Search results

1. Wally Pfautz

Loose threaded joint

I am installing a hand shower wall fitting onto a brass nipple. The fit between the threads seems sorta loose and I'm concerned that just using pipe dope or teflon tape wont seal between the threads. I wont know right away because any leak will be behind the wall. Is there a trick to ensuring a...
  2. Wally Pfautz

How to sound insulate ABS drains

Hi all, What is the best sound deadening material to use around ABS drain pipes inside an enclosed wall to reduce noise ? I was thinking of using expanding foam around the drains but am not sure if the foam is bad to use with ABS. Is there some other material to pack around the drains...
  3. Wally Pfautz

DWV testing and a thank you

Firstly, Thanks in a great part to you all, I got an A+ on my pre-glue inspection this afternoon. Now for the next hurdle - the water test. My question today is; I have 3 floor drains, 2 closet flanges and a tub trap to seal for the water test. I plan on renting test balls or weenies to seal...
  4. Wally Pfautz

Double fixture fitting for toilets

Is there a minimum length requirement (UPC) between a double fixture fitting and closet flanges used for back to back toilets. Another thread alluded to this. I need to use a 10" rough-in toilet on one side, which puts the length from centerline of toilet flange to centerline of DFF vent at...
  5. Wally Pfautz

Double fixture fitting inlet length

Is there a minimum length requirement (UPC) between a double fixture fitting and closet flanges used for back to back toilets. Another thread alluded to this. I wish to use a 10" rough-in toilet on one side which puts the length from centerline of toilet flange to centerline of DFF vent at about...
  6. Wally Pfautz

Main sewer vent

Is there a requirement (UPC) that the the 4" main sewer line in our house needs a main vent to the roof? I've seen in some plumbing diagrams what looks to be a large diameter (in this case probably 3") vent coming directly off the main sewer trunk and exiting thru the roof undiminished in...
  7. Wally Pfautz

Shower drain placement

Hi, Is it alright to locate a tiled shower pan drain way off-center? I have a 36"x60" space for a shower, and in order to not cut into the joists below, the drain can only be about 10 inches from the back 60" wall. Will that be OK? Thanks, Hazel
  8. Wally Pfautz

Proset trap guard

Hi again, Are these things allowed under the UPC to replace trap primers? http://www.trapguard.com/ Hazel
  9. Wally Pfautz

Washer drain pan required?

Hi, I wish to install a laundry room on the 2nd floor of our Seattle home. Is a drain pan(and drain with p-trap) required? Thanks, Hazel
  10. Wally Pfautz

Utility room drain design

Hi all, I need to build a drain for a 2nd floor 3'x6' utility closet. The closet contains a condensing hot water heater and hydronic radiant distribution plumbing. I'd like to make the whole closet floor into a sloped waterproof pan with a drain in the middle. Is there a recommended design...
  11. Wally Pfautz

Sewage ejector fixture units

Hi all, I'm adding to our DWV system, so am calculating overall sizing. I'm a little confused about drain and venting requirements for an existing sewage ejector pump which serves a 3/4 bath in our basement. The only thing I've read for sizing to plan on 2 F/Us per gal/min of flow. I don't...
  12. Wally Pfautz

Cleanouts

Does a lavatory sanitary Tee / p-trap flange that drains into a combo Wye in the middle of a horizontal drain run with more than 135 deg turns count as a cleanout? Thanks! Hazel
  13. Wally Pfautz

Drainage for two new baths

Hi, I'm hoping to get some critique on the attached DWV mock-up I came up with for our new 2nd floor addition before I start tearing into walls. The fixtures will include two back-to back bathrooms, a washer and a condensing hot water heater. The mock-up is just the general arrangement...
  14. Wally Pfautz

Installing corrugated stainless steel gas lines

I had a short section of CSS tubing installed with a couple of Ts and other fittings by a plumber and the bill was $550, which I thought was pretty high for such a simple job. I need to extend this new service to create a whole new branch for an addition, and want to use the CSS tubing like...
  15. Wally Pfautz

Corrugated stainless gas piping

My code-check book indicates that it is not allowed under UPC. A contractor used it to make a new gas service branch in our house in Seattle where the UPC is used. Am I in violation now? Hazel
  16. Wally Pfautz

Wet vent vs. soil stack?

I'm confused between the two subject line terms. I have a kitchen sink / dishwasher combo that drains into a 2" drain and has a 2" vent. I want to add a bar sink to drain into the 2" vent on the floor above the kitchen. There won't be an offset. Firstly, can I do this? It seems from my...
  17. Wally Pfautz

Common Venting

Hi , I need some advice about venting through a new addition roof. We added a second floor and simple trussed hip roof on top of our existing house and I need to poke whatever vent holes are required through the roof prior to shingling. There are like 8 or more vents in various locations on...
  18. Wally Pfautz

DIY gas line plumbing

I had a new gas line branch only added at the meter for a new second floor addition and kitchen remodel. I need to continue the rough work to reach the various appliances. Flexible SS line was used and I wish to use it as well. I notice most places will only sell flexible SS line and fittings to...
  19. Wally Pfautz

Common venting

I just added a second floor that completely covers the first, and want to specify roof vent penetrations before I shingle the new roof, which needs to happen ASAP since the rains have started in earnest here in Seattle. I have various vents on exterior walls (as much as 33 feet apart), as...
  20. Wally Pfautz

Plumbing system design service?

In the plumbing business, is there such a thing as a design only service for the DIYer? I'm about to embark on a one-man major remodel which will include adding a second story with two bathrooms, HWH, W/D and bar sink. I'm confident I can do the work, but have enough on my plate that it would...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks