Search results

1. ironspider

3 recessed lights, switch at end?

Greetings all, I have been having a hell of a day trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with wiring these three recessed lights I installed today. Basically I have power coming in at the third can via 14/2. Then I have a 14/3 between that third can and the second can, another 14/3 between...
  2. ironspider

"Loose" tandem CH breaker

Greetings all, we have a Cutler-Hammer 200AMP service panel that is model# CH42B200K. I need to insert a 240v line for a steam shower so I bought a 15amp tandem breaker to combine 2 existing 15amp breakers down into 1, thus freeing up 2 slots next to each other where I can put the new...
  3. ironspider

Do I need primer for this self-leveling operation?

Hey all, So my wife and I are finally about to get on with putting down our floating floor (some Wicander's CorkComfort) but we have an area 4" wide where the subfloor ends before it hits the bottom plate of a new wall we've framed out on the 1st floor of our house (above the conditioned...
  4. ironspider

Replace radiators with electric in basement remodel? Or re-route? or other?

Greetings all! Okay, so I'm helping my brother in his recently purchased home and he wants to finish his basement. I got some awesome confirmation of the best way to accomplish this in another thread which is no surprise since everything I've ever asked here has been answered :) So, the...
  5. ironspider

XPS, is 1" enough?

Greetings all, my brother recently bought a house and the basement has basically 2x2 walls everywhere. When we removed the fake wood paneling, there is nothing under it except a 6mil vapor barrier tacked to the 2x2 "studs". So I've gotten advice on my basement remodel before I did that but my...
  6. ironspider

NM to Armored question

Greetings all, the kitchen reno continues and thanks to all those that helped me get through my 10-2 thread. I have now pulled 10-3 through the walls and it's a week until the drywallers come in. So I'm in the lucky position of having nothing but studs in place. So I"m working on my...
  7. ironspider

Forced air in bathroom with radiant floor?

Greetings all, we are remodeling our kitchen which luckily (or not luckily depending on how you look at it) required the destruction of our outdated and terrible front "bathroom". It had a toilet and a sink and was very tiny. So we've redesigned the space and we're now going to be able to add...
  8. ironspider

10-2 Romex for 240v appliance?

Greetings all, we're redoing our kitchen and we're about to install a 220/240v oven that requires a 30amp dedicated circuit. I've got a lot of 10-2 ROMEX® left over from a circuit install I did in our barn workshop and I'd like to use it as it appears 10ga wire can power a dedicated 30amp...
  9. ironspider

Outbuilding/shop heater questions/opinions

Greetings all, we have an outbuilding (25'x35'x12') with concrete floors that we have all our woodworking equipment in. We're not professionals or anything but we'd love to be able to work in there during the winter months building some furniture and running our CNC machine. The building is...
  10. ironspider

Modern version of this plywood?

Hello all, we are remodeling our kitchen (1963 ranch) and have torn out a dividing wall that seperated the old kitchen from the living room/dining room. The living room/dining room had carpet on the floor which we have ripped up. The plywood underneath it looks great. Now, in the kitchen, the...
  11. ironspider

Floor leveler under partition wall?

Greetings all, first off a big thank you to all the people that responded to my fireplace demo thread. I have removed the hearth and scraped up all the loose mortar and such. I'm having the chimney cleaned and buttoned up and after that (and cleaning/up reworking the sexy temporary attic...
  12. ironspider

How much of the old fireplace can I remove?

Greetings all, my wife and I have moved on to our next remodel project (after doing a complete remodel of our basement to finish it and install a bar and wall mounted TV and all that jazz) and we've decided to update our living room wall that the old fireplace is on. I'll include a bunch of...
  13. ironspider

Depth of cable burial for Ethernet and Coax?

Greetings all, I know this is *technically* an electrical question but I think it's the closest I'm going to come to a perfect forum for asking this question. I have a barn/woodshop that is about 100' from my house. The barn has electrical and natural gas running to it so that's all fine...
  14. ironspider

Quick question on adding to 3 way light

Greetings all, I have a quick question to verify something I'm working on. We have a hallway that, currently, has one light which is controlled by two three way switches (one at each end of the hallway). The current wiring setup is that power comes into the first 3-way switchbox via a 14/2...
  15. ironspider

Furnace and Generator problems

Greetings all, I normally post in the home remodel section but this doesn't seem to apply to me trying to fix something broken in my house (for once!). But I'm not sure if this is the best forum--so I'm looking for advice and/or a better place to post this. Since we moved in to our house we...
  16. ironspider

UF into watertight box on deck?

Greetigns all, I've had great advice on my last two questions so I'm back with stage 3! Okay, so we're having our deck expanded and when the old deck was torn up it revealed some UF cable running safely along the bottom of a deck joist (stapled to the lower edge of a 2x10) that ran into a...
  17. ironspider

PVC vs. Metal vs cable vs conductor

Greetings all, I'm back with another question for the pros on the deck area I'm working on. Okay so I plan to add three receptacles to the side of the house (which is brick) to provide some receptacles to the covered portion of the deck. So I have some questions here and a diagram of my...
  18. ironspider

2 electrical question re: deck renovation

Greetings all, My wife and I are having our deck "expanded" right now. Basically the deck was pretty useless before when we bought the house from the previous owners so we're bringing it out to a respectable size but that's left me with an operation question about the power out there and a...
  19. ironspider

Tips for fixing "crooked"/recessed outlets?

Greetings all, So my wife and I are working on our basement and the drywall has been put up. The drywall was put up by the classic "friend of a friend" type deal and, while it's up and generally great, there are some "issues" around the blue electrical boxes that were nailed to the framing...
  20. ironspider

Can I install outlets/switches before drywall?

Greetings all, I have finished framing out and installing all the blue boxes in my basement finishing project. I plan to have the drywall done by professionals (and by "professionals" I mean someone *other* than myself) but I have time right now (couple of days off from work and the weekend...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks