Search results

1. Palladio

Need advice on boosting water pressure

So the contractor is talking about installing a pump for the tub only that would be placed between the thermostatic valve and the spout. I think he is sort of pulling this one out of you know where. We are talking about a 3/4" thermostatic valve, followed by a 3/4" volume control, with a...
  2. Palladio

Raising the water tank would cost more like $5,000,000. It's the size of a small house and is enclosed in the top of the building! Also can't raise pressure at the source, since that's building supplied. My building has over 200 apartments and takes up an entire city block front, it is also...
  3. Palladio

Very useful information, thanks. How about a pump like the Grunfos MQ shown here? http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/plumbing/grundfos/grundfosjetpumpbuypage.asp This one seem like it has a small enough pressure tank that it wouldn't take long to get to hot supply.
  4. Palladio

I would need to do more than squeak. I would probably have to hire a lawyer. So Redwood, what's the issue with running hot water through a pump?
  5. Palladio

Ok so maybe a stupid question, but does copper galvanize? All of the original pipes are copper.
  6. Palladio

Don't know about galvanized pipes. Most of the run of pipe is new 3/4" copper, done for this installation. However, the first five feet or so may be sixty years old. So I need to check the static pressure back at the stack where it comes into the apartment. How do I tell if the pipes are...
  7. Palladio

Yeah, I already politely raised that issue with the building. Didn't get very far. What issues does hot water raise? Pump problems? I'm also concerned about noise. The only place I could put the pump is in a bedroom wall adjacent to the bathroom. I don't really want to be listening...
  8. Palladio

The truth hurts sometimes! If this were just a normal house application, I could put in a pump from the main from the street. Since I am in a building and have separate hot/cold supplies coming into the apartment, do I have to install two pumps?
  9. Palladio

My bathroom remodeling in a 1930 apartment building in NYC came to a halt today. When installing plumbing to the new tub we found that we only get 10-15 psi of pressure (through a 3/4" thermostatic valve with a 3/4" line out). We are getting maybe 1.5 gal per minute. By the time I fill a 65...
  10. Palladio

Can a pot filler be used to fill a bathtub?

In talking this through with the plumber, we think we can solve the problem using the Kohler laminar spout. We can't mount it directly overhead due to a pre-existing glass ceiling that would be too expensive to remove and replace. However, we are thinking about mounting it in a small box-like...
  11. Palladio

Thanks for that information. Unfortunately, the tub is already paid for (and arrived Monday), and I don't think this would work on my particular Duravit model. The tub rim angles back sharply at the top, and the integral overflow is located at this part of the rim in order to give maximum...
  12. Palladio

Have you seen a Kohler ceiling mounted laminar spout in operating in person? Just curious if the thing really works as advertised.
  13. Palladio

What does a thermostatic valve do while "waiting" for hot water?

So what I should see in a thermostatic valve in this situation is a lower pressure flow of water (all from the hot line that is not "hot" yet) until the hot water arrives at the preset temperature, then the shower pressure come up to full as the cold water is mixed in to compensate? And as you...
  14. Palladio

Thanks for all the information. Very interesting and informative. Now I am really curious how the whole building system works and will have to ask the super and plumbers. One thing to consider is that this building was built in 1929-30, and I'd bet that most of the plumbing is still close...
  15. Palladio

Are most high quality thermostatic valves (i.e. Grohe) also pressured balanced? I don't see much mention of this looking through the online catalogs.
  16. Palladio

Got it. Does a balanced pressure valve also run full flow hot until the hot arrives? Also, does a thermostatic valve protect against temperature changes with pressure drops (i.e. a toilet flushed nearby) as well as a balanced pressure unit of similar quality?
  17. Palladio

Thanks for the creative input. This would be great, but probably won't work in my application. Because it's a 1930 apartment building with solid masonry walls and floors (and everything is crammed into pretty tight spaces), there would be no place to put the pump without doing major demo...
  18. Palladio

Still debating the merits of balanced pressure vs. thermostatic for my new shower, never having owned either before. Since I'm on the 32nd floor of a building, I have to turn on the shower and wait for several minutes to get hot water (the boiler is in the basement). Currently I've got an...
  19. Palladio

The integral filler I wanted to use was part of a Duravit "Second Floor" tub. Duravit doesn't sell the tub in the USA or Canada and won't sell me one (I already called them and tried). What are the integral fillers you're talking about? Can you tell me any names or model numbers...
  20. Palladio

Do thermostatic valves supply higher GPM than balanced pressure units?

Redwood, I follow you on this. And yes that is indeed the Harrington unit I am considering. I do have the advantage of knowing what I'm installing, and if it breaks I don't need to waste 5 hours of a plumber's time to source parts. Elsewhere on this board someone said that Harrington uses...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks