Search results

1. Xroad

Bell&Gossett 100 Series Repair

justin_24, How's Your Pump Doing? Justin_24, how's your pump doing?
  2. Xroad

Bell&Gossett 100 Series Repair

The Latest Taco 007-F5 lasted 15 months ! Dang ! The Taco 007-F5 I installed 15 months ago bit the dust ! That certainly throws off the 5 years per pump statistic :mad: Now what? Do I go get another Taco 007 again? The whole pump runs around $75 hipping included. The replacement...
  3. Xroad

Toilet won't flush, at the end of my rope!

OK ..... SO ..... 5 gallons bucket of water dumped into the toilet flush OK. 5 gallons bucket of water dumped into the tank, assuming the tank is less than 5 gallon but dump 5 gallons anyways, with flap propped open, flush OK. Check if the tank volume will flush the toilet: ... with the...
  4. Xroad

Shower Control Valve

I was ready to cut the old shower control out and solder a new unit in. Of course, things are never so easy. I cannot get the water to shut off tight. Water continue to drip. Looks like the shut off valves are pretty old too. With my luck, the main shut off will also be leaking. SO ...
  5. Xroad

Bear with me as I am trying to understand as well ... If dumping 5 gallons into the toilet and it flush normal, AND dumping 5 gallons into the tank is also flushing normal (we have not get a confirmation from the OP yet, we'll see), can we conclued that the vent is connected OK?
  6. Xroad

Shower Control Valve

I am back at my mother's house again :( 2 hours away, fixing her tenent's shower valve. It is a 3 knob control, hot-diverter-cold control valve. The cold water valve stem need replacing. I cannot figure out what manufacturer makes the valve control. I have a detail drawing after I made some...
  7. Xroad

Prop open the flapper at the bottom of the tank, pour, ... no ... dump in 5 gallons of water into the tank. See if that will flush. If 5 gallon is OK, then try again with 1.6 gallon. If that is OK, then check that the tank will fill to max per the design of the tank and the fill mechanism...
  8. Xroad

I am cheap and stubborn so I won't call a plumber at the drop of a hat. Unless it is an emergency, I try to figure out the proper way to do it and then plan and go do it. Same with debugging a problem. Just have to calm and have patience. It is not rocket science or brain surgery you know...
  9. Xroad

I am not a plumber, I just play one at my house and at mother's house. That just don't make sense. If pouring 5 gallons of water down the toilet ... it flushes, then you need not bother with checking the rest of the pipes. This is AFTER the city found the clog at THEIR end of the pipe? Is...
  10. Xroad

Boiler: Valve to Automaticly Add Water

Of course, the simple "few dollars" one (cheap ass that I am). ANy specific recommendation, part number and vendor? Do you know What is the controlling voltage? 120VAC? I never open up that box where the low water warning light sits. So I don't even know what voltage runs that bulb...
  11. Xroad

Ha! Of course. Dry boiler and the flame kicks on ... yes, THAT is the worst case scenario. A second cutoff float switch, where is that mounted? On my boiler, there is a metal "thing" where the pressure cutoff, water level cutoff, and the flush valve are attached. This "thing" is piped...
  12. Xroad

Installing Natural gas post BBQ

I respectfully disagree. That is a very broad general statement. There are plenty of cases of gas line project is simple and low risk. There was a "T" at one of the gas line and I used that "T" to run another line to the location of my dryer. Nothing more than precut/prethread black pipes...
  13. Xroad

As for electrical interface, I am OK with it. I am a military electronics hardware designer. I spend my career thinking in terms of multiple redundancies, fail safe modes, and ultimate reliability. So that is where my paranoia comes from. Without the auto feeder, worst case is low water...
  14. Xroad

The auto valve, I am sure is very reliable, that is not the problem. If the valve DID NOT FAIL to open or to close. If the WATER LEVEL SWITCH on the boiler failed. Then the valve will not get the signal to close when the water level is sufficiently high. Water will continue to fill, non...
  15. Xroad

Cutting Cast Iron?

Ideal situation is the chain snap cutter. There is a certain mental tension as you tighten the chain. Once it snaps, comes the satisfied and relief feeling. Once things goes bad, and the grinder comes out, prepare for all the sparks and noise racket. I told my friend about my feeling regarding...
  16. Xroad

Patching Lead Pipe

Thanks all for your help. I'll post photos later when I get a chance. Someday, when the opportunity presents itself, the lead will be gone for the bathroom remodel. I think knowledgable steam heat professional is also becoming extinct. I have so many plumbers offering me at my house, my...
  17. Xroad

Thanks. I'll be installing it in parallel to the existing manual fill valve. So, even when I loose electrical power, or a failure of the solinoid valve, I can still manually add water. There are two possible failure mode. Fail to open, and fail to close. Fail to close is the one I feared...
  18. Xroad

Patching Lead Pipe

Maybe I am analyzing this a bit too much ... Epoxy ... would the thermal property difference the lead and the epoxy allow the adhersion to separate over time as the two material expands and contract differently? Epoxy ... Being hard, would vibration, not that I expect much, affect the...
  19. Xroad

http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/Steam_Boiler_Water_Feeders.htm Found the above web site. Installation seems straight forward and within my ability. I just have to find out who/where they sell it. Basicaly, the pump is placed in parallel to the existing manual fill valve. When the water...
  20. Xroad

Patching Lead Pipe

Thanks a million for the help. Some projects are obviously over my head and I should call a pro. Many, can be learned if approach slowly. That is what I am hoping to get from this forum. Otherwise, every thread in this forum will only be discussing which plumber is good and which is bad...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks