Search results

1. S

Cistern masonry repair/resealing

Yes, they are rainwater storage.
  2. S

Cistern masonry repair/resealing

I have a pair of brick cisterns & they seem to be leaking. I can fill them to the top but they bleed back down & lose about a foot of water level. This leads me to the obvious conclusion that there are some bad masonry joints at that level. Question is, is there any type of spray-on sealant...
  3. S

Anyone using dual sump pumps?

I got the second pump installed this week in the nick of time. Today we got 4 inches of rain in short order, the highest flow into the basement I can remember. The main pump started running constantly, & the second pump started running about every minute or so. It never got to the point where...
  4. S

Good suggestion regarding the independant circuits. The present sump pump already discharges into an above ground pipe, which carries the water about 20 feet away from the house, I'll do the same with the backup. I also have an automatic standby generator which the current pump is wired to, via...
  5. S

I had given serious thought to having the house lifted up & a new poured concrete basement & walls put under it, till I found out it would cost more than my mortgage did. Anyway, as far as the floor drain tile goes, my Father told me (we bought the place from my folks) that it was a far worse...
  6. S

It's possible I suppose, as I mentioned, the house is 100 years old, I don't know how advanced the drainage methods where back then, fairly primative I'd guess.
  7. S

It's pretty basic, the sump pit is in a low area. There are no drains connected to it, it simply collects water that seeps through the floor & masonry joints in various places. The floor drain to the field tile is in an adjacent room, but there is a scupper at the base of the wall allowing water...
  8. S

Disconnecting the tile is not an option for a couple of reasons. It helps get rid of the incoming water that won't flow to the sump pump during lighter flow periods, and secondly, I tried using an inflatable rubber plug once and while it stopped the water from coming up the drain, is soon filled...
  9. S

I have a basement which gets water in it during the wet season. There is also a floor drain connected to a field tile which backs up when it rains excessively. The problem here is when the floor drain backs up, the sump pump either runs nearly constantly or simply cannot keep up. The most...
  10. S

cisterns

Hello, I'm new here. I'm in the process of putting an old cistern back into service for irrigation purposes. In the basement is the inlet pipe from the cistern, with a shut off valve on it. I've determined that there is no foot valve in the cistern, I did so by connecting a hose from a portable...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks