Search results

1. Joerg

Is there a good swimming pool forum somewhere?

Since a long time www.poolforum.com is closed to new members. Registration is disabled, so I guess it's out. Does anyone know a good pool forum similar to this great plumbing forum? Right now I need to know what to do with a pool that clouds up with algae after lots of wildfires, despite...
  2. Joerg

How to remove steel nipple from brass tee?

What are the tricks to remove a steel nipple that connects a brass tee to a brass shut-off valve without breaking it off? We've got those here and there. They all look solidly rusted in place for eternity but there comes a point where a valve needs to be changed out. I know, steel on...
  3. Joerg

Water hammer: Can it damage stuff?

Did a search on this forum but all threads dealt with how to muffle water hammer, not whether it can do any harm. Long story short after installing a new irrigation valve I heard three bangs this morning when the new valve closed and the next (old) valve opened. They are all inline valves...
  4. Joerg

How to stop PVC thread joints from leaking?

It's an irrigation valve this time but same with garden faucets and stuff so it might be of interest to others here. I have a really hard time threading on PVC nipples, adapters, valves and whatnot without hearing that faint hiss when turning on the water. Then drip .... drip .... every ten...
  5. Joerg

Must sprinkler valves be straight up?

Major pain in the neck: This morning one circuit didn't close, valve stuck on open. It's one of those old brass Rainbird 100E inline 1" valves (early 70's) and they placed some of them under (!) the house. What where they thinking? Takes 1/2h to crawl there, under lots of contortion and head...
  6. Joerg

How do I tame a Flushmate tank?

Got a Flushmate 503 pressure-assist tank. Besides the fact that every flush sounds like a tire blow-out it also lands quite a bit of spray under the toilet lid. That is kind of yucky, the next person lifts the lid and drip, drip, drip. Can these things be adjusted, modified, whatever, so the...
  7. Joerg

Anchor wall-discharge to concrete floor?

Hello, Wall-discharge toilets like the Yorkville need to be anchored into the floor (no flange bolts there) and they are heavy. So far I was able to drill through the tile and the 2" mud bed until the plywood underlayment appeared and then drive 5/16" lag bolts. Very sturdy. Now we are...
  8. Joerg

Can I glue a ring onto an ABS flange?

OK, I guess there aren't any other solutions for a wall discharge flange that's too far in and not 100% straight. Too far in for the neoprene seal to bond. In order to bring it out a bit more I was thinking about buying a regular 3" ABS flange piece and cutting off the rim, so that I end up with...
  9. Joerg

Wall discharge: Flange not flush

One of those "Oh Drat" situations: The flange is in the wall, basically an ABS end piece, and is not flush with the wall. Can't reach anything so I can't run a new piece. It's flush on the left side but recessed about 1/8" into the wall on the right. That's too much for those rather thin Zurn...
  10. Joerg

Toilet connection with flood protector ok?

Hello Folks, None of the local stores has 16" connector hoses anymore, only 12" and 20". Sometimes they do have 16" but those are versions with a built-in shut-off that somehow detects a catastrophic line break and shuts off the water so your house won't become a swimming pool. Can those...
  11. Joerg

Richdel valve leaks

Hello Folks, An old Richdel antisiphon valve leaks. Might be the diaphragm since it's more than 10 years old and our water out here is quite heavily chlorinated. Tried turning on/off, no help. Anyhow, I can't totally shut the water off to that valve since the turn-off is right at the meter...
  12. Joerg

Any ways to silence a pressure assist tank?

After the umpteenth shipment we did get an A/S Yorkville that actually worked and wasn't shattered. Wow. Anyhow, since a half year or so that means we have a guest bath again. But that pressure assist tank is really noisy. One of our dogs takes off in a panic whenever the royal flush cometh. I...
  13. Joerg

Hot water dispenser leak

Hello Folks, While fixing another leak I noticed that the Insinkerator hot water dispenser is a bit wet underneath. Searched the web, found there was a recall, unplugged it and now waiting for the kit. The recall said there is a fire risk if the tank leaks but all they send out seems to be a...
  14. Joerg

How to remove remnants of neoprene ring?

Ok, ripped out a (new!) Yorkville because it was defective. I had to yank really hard until the neoprene ring finally split in two. Now, how do I remove the neoprene remnants stuck to the ABS pipe? Alcohol and stuff doesn't seem to cut it in this case. Regards, Joerg.
  15. Joerg

Very poor flush on AS Pressure-Assist

So here we are, brand new pressure assist toilet (American Standard Yorkville). Big disappointment: While it reluctantly clears what's in the bottom of the bowl the paper on top just swirls around. It doesn't slurp down the bowl contents like the old toilet did, the water level neither goes up...
  16. Joerg

More than two toilet seat sizes?

Hello Folks, When we mounted the almost brand new seat of our old elongated bowl onto the new AS Yorkville elongated bowl it seems at least an inch too short. Are there several elongated seat sizes? Or do they want to make us special order "their" seat? Regards, Joerg.
  17. Joerg

Ok to screw flange/toilet to plywood?

Hello Experts, Drilled a couple nice holes through tile and the 2" mudbed underneath. Below that is plywood. No idea how thick but from a test hole it looks like 5/8" or 3/4". Is it ok to screw the 5/16" screws to hold a toilet into that plywood? If yes, what diameter pilot hole do you guys...
  18. Joerg

Which concrete anchors to use for toilet?

Hello Folks, We have tile over a 2" mud bed in the bathroom. I need to fasten the toilet with 5/16" lag bolts per its instructions. It's a back-discharge (Yorkville) so these screws aren't going to a flange ring but right into the floor. In Europe I always used big nylon mollies (Fischer)...
  19. Joerg

Do you guys glue neoprene rings?

Hello Folks, When installing floor-mount back discharge toilets (like the AS Yorkville) do you glue the neoprene ring? If yes, on both sides? The toilet instructions don't seems to say so. The Zurn package indicates to glue both faces but they only show wall-hung (which can move a bit). I...
  20. Joerg

Yorkville: How hard to tighten back bolts?

Hello All, How hard can you tighten the back bolts to pull a Yorkville (back discharge) against the 4" nipple and into the neoprene gasket? The Zurn neoprene gasket isn't very compressible. Since it took several attempts to receive a non-broken toilet I really don't want to risk anything...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks