Search results

1. Sixlashes

Need New Gas Lines From Meter Run. Thoughts on What Plumber Told Me Option Wise

What could have been going through someone's mind to drill through black iron (or galv) in the wall? Did they think it was just a (nuisance) nailplate? It scares me to let anyone work on my house. I watch them like a hawk.
  2. Sixlashes

J-type halogen light fixtures

How old is the house? It may have 60 degree C (centigrade) rated wiring. I'll bet those (newer) fixtures require at least 75 degree C rated wires in the installation instructions. If this is the case, it seems the wires simply got too hot for the insulation. It is possible to splice newer...
  3. Sixlashes

Proud DIY A day in pictures

Words escape me! As a plumber in my previous life, electrical for me is a DIY. I took on building our new house and was a little apprehensive about tackling the electriacal myself. On inspection day, after 25 minutes of poking around EVERYTHING, I passed my electrical rough in (and...
  4. Sixlashes

Customizable Decora Switches

I happened to see this today. The blue box store has a triple Decora-style switch with two single pole and one 3-way switch in one single width switch. I think it was only available in white. The 3 way takes up half of the unit and the two single poles take up 1/4 each.
  5. Sixlashes

Air gap RO faucet

I am installing an RO filter with three outputs: Refridgerator (ice maker), kitchen sink and bathroom sink. Only the faucet closest to the filter needs an air gap because the drain line from the filter needs an air gap into the drain. This separates the potable water (filtered drinking water)...
  6. Sixlashes

Anyone Had Experience With GFX?

I ended my plumbing career before these gravity film (heat) exchangers came on the scene, so I have not ever installed one: http://www.gfxtechnology.com/VGFX.html But it interests me because I have a high gallon-per-minute shower in the master bath and a wife that doesn't draw the parallel...
  7. Sixlashes

Running low voltage in high voltage boxes

He says to pull a ground wire from the nearest (line voltage) box. Tomorrow, I will get into the book...
  8. Sixlashes

Running low voltage in high voltage boxes

If you are using metal boxes for low voltage (as I am currently doing), do you have to ground them? An electrician friend of mine is certain you must. I am not so sure. I have it on my list to research this in the NEC. Does anyone have a para. reference?
  9. Sixlashes

No tax credit for tank HWH?

Ron, that page at AO Smith is new. I didn't see it last week when I was looking this stuff up. I rechecked the energystar.gov site again and they still do not list the AO Smith or Bradford models as qualifying for the tax credit. I am not discrediting what you have pointed out, but the lack...
  10. Sixlashes

No tax credit for tank HWH?

I don't remember exactly where I found it while researching this very issue, but the reason none of the units you mentioned are not "energy star" and eligible for the credit is they must be 70,000 Btus or below. If you want the reference, I can look in my browser history to find it. It was...
  11. Sixlashes

what wire to use

I just had an underground electrical service installed in my home I am building. The power company strongly discouraged me from running secondary voltage (singles phase 240V) longer than 100 feet underground from the transformer. They recommended running primary voltage underground to a...
  12. Sixlashes

Stink Pipe Removed

These "stink" pipes as you call them are in fact the vents for your plumbing system. One of two things is happening now. First, the vents are not completely blocked and you are filling your attic with sewer gas. Depending on what type of sewer you have, you can be building up methane gas in...
  13. Sixlashes

gas pipe question

Either galvanized or black iron work well for gas. Galv is usually more expensive. I have run a lot of galv, but exponentially more in black iron. Nowadays intermediate pressure copper is used more and more with regulators at every fixture. I don't like/trust the regulators in the house...
  14. Sixlashes

Post your Pics

When I layed out the downstairs bathroom in our house, I located it beside a set of stairs and ended up with a 54" wide alcove for the throne. It bothered me that it was so wide and I considered framing in a dead space beside the toilet on one side. Instead, I opted for a 12" deep built-in...
  15. Sixlashes

Replacing lead bend clarification

I wouldn't use hot lead to pour a joint at all. No need really. If you need to redo a hub connection, you would use oakum as before and lead wool. You push the lead wool into the joint and use a compaction tool (looks like a chisel with a blunt curved blade) to hammer the lead wool into a...
  16. Sixlashes

Can I cut this pipe?

Based on the height, it is probably a sink arm that was abandoned. Since it is cast iron, the rubber cap is probably the best bet. If you are concerned with it rotting, install a new one and it will be good for another 30 years. Seriously, I have removed no-hub cast iron fittings (rubber with...
  17. Sixlashes

how do i.....

Ahh, the good old days... Laying under a house on a plumbing remodel and choosing between the respirator that constantly gets in the way or huffing fiberglass insulation. Since I chose the latter too many times, I have a strong adversion to anything fiberglass now. Here in the Sunshine...
  18. Sixlashes

I have 2 drains under my kitchen sink. Is this to code?

Assuming the distance from the (vertical) vent is not more than 8 feet, you are in business. Just reposition the 4 X 2 sanitee (cannot use a wye and 45, or combo) up a few inches to give 1/4 inch of grade per foot of horizontal run on the 2" trap arm to the trap. It will work great. Many...
  19. Sixlashes

Water still backing up from floor drain

If you have other fixtures in the basement, yes the water would come out of them if the floor drain was plugged. It would come out of the shower (being lowest) first and then the toilet if the water level got higher than the rim. I would still plug the floor drain and the shower if it is in...
  20. Sixlashes

Subpanel Grounding

There are some electricians with serious credentials on this forum that can speak to the legality of solely using EMT for a subpanel ground circuit. I will not even try. From an electronics background, I would not use EMT as the sole ground circuit for a subpanel and here's why. Yes, the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks