Search results

1. Kevz

Flange dilemma

Ok, pretty sure I will be just using one and securing it to the subfloor. Went and picked up 2 different ones to see if either lined up better with what I thought was an oversized hole in the subfloor, turns out it looks like both would catch a pretty decent amount of the subfloor. Still will...
  2. Kevz

Flange dilemma

The backer board is only 1/4", which would be pointless for holding screws. If I don't lead it I don't see a reason adding wood from the underside to screw into which would pull it tight against the whole subfloor wouldn't work. Guess I just deice if I want to do that and install it or hire...
  3. Kevz

Flange dilemma

Here is the picture of the pipe.. I will not have much at all to remove. That backerboard isn't installed yet. Once that is installed with thinset under it, and thinset under the tile I think I may only have a just a hair to take off on 1 side on a few of the high spots that you can see in the...
  4. Kevz

Flange dilemma

If I can easily, I think I would like to give the compression flange a chance. This bathroom will not even be used often, extra half bath off a laundry room. Only question is how much space is there from the outside edge of the stack and where the screws go into the subfloor? I might need to...
  5. Kevz

Flange dilemma

I am debating now if I should have a plumber come in and do a lead connection new cast iron flange to my cast iron pipe.. Or if I should use one of the compression seal flanges and screw into the subfloor. Wouldn't mind saving a few bucks. Any reason not to use these? The floor will be...
  6. Kevz

Space needed for new flange

I don't do tile for a living, I have just laid tile for either myself, my parents, friends. Think I have done like 9 jobs. Only a few bathrooms and the it was a tile replacement job, so the flange stayed in place.
  7. Kevz

I am the tile guy. Had never tiled a floor without a flange though. Plumber told me to just go and lay my floor and he will come when its done and it will be connected to the CI pipe and will sit on top of the finished floor.. Not sure what I need the flange now for? As long as I give him...
  8. Kevz

I would just much rather give him enough room so he doesn't have to cut or break away tile once I set it. Even if that part is under the toilet, if it happened to crack a tile or the thinset it could continue outside of where the toilet sits.
  9. Kevz

My CI stack is 4" I can cut the subfloor out to give 3/4" of an around almost all of the pipe, but the pipe comes up next to a joist. There I will not have 3/4" all the way down. Is that enough room? It had a CI flange on originally, so I am assuming it can be replaced. I would rather not...
  10. Kevz

I was under the impression it would be better to have a new flange put on with lead on the current cast iron pipe.. And in doing that I wouldn't need to screw anything into the floor... Or am I wrong? Would it still need to be screwed down? So if I give him 3/4" clearance all around the pipe...
  11. Kevz

I am having a plumber come and replace the cast iron flange in our house once our floor is in. Old was cracked, he chiseled off all of it. Right now just the pipe in the floor, we are now replacing the floor with a new tile floor. I am at the stage of laying down the cement board and was...
  12. Kevz

Pipe noise.. Sign of problems?

Last night, sounded like a motor of some type was running in our basement. I ran down to see what the heck the noise was. Only thing I could figure was the pipes. Shut off the main and it stopped. Went outside and noticed the city was opening the fire hydrants on all the streets for a while on...
  13. Kevz

Is this washer drain ok?

Hah, well I guess we scratch that plumbing company off the list too. I even asked if it should be on the long horizontal drain and he said something about it being above the trap. And even made me a drawing of how he would install it.. All above the floor, just coming off the riser with a...
  14. Kevz

Is this washer drain ok?

Well had some another plumber come out, 2 guys.. They said it should have more venting and he suggested cutting into that stand pipe above the floor and branching out and adding in an autovent to fix that problem. I asked about the trap under the floor and he didn’t think that was a problem at...
  15. Kevz

Is this washer drain ok?

Is there any reason a front loading washer would want taller stand pipe? I still have the email where I asked what the minimum height was and they said: "Thank you for visiting our Maytag.com customer service page. We appreciate your interest in our products and service. Maytag...
  16. Kevz

Is this washer drain ok?

Does the stand pipe length start above the trap or the total vertical pipe including the trap? I called and asked what Maytag recommended the standpipe height for the specific washer we are getting, they said minimum of 36" and max of 60". Want to make sure this gets done right by the next...
  17. Kevz

Is this washer drain ok?

One thing I am confused about is having the trap below the floor. I will be talking with the plumber who did this install next week and would like to discuss the vent and the trap. Could you tell me the reason for normally having the trap above the floor? Just want to be able to give a reason...
  18. Kevz

Is this washer drain ok?

I plan on calling another plumber now, we are remodeling a lot and I don't need problems like this. I am just glad this mess wasn't in a finished wall or something. Think I will just bite the bullet and not even try to have them fix it and call someone else in and ask them to look it over...
  19. Kevz

Is this washer drain ok?

Thank you for the replies. Would putting one of those autovents on the horizontal run be enough? Then fixing the trap of course. Thank you
  20. Kevz

Is this washer drain ok?

Thanks for the reply.. They did put another fitting to restore a cleanout, its just smaller and looks like it would be much harder to use if ever needed. The pipe coming out of the floor is will be a little over 36 inches, which is what was recommended by the washer we are getting.. How...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks