Search results

1. mjm

How big to cut hole for toilet flange

Actually in another bathroom I did, I cut out a circle of the flooring and pinned it under the flange and then the actual flooring ran up to that with about an inch gap. Made sense to me back then, I may do the same again, but I have yet to dig into the cabinet on top of the flooring or not...
  2. mjm

That's what I thought, made no sense to me, but also a good chance I could be wrong. Anyways, I guess I am going to cut the hole big enough to fit the flange in so it will fit on the flooring, which will just be vinyl floating, so not much, I am also going to probably get that push in flange...
  3. mjm

3". The flange I have now in the pic is a 4x3. I do see at HD there is a Oatey 3" twist - n - set. maybe I'll try that. why would they sell that brass cover with it?
  4. mjm

vertical ABS. don't know if it matters but, I have access from below, I know this because I actually chipped the existing ABS pipe out of the 90. I have that connection to worry about next.
  5. mjm

Those metal flanges are not popular around here, Canada. I have never seen any in any big box Reno stores either, maybe a smaller plumbing store might carry them, not sure. a compression flange is intriguing, like a waxless ring. Are they trustworthy?
  6. mjm

This seems like it would be a pretty easy question to find the answer to... but I am coming up blank. Wondering how big of a hole to cut for toilet flange. I put new subfloor and plywood underlay in a bathroom remodel. I am now putting in a new abs flange. so looking at the flange it has a bevel...
  7. mjm

1/2 vs 3/4 outdoor frost free sillcock

Thanks, I thought that might've been a bit of overkill, but now that I know it is code, I guess it's what I need.
  8. mjm

So I just called a small plumbing company and talked to the guy there, and he said he should be able to get me a 3/4 no problem. Then I explained what I was doing and we talked about the backflow situation. He said what I need, to be up to code is a double check valve assembly. I am going to...
  9. mjm

Is this the knob on top, we are talking about here? btw, I am not questioning this whole thing because I do not want to do it. I'm all for doing things right and above code. This is why I am asking so many questions. I do plan on having the backflow protection one way or another, but I want to...
  10. mjm

whoa whoa whoa, that's not what I was insinuating. I'm just saying after searching and talking to about 4 or 5 people about these units, this is the first I heard of backflow concerns. Had I talked to a real plumber first they may have set me straight right from the get go. Or maybe they all...
  11. mjm

I still don't see this being an easy thing to have happen when the outdoor valve would be closed unless it is being used. But like I said it is obviously a concern or there wouldn't be any backflow/anti vacuum devices in stores. I just don't think the odds of it happening are high. Not that I...
  12. mjm

I was just looking at mine more closely and that is exactly what it is 3/4" male x 1/2" female. I am starting to think that as far as frost free sillcocks are concerned I am looking at 1/2" if that is what I want. Or I forget about FF and go with my own soldered setup and get the 3/4. The size...
  13. mjm

I found this which explained it all to me. http://www.structuretech1.com/blog/category/vacuum-breaker/ I thought the "vaccum breaker" on the top of the sillcock was a pressure relief thing and in conversation with someone they even referred to theirs as the same. Pretty sure the guy at HD...
  14. mjm

Have to admit I am not too familiar with the backflow situation, but it is obviously a subject or we wouldn't be talking about it. I will have to look a bit closer, google shows it in industrial situations but not so much residential. 3/4 ff sillcocks are hard to find here.
  15. mjm

wouldn't just shutting off the tap outside prevent backflow from the sprinkler system or garden hose. I can't see doing any work that would create a backflow situation while the valve going to either would be open.
  16. mjm

backflow device, I am not familiar with, so I guess the answer is no. I think what you'e saying is I could just stick with what I have and it would accomplish the same thing as the frost free. that's right, but I have to replace the shutoff inside and the main sillcock outside, so I might as...
  17. mjm

Hi, Have a question I'm hoping to get some enlightenment on. I currently have a 3/4 line going to my outside faucet, that needs replacing due to the fact that the cartridge in the shutoff valve going to it inside, is pretty much disentegrated, and the valve outside split over the winter...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks