Search results

1. MG

Furnace cycles while heating the home

Followup - so far it's working fine and it appears that its working a lot because its doggone cold here this week.
  2. MG

Furnace cycles while heating the home

I just replaced one of these ignition modules tonight. However, the flame sensor that they provide with it does not match the one I have. I cleaned up the one in there and it fired right up but its doing the same thing - cycling a lot. The new sensor is shorter than the old one and doesn't...
  3. MG

Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

Well today I get to make "the call"...someone is taking this Cesspool piece of garbage back. I don't care if it is Cesspool or Lowes. I got the reset switch to work once last night - went through one cycle and then crapped out. I doubt its dirty under there - I rubbed my fingers on the...
  4. MG

DIY Cast Iron to PVC project

The fear of a 12-14' section of CI stack pipe crashing down in the wall is precisely why I supported mine w/two riser clamps before cutting out the rotted sections in the garage. One in the attic on the ceiling joists that is cross supported with the adjoining joists and 4" lag screws, and...
  5. MG

Replace or repair windows?

To each their own I guess... I haven't seen any storm windows other than the old school aluminum framed ones like what we had on our house. They were butt ugly and let air through them BADLY. The replacement windows look much better.
  6. MG

Very Slow Tub Drain (Vent/S-Trap)

Does the tub have a popup drain? Unscrew it and see if there is a mass of hair in the drain. Or snake it - there could be a big chunk of hair in that trap. I have two daughters w/long hair and when the tub drains slow I have to clean out the drain. Sometimes the amount of hair that comes out...
  7. MG

Question on drywall.

New drywall will soak primer up like a sponge. Two coats isn't out of line with it either.
  8. MG

Laminate Floor in Bathroom

Laminate is durable - I don't know why you would say otherwise.
  9. MG

Mark - Those Pipes Shaking Today?

I know here in the STL area we felt the shaking...I bet Indy did too!
  10. MG

Armstrong makes a fairly decent laminate flooring product as well. The "tile look" laminates are very nice looking - I am wishing we had used one of those in our kitchen / dining room.
  11. MG

I can't recommend any particular brand of laminate since its been a few years since I've installed a laminate floor...but I can say that the underlayment is a must. It helps cushion the feel of the floor.
  12. MG

Rough plumbing = sewer gas

You'll likely end up having to cut that hole bigger so the hub can make it through.
  13. MG

If that lav is behind the wall as close as I think it is, I'd cut everything out to the sanitary tee including the 90 degree bend to the lav. Once you have all that out you should be able to get a 1.5" section in there without a problem - it would be a longer section with no coupling. From the...
  14. MG

Get a Sawzall...as you'll be cutting out that entire funky section AND the sanitary tee its going to be joining into, along with some of the vertical so you can move up the tee into the right position. The blade length of the Sawzall should give you the room to work around that copper.
  15. MG

Door From Garage to Outside - Code Question

Talked with my neighbor and he said the doors were not a sticking point at all with the inspection for his garage. I'm going with no windows. There should be a noticeable difference vs. the old door...this new one is weatherstripped well and I'll be insulating all the gaps between the studs...
  16. MG

Deck Questions

Not to mention you may need to check with your local municipality to see if there are permits required to build the deck. Where I live you need one so the deck construction is inspected.
  17. MG

I was thinking the same thing. I should ask my neighbor - he has a fairly new garage (less than 3 years) and would likely remember if it was a requirement. I'd like to go with a solid steel clad door there with a deadbolt.
  18. MG

Just curious - my next project is replacing the door from the garage to the outside, and I've noticed that all the ones I see locally have windows in them. Is this a building code item?
  19. MG

HELP! Clog or Septic? Backflow in tub!!!

Your rent may not be due until the 15th, but you could take a different route. Get the thing fixed and short your landlord that amount - send along the receipt as well. If he doesn't like it call an attorney.
  20. MG

Enzyme product recommendation.

Terry - how long does that stuff keep? We bought our house 9+ years ago. There was a container of it in the house and I've been occasionally using it, but I don't recall seeing a "use by" date on it.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks