Search results

1. Catherina

Worried about overheated joints

I figured. It was pretty appalling to watch. And you're right, it only took about 30 seconds to do each of the joints I soldered myself. I'll take apart those overheated joints and redo them just because I'll always worry about it if I don't.
  2. Catherina

Soldering copper to shower fixture

They went on fine, but I was a little concerned about the side-tension like you mentioned. Well, we'll see what happens.
  3. Catherina

Man, you must have a lot of room behind your pipes.
  4. Catherina

Ah, I see. I decided to try to fit adapters on (Shark Bites). With the adapters on, the pipes are pushed a little to the side instead of coming straight up. Will that be a problem? I can just remove the adapters and sweat directly to the fixture if need be. I just thought I'd give the...
  5. Catherina

I've already charged the system and they don't leak - it's been a few days as well. I figure if they don't leak by now they'll probably be all right, but it does worry me that they were so overheated. I do have an access to the area, so I might just cut off those two joints and redo them myself...
  6. Catherina

I will probably have more than one question in the next few days, so sorry for the multiple posts... but this forum is a great source of info! The reason I started working on my plumbing project (installing a shower) on my own is that, after watching a "helpful" friend try to sweat a few...
  7. Catherina

Hmmm, how would you know that without stopping every few seconds to test it? My understanding is that you're not to hold the solder against the joint while heating - apply the solder after the joint is hot enough. Other sources say fairly consistently that the green flame is a reliable indicator...
  8. Catherina

Thanks guys - I'll give a hotter torch a try. If that's the issue, will I see the same indications that the joint is hot enough to solder (i.e. green flame, etc)? SM - I don't have enough room to use adapters, or I'd do that. I wish I did - I really dislike having to risk damage to the fixture.
  9. Catherina

Hi all, I am new to home repair in general (but now have several hours' experience with plumbing)! I am installing a new tub and shower, and have been working on the copper piping to install the fixtures. I have successfully sweated the copper piping together, but I'm having trouble with...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks