Search results

1. Beekerc

DPST switch question

agreed, but while i do take advantage of may high tech security options, some habits just die really hard. i'm now thinking may be i should go with a single-gang, dual-switch device, then maybe use some plastic and glue to tie the switches together, so it acts like a double breaker. sure...
  2. Beekerc

DPST switch question

are the two circuit lines in a double pole, single throw (DPST) switch electrically isolated? specifically, could I run A/C across one line and D/C across the other? here's my application. i have a garage door openers. in the old days, when i would go on a trip, i'd unplug it from the wall...
  3. Beekerc

Help buying a generator for power outages

generator i'm with msgale. i went with the natural gas powered generac. 1) it stays outside - no issues with carbon monoxide posioning 2) it's fed by my natural gas service - no having to refill any tanks 3) it weighs about 600 pounds - no having to worry about anyone stealing it one...
  4. Beekerc

Ventilating a server closet

Hi all, After having spent months in the electrical forum, now for a visit to HVAC. I have a server closet in my newly remodelled basement office. the picture is a cross section of the room, looking through the side wall. the closet is 3 feet wide. the reason for the two level ceiling and...
  5. Beekerc

combining circuits

thanks for the NEC cite. i'll give my electrician acquaintance a call and have him look it over with regard to space.
  6. Beekerc

combining circuits

i have two rooms in my newly remodeled basement. i ran two separate 20A circuits in each room (one circuit to the south and east walls, one circuit to the north and west walls). in case your wondering, one is an office, one is a small A/V room (it falls short of a "home theater" in terms of...
  7. Beekerc

3 way dimmer question

jadnashua is correct, it is the Lutron Maestro line. Leviton also makes a similar product, the Acenti, however style and feature wise I prefer Lutron. Lutron also makes I/R and R/F remotes for their multi-location dimmers as well. I just laid 6 multi-location dimmer sets in my basement...
  8. Beekerc

Junk science or truth?

key fob extender yes, it works, not exactly sure of the science, but it does the trick. it's especially effective when i use the panic button as a car-finder in a big parking lot.
  9. Beekerc

Recessed light over shower

to quote Dr. Edward Teller, father of the hydrogen bomb, "when you make something foolproof, you will always find that the fool is bigger than the proof". yes, i do like my user-friendly GFCI with self-testing and blinking red end-of-life indicator. i'll still test it manually once a month...
  10. Beekerc

Panel box in a walk in closet

what, you're going to go make me look it up myself? :p seriously though, thanks for the reference, i'm going to go google it now.
  11. Beekerc

recessed shower light not completely necessary. if all you have is a 1-gang box. both leviton and broan/nutone make double and triple stacked switches for bathroom light/fan use. broan even makes one that's a triple stack, one for fan, one for heater and the bottom is a double rocker for...
  12. Beekerc

Panel box in a walk in closet

panel box clearances in a closet Speedy, please enlighten us as to what those clearances are. Thanks B
  13. Beekerc

a sad truth. i don't know which is more disturbing, that people actually lack common sense, or that they don't actually lack it, but are too lazy to use it. agreed, but as is pointed out below, just as GFCI's can malfunction, so can switches, and the point about being went and in contact...
  14. Beekerc

electrical plan for Kitchen remodel

working with wire tell me about it, not my favorite either. but for real fun, i ran 30A, 10-2 wire for my server closet (because the UPS I want has an L5-30P plug). oy vey!
  15. Beekerc

Electrical Code Violations

code violations not sure i see the problem with this, other than it's not dressed nicely. please elaborate on why this is bad. thanks B
  16. Beekerc

What things not to do during an Electrical storm

play golf with metal shafted clubs
  17. Beekerc

recessed shower light standard caveat: i am not an electrician, however, i have wired two bathrooms with such lights and they have passed inspection. that being said.... my understanding is no, unless the switch controlling the light is reachable from the tub/shower. i don't know what the...
  18. Beekerc

Recessed Lighting Help Needed

recessed lighting many years ago, i helped my dad hang a drop ceiling in our basement. i came away from that experience having learned two important things. 1) how to properly hang a drop ceiling 2) knowing that given the choice between doing it yourself and hiring someone to do it for...
  19. Beekerc

Recessed Lighting Help Needed

Recessed Can Lights Recessed lights can be used equally well for main lighting or accent lighting. In my basement remodel, I am using 4 tube flourcescent troffers as my primary light with dimmable lower wattage (40 ~ 65) 6 inch cans for ambience, wall washing and spot usage. 5 and 6 inch...
  20. Beekerc

one smoke detector or two

smoke detectors good thought. i'll ask my rep when I talk to him again. although i have a hunch the answer would be no, after all, that just means less smoke detector sales for them. thx
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks