tying into the gravity system.
  12. SewerRatz

Single to double vanity - Illinois (a new version)

You have that correct, it is removing the current fitting lowering it a little and installing a second wye upside down above the spill level of the sinks for the revent.
  13. SewerRatz

This would be the proper way to plumb a double vanity, sorry about the crude drawings but I hope you see that there is a revent and both lines tie into the revent bar. The way I drawn will meet the letter of the plumbing code and no inspector would fail it.
  14. SewerRatz

Also another note, since you are doing more than a simple repair, you should get a permit from your town/city, and while there you can ask the plumbing inspector the acceptable way to plumb in a double vanity.
  15. SewerRatz

Is both bowls going to be in the same room, and are they both going to be to the left of the stack? Or is one going to be left and the other right of the stack?
  16. SewerRatz

Faucet hose extension, Chicago

Well when the PE pipes let loose and flood your unit and the units below you, you're going to find out real fast what it means to be liable for your damage as well as the other units as well as any damage to the building. As I mentioned before just because a manufacture of an appliance uses...
  17. SewerRatz

New pump or replace check valve

Sorry bad habit of mine which cost me a 100% grade back when I was in school. I should read more carefully. My advice is for a sump pump. I just happen to have sump pumps on my mind since all the flooding we had here in Northern Illinois. So please disregard my earlier post, it is advice for...
  18. SewerRatz

New pump or replace check valve

If the pump is pumping the water out quickly and turning off and on at its normal levels then it is fine. All pumps in the Chicago area have check valves on them above the pit. They make silent check valves were the thud you hear when the valve closes is not so pronounced. Also you will need...
  19. SewerRatz

How easily will PEX pipe melt near a soldered fitting?

Get a product called Cool Gel, it will help as long as you don't lollygag with the torch. Unsweating though, can be iffy.
  20. SewerRatz

Need advice on sump pump design

With the relief holes drilled the check valve will not lock up. When there is no relief holes the check valve may not lock up right there and then, it happens as the pump sits unused and the water below the check valve is trying to drain down pulling the flapper down tight. The relief holes...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks