Search results

1. S

Drilling a shallow well with a DIY machine

My understanding was that the drilling mud was to keep the "marbles" from falling back into the hole. How do the professionals deal with this? Do they install casing as they go? Or do they use a different technique than rotary drilling to get through these sorts of formations? I've only...
  2. S

Drilling a shallow well with a DIY machine

Okay, so winter came and went, and I'm back to this boneheaded well drilling project that I was last working on in the fall. I have a small 13hp rotary hydraulic well drilling machine. It's a small machine, but an upgrade from the post-hole digger DIY machines. It uses a hydraulic power head and...
  3. S

drilling a shallow well

The depth to water in the hole appears to be approximately 3 feet. The hole is currently about 13 feet deep. Thus there's about 10 feet of water in the well. As per suggestions, I tried to clear the well of the bentonite and dropped a sandpoint down. I then connected my trash pump to the...
  4. S

drilling a shallow well

I inspected the cuttings, and the rock that's coming up is round and smooth on one side, but cleaved/sheared on the other side(s). It looks kinda like river rock that's been through a crusher. This leads me to think (please let me know if I'm wrong) that the machine is encountering larger rocks...
  5. S

drilling a shallow well

I managed to get my hands on fairly small hydraulic drilling machine, and decided to drill my shallow well. I'm down about 13 feet (the same depth I ran into trouble with my sand point attempt) and seem to once again be runnning into trouble. The drill is chattering up and down and not making...
  6. S

Shallow drive well stuck at 13 feet

I gave it 4 hours of soaking, and then hit it with the driver some more and this time it wouldn't budge. Not even half an inch. So I'm guessing it has in fact hit rock or otherwise something so darned hard that it's not going to go through it, regardless of my efforts. What's the best way to...
  7. S

Shallow drive well stuck at 13 feet

Long story, but hopefully it'll make some sense. I'm trying to install a shallow well in the backyard. I'm told that the water table in the area should be approximately 15-20 feet. This is located in Oregon. First, a description of the soil. The top foot or so of the soil is hard clay. In...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks