Search results

1. SLB

Leaking drain (pop-up) assembly

Thanks Terry! I read the instructions, and they do say something about putting plumber's putty on the threads, but they are not very clear. I thought they were referring to the threads where the tail-piece attaches, not the threads under the washer. Regards, Steve
  2. SLB

Leaking drain (pop-up) assembly

I installed a new drain/pop-up assembly in a new bathroom sink and I can't get it to stop leaking. It seems to be leaking between the Mack washer and threaded section of the pop-up body. I have tried tightening the locknut in half-turn increments to no avail. Is it possible that I have over...
  3. SLB

Pipe Dope On Teflon Tape?

In the past, I've had problems with leaks using teflon tape, but never had a problem using paste. Last weekend, I had a persistent weep at a 1/2" copper male fitting threaded into a brass union while using paste only. Remembering what I had read in this thread, I finally tried putting three...
  4. SLB

Inspection/licensing for working on own house

FYI, it was (may still be) like this in Oregon when I was there last year. -Steve
  5. SLB

Tankless Hot Water Systems Nortiz

Tankless heaters are great for large families. My brother installed one about four years ago and has had no problems or complaints. They have three kids, a 9 year old boy and two teenage girls, and runnuing out of hot water was a big issue before he switched to tankless. I still haven't...
  6. SLB

Marking ABS?

Thanks guys. In this case, I'll be cutting a couple of sections out of an existing drain line and inserting a couple of combination wyes to accomodate the relocation of a toilet and shower. I already have the vents roughed-in, so I was trying to be fairly (overly?) precise with the alignment...
  7. SLB

Marking ABS?

I have a difficult time seeing pencil marks on ABS, especially in the dim lighting in the crawl space under our house. Do the pro's use a some other type of marker, like a lumber crayon or soapstone? -Steve
  8. SLB

Water Hammer

I have a similar problem. I tried installing a water hammer arrestor, but it didn't work that well. Hunter makes some slow close valves, model HPV, that are supposed to suppress water hammer, but I haven't tried one yet. If you try it, please post back here and let me know if it works. -Steve
  9. SLB

cpvc vs copper

I'm not a pro, but one thing that has changed (at least here in California) is the flux. The new water soluable fluxes don't work nearly as well as the stuff that was available just a few years ago. The new fluxes seem to scorch much easier, so it's important not to overheat the joint. I...
  10. SLB

Is my water heater installed incorrectly?

Thanks HJ. So I should use brass nipples at the wall and dielectric nipples at the inlet/outlet of the tank? -Steve
  11. SLB

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that there is a brass gate valve on the cold water side threaded onto the nipple at the wall, with another short nipple threaded into the other side of the valve and connected to the copper flex. Jimbo, What should the steel nipples that are threaded into...
  12. SLB

We bought our current house about 5 years ago. The previous owner had a new gas water heater installed just prior to selling us the house. I just noticed that there is a lot of scale and what appears to be corrosion around the area where the supply lines connect to the water heater. I took...
  13. SLB

Swiss public toilet

Check this out! Attached are photos of a public toilet in Switzerland that's built entirely out of one-way glass. No one can see you in there, but when you are inside, it looks like you're sitting in a clear glass box.
  14. SLB

Plumber's Truck

Some of you may have seen this before, but I just received this a few days ago and got a kick out of it.
  15. SLB

Sweating Copper to Brass

Another DIY'er here. FYI, I installed one of those recessed boxes behind our fridge about three years ago and had the same thing happen; the plastic box melted where the valve was attached to it. Fortunately, it wasn't so bad that I had to scrap it. -Steve
  16. SLB

pinholes

I tried these and they didn't work very well. First, my 30 year old copper pipes had some scale build up that made them difficult to insert without breaking them. Second, when I was finally successful at getting one inserted, it didn't last long enough for me to complete my solder joints...
  17. SLB

we waste soo much water

toolaholic, I live a little north of you in Healdsburg (Sonoma County). Not sure I understand your question, but I know the city of Windsor distributes treated waste water (not gray water) in some of there newer residential areas for landscape irrigation. -Steve
  18. SLB

we waste soo much water

Similar to what Jimbo described, here in the San Francisco North Bay, waste water disposal was (is) a big problem. Several communities here now distribute treated waste water in residential areas for landscape irrigation. The city of Santa Rosa has also constructed a pipeline that delivers...
  19. SLB

retro fit corian countertop

For what it's worth, when our Corian countertops were intalled, the installer used an ordinary hole saw to cut the holes for the faucet and air-gap. Looked pretty simple, as long as you drill in the right place. The good thing about Corian is that repairs are possible and are barely...
  20. SLB

Short-length toilets for small spaces?

We recently installed an American Standard Cadet with a 10" rough-in in a very small, newly remodeled guest bath, because its protrusion into the room was one of the lowest we could find. The front of the bowl measures only 25 1/2" from the wall. It doesn't have a great MaP rating, but we...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks