Search results

1. R

What is this copper wire under the kitchen sink?

We actually have a well, not town water. Sounds like I'll be talking to an electrician on this one. Thanks!
  2. R

The house was built in 1986, and all of the circuits are grounded. There is no garbage disposal, and the dishwasher is wired up to a grounded circuit. It looks as if this wire was installed when the house was built, since it runs through the joists above a finished ceiling. That's just a...
  3. R

I moved into my house about nine months ago, so I'm still discovering interesting new things. :) I was doing some work under the kitchen sink, and I noticed a thick stranded copper wire coming up into the cabinet through the hole that the plastic drainpipe passes through. It looks like the...
  4. R

Internal cable clamps and old wiring

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to answering my question. Here's what I think I'll do: I believe the old cables are well supported by being stapled to the stud close to the box. Therefore, I'll put holes in the new box just large enough for the old cables' sheathing to pass, in a...
  5. R

I can bring the old cable into the new box with the sheathing intact. I just can't do it through the new box's internal cable clamp -- it won't reach. What I can do is make a hole just big enough for the sheathing to pass through, right next to the clamp. There won't be any more of an opening in...
  6. R

I hear you. With that in mind, how do you replace a box with one of these old-work boxes? I'm assuming that most of the time, replacing all of the cables entering the box is not a practical option, and neither is moving the box (which wouldn't help anyway -- cables enter from both top and...
  7. R

jwelectric, that's a great point about confinement. In light of that, how best to bring the old wiring (with the sheathing already stripped) into the box, while maintaining the integrity of the box? Replace the missing sheathing with shrink tubing, as suggested earlier? This is why these...
  8. R

Alectrician, I think you have an excellent point. And that suggestion certainly is easy to implement! I can use the clamps where new cable comes into the box, and remove the clamps on the old wiring openings. One follow-up question: Once the clamp is removed, it leaves a pretty big opening...
  9. R

I am replacing an existing fiberglass double-gang electrical box with a PVC triple-gang old-work box (a Carlon B355R box: http://carlon.com/Brochures/7F61.pdf). The new triple-gang box has internal plastic cable clamps of the type that apply constant pressure to the NM cable sheathing to hold...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks