Search results

1. cdwz

Is this for real, or is it a load of rubbish?

About what I figured. If it looks like snake oil, and smells like snake oil, it's probably snake oil. I wonder how he got so many of his previous customers to vouch for the thing. :confused: Fixed. :)
  2. cdwz

Is this for real, or is it a load of rubbish?

A while back I posted pics of my hot water heater that was full of lime, which not only fouls up the water heater elements, but also makes our drinking glasses look all white and foggy. A few days ago I was talking with our local hardware store owner about the problem, and he recommended me...
  3. cdwz

Norton

That is correct. I don't use/need an anti-virus program either, but for those who do I usually recommend ESET NOD32. Pretty decent product, very good support, reasonable footprint in memory. Also, some good AV program comparisons can be found here.
  4. cdwz

Delta 600 up/down single handle shower valve?

I asked for Delta 1700 series fixtures in our recent bathroom remodel, and I'm glad I did. I've found that the temp control lever is basically "set and forget", so you just give the larger lever a tug and you're in business. We used to have a pull-out tub control, and I found it was pretty...
  5. cdwz

Does my water heater have a bad thermostat?

I hate answers like that :( lol This lime is a real problem, not only for the water heater, but for everywhere else we have water. It musses the inside of the dishwasher, it musses the faucets, it musses the shut-off valves for most of the plumbing fixtures. I wish there was a way to get rid...
  6. cdwz

Water heater problem

I think what Terry is saying is this: Your water heater has two water pipes going into it. One to bring cold water in, and one to bring the hot water out. I think he wants you to get a piece of flexible pipe and connect both of those water lines to each other with it, so that they're no...
  7. cdwz

Well the thing is, we've used this guy before (the double price one) and he's always done decent work and given us reasonable prices. This is by far the largest job we've given him though, and the first one where he's had to bring other people in (i.e. the plumber to do the plumbing work). I...
  8. cdwz

The element removal tool de la morte. the thing's about 24" long! I had to fight to get the lower element out: It finally came out after some gentle coaxing: The lower element was completely encased in sediment. I used a thin wooden dowel to break it up and bit, then wet-vaced as much of...
  9. cdwz

I meant to answer this earlier, sorry. I took pic (as I almost always do) of the replacement process. The original elements were the ones you recommended, but the new ones were the ones you recommended against. I asked the owner of the hardware store about the better elements, and he said he...
  10. cdwz

"other" forums

We recently had some landscaping done. Since we didn't have any referrals from other people, I had to resort to calling a few landscapers and getting some quotes. One guy never bothered to show to give the quote. Between the other two, one of them had a layout we really liked, so we hired...
  11. cdwz

I got a written estimate for the job, which was basically to R&R the bath tub in one bathroom with a soak tub, R&R the fixture, and install a sliding bypass door. Additionally he was to R&R the shower stall in the master bath and prep it to be tiled, and also a new fixture and swinging door on...
  12. cdwz

I'm sure you do. Or at least you think that you do. I understand that you get what you pay for, and I have no problem paying for quality work. We moved into this house in May of 07, and so far we have spent approximately $50,000 on renovations. $20k was proceeds from the sale of our...
  13. cdwz

That's good to know. I don't remember what brand mine are, but I bought them at our local ACE Hardware store, and I got the exact wattage replacements as the originals. The owner of the hardware store has been around for a hundred years, and he usually stocks good stuff. He also advised me to...
  14. cdwz

Haha! Yeah it may have been a bad element, but I don't know for certain as I just went ahead and replaced everything. The t-stat was only $7 and the elements were $11 each, so I figured why not just replace the whole nine yards. It's certainly cheaper than a new water heater (or blowing up...
  15. cdwz

Fixed! :cool: I got tired of trying to find someone competent to come out, so last night when I got home from work, I drained the water heater and pulled both elements. They actually did not look as bad as I expected (our town is on a municipal well system, so you get a lot of white, crusty...
  16. cdwz

I need some Basic Plumbing questions.

What makes you think he'll be any better at carpentry? He might end up lopping his fingers off and try to stick your shop with the hospital bill.
  17. cdwz

I'm glad I turned the breaker off when I got home last night (after the heater was "fixed"). Even after being off for almost 24 hours, having two showers (i.e. two showers worth of cold water introduced into the heater to mix with the hot water), I measured the water coming out of the tap at...
  18. cdwz

I wish! Last winter the pipes going to the kitchen sink froze (they're run in the space between the drywall and the outside wall, so it gets quite cold in there) so I phoned our local plumber to come and move the pipes so that they go directly down through the bottom of the cabinet (and floor)...
  19. cdwz

Talk about beating a dead horse. I'll say this one last time. There is NO power connected to said water heater. Breaker = OFF. With NO electricity, the likelihood of said water heater exploding is probably right around zero. I can see a gas water heater exploding even if the gas was shut...
  20. cdwz

The clip was cool! Years ago, my parents' water heater overheated, but it just flooded the basement with scalding water that came out of that tube leading from the check valve (which I suppose is fortunate, after viewing that clip!) Perhaps I need a better plumber, but I always seem to need...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks