Search results

1. theestimator1

Pin Holes in Buried Copper

Gary, Redwood & Rugged, Thanks for the advice. This site is filled with expert knowledge. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go wipe my nose. Thanks
  2. theestimator1

Burley cool video. no grounding in the world could prevent that. thanks
  3. theestimator1

Rugged, Sounds like that receptacle has the hot wire connected to the ground terminal. Needs to be tested to verify, but that’s DEADLY. You could have become fertilizer very easily. Might not be a bad idea to use leather gloves as well as a GFI. I hope that homeowner gets it fixed...
  4. theestimator1

Aaah grounding, the most confusing and most misinterpreted subject in the electrical field. You can get a different answer from half of the electricians you talk to. Code Instructors can get stumped and I met one Instructor/contractor who grounded a service for a bldg completely wrong...
  5. theestimator1

Located PB w/ a Cable Tracer

I’ve used a cable tracer to locate underground wiring about half a dozen times. This time I disconnected my polybutylene Yard Service, installed one 45ft long insulated #10 conductor and hooked up a battery powered cable tracer. After tracing the wire, I was surprised to find that the signal...
  6. theestimator1

I plan to replace a 150ft long Yard Service with type K copper, but I worry about Pin Holes. Two of my neighbors had a section of type L copper develop pin holes in their open basements when it was about 10 yrs old. We have treated water. If Pin Holes develop in open basements, why...
  7. theestimator1

PB Yard Service Repair ?

Thanks Rugged, Unspliced type K copper does seem like the most durable and reliable material for Yard Service, although I do have one concern, pinholes. theestimator1 Master Electrician Maryland
  8. theestimator1

90000 gallons and no obvious leak?

Does the meter have a leak detector? A new Sensus water meter has a low flow (leak) detector. The specs list a Low Flow Registration of a 1/4gal/minute = 15gal/hour. I’m not familiar with Low Flow Registration, but I take that to mean the leak detector (spinning triangle) won’t move until it...
  9. theestimator1

PB Yard Service Repair ?

Redwood made a good point. After a little reading, it sounds like the polybutylene problem will only get worse, and continue forever. Jimbo made a good point. I didn’t realize buried copper would outlast me. . Now I’m thinking, eventually, 1†Type K copper w/ sweat fittings all the...
  10. theestimator1

PB Yard Service Repair ?

I will probably have to replace a leaking section of 3/4†Underground Polybutylene in a 150ft long Yard Service. I was thinking about using 3/4†PEX and Qest compression fittings because it’s easy (I am in the electrical trade, not plumbing). I worry about copper deteriorating underground...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks