Search results

1. Master Brian

Humidifier install question

I am a bit curious, does it make any difference which side of the system a humidifier is installed on? Reason for the question is every house I've owned has had the humidifier on the return air side, with conditioned/heated air blowing across the pad. Recently while helping my dad on his...
  2. Master Brian

bathroom heater/light power loss

I doubt this can be answered with the limited information I have been able to find out so far, but I'll give it a go. Maybe something will My parents have a 3 story house built in 1915. A 2nd floor bathroom has an older heater/light in the ceiling. On the light circuit of this is also a vanity...
  3. Master Brian

Header Question

I have a 1915 Bungalow, in the kitchen is a box out, which likely used to be a back or side entry porch area. At some point in the past, guessing 80's, but really don't know, they converted the porch into additional kitchen space. When they did this, they cut out the wall studs between the...
  4. Master Brian

Range Vent ??

I am trying to plan for a kitchen remodel and I need to figure out a good vent for my range. Problem is the area the range sits is surrounded by windows and no room above to mount a vent, so I'm looking into Pop-ups. Question is, does anyone recommend a good brand and CFM recommendation...
  5. Master Brian

Old house basement staircase delima...

My house was built in 1915, so obviously it doesn't conform to today's building codes in a lot of aspects. My current dilema is the staircase to the basement. Coming in from the back door is almost like a split level house, there is a landing, you go up 6 steps to get to the main living space...
  6. Master Brian

Wood stair tread over concrete

I have an old house and I'm slowly working on finishing the basement. The problem is the bottom two steps in the basement are poured concrete. It actually works out, that if I lay a wood tread on top of the concrete treads, that the height for my new stairway will work out perfectly. The...
  7. Master Brian

noisy return air duct

My furnace sits right below my dining room. Due to the design, part of my floor joist cavity in this area is part of the return air system and a couple of the joist bays have been covered with sheet metal to create the duct channel. The problem is whenever you walk in certain areas, you can...
  8. Master Brian

Sound deadening between floors

I am basically finishing a basement in a 1915 Bungalow. The area I'm working on is directly below two bedrooms and will be used primarily for our TV/Media/Game room. I have 2x8 floor joists and I am having to fur the ceiling height down by 1-1/2" to get around electrical/plumbing/etc, so I...
  9. Master Brian

Attic space finishing/insulating

I have been wanting to insulate and finish off part of my attic to make it into a finished storage/closet area. Basically, part of this area is over living space, part is over my front porch. The portion over living space has cellulose and other blown in material in what will become the...
  10. Master Brian

Back entry door install

My back entry door is needing raised up about 3" to deal with poor drainage. The doorway is basically over a cement slab, so I will be pouring new cement over that to create the base. I have hung a dozen or more doors over the years, I feel 100% confident I can do this, but I will admit most...
  11. Master Brian

heating a garage loft

We are looking at heating approximately a 400sqft loft above a garage. Only option is electric as there is no gas. Wall insulation is most likely sparse, but this is a double bricked structure with plaster walls, if that makes any difference, but it also has 7 windows and is a free...
  12. Master Brian

Vinyl PVC Trim

I am curious, how good is this stuff and is it really worth the extra cost? I was watching a This Old House episode and they were using it on all of the trim. I went to H.D. to get a new exterior door jamb as the one currently on my house is rotting out. They had a Vinyl PVC jamb, so I...
  13. Master Brian

a/c adapter?

curious if anyone knows, but I have a laptop and the adapter quit working. Bought a new one a couple of weeks ago. Well it looks to be going out. I have an adapter from another older laptop and wonder if it might work to charge the battery. The adapter, for laptop in question, is input of...
  14. Master Brian

Receptacle near tree?

I have a very young Oak tree in my yard between the sidewalk and the curb. I have been thinking it would be great to have a receptacle near the near so that I can decorate the tree and surrounding area with lights and such. I don't like the idea of stringing an extension cord across the...
  15. Master Brian

Pond heater...shorting out????

I have a small pond heater/de-icer. It is a disk with a coil on the bottom that gets just hot enough to keep a small opening in a garden pond in the winter. I believe this unit is supposed to be thermostatically controlled, in that it is only supposed to be on when the water temp hits around...
  16. Master Brian

how to attach and tape rigid foam

Needing to attach some rigid foam insulation panels to a concrete block basement foundation wall. Do I use liquid nails or something else? Also, how do I go about taping the seams? Is there a special tape or could I possibly even use gap and crack spray foam? Not sure if that would eat...
  17. Master Brian

slab under box out

I have two boxouts on my 1915 bungalow, both are block walls to the ground with minimal footings. Not sure if the boxouts are original, but they've been there a long, long time. House is a 1915 Craftsman Bungalow. Currently these crawlspace floors are dirt, but I'm wanting to pour concrete...
  18. Master Brian

Switched receptacle and overhead light??

I have 2 duplex receptacles that I'm needing to re-wire after pulling out knob & tube wiring. One of these was switched with the old wiring, but I'm now wanting to switch half of each of them, leaving the other half always hot. To complicate things, I'm also wanting to run a wire to the...
  19. Master Brian

placing a subwoofer

Slowly working on turning my basement into a game/media room. I have a 16" vega self powered sub cabinet. It's a great compliment to my surround system, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Personally, I don't think it's horrid looking as it's in a dark walnut cabinet, but...
  20. Master Brian

Replacing Cinder Blocks

I have a box out that has a cinder block foundation wall. The cinder block portion is a crawl space under the box out. In order to gain access under the box out, they left 3 blocks, 2 on one course and 1 on the course above, loose so they could be pulled out to gain access. No idea when that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks