Search results

1. findmatt77

bathroom supply leak

For closure's sake, and anyone else who's reading this and plagued by a similar problem, I solved it with about 3 rotations of teflon tape(maybe 4) and a little smear of pipe joint compound(aka pipe dope). I tightened each connection really snuggly, but didn't hunker down on it. I think...
  2. findmatt77

Renu 1948 parts - Help!

So would the troubleshooting process entail simply trying a thinner washer between the barrel and stem? Fun, no. Learning a lot, yes.
  3. findmatt77

Renu 1948 parts - Help!

Much clearer to me now. Thanks. (The stem that I bought was packaged with the barrel. So I assume they're a good match.) So you think if the brass washer is too thick, there's a chance the rubber washer on the front of the stem isn't making a good connection?
  4. findmatt77

Renu 1948 parts - Help!

Redwood - not sure I follow. There's a pretty thick rubber washer that came with the new stem... it rests between the stem and the wall pipe(is barrel the proper name for the wall pipe?). Are you suggesting that washer might be too thick?
  5. findmatt77

Renu 1948 parts - Help!

The gasket is definitely there. I did apply a little silicone grease to that gasket. That wouldn't be a problem would it?
  6. findmatt77

Renu 1948 parts - Help!

And the battle rages on! Thanks for all the help thus far. As it turns out, I needed to replace the stems on both faucets(hot & cold), so I've been able to use a different flange that comes with proper escutcheons. New problem: I have the new stems installed, but the hot faucet now leaks...
  7. findmatt77

Renu 1948 parts - Help!

Edit: Got it. Did a little research. Anyone have any recommendations about a good supply shop in Portland, Oregon? HJ - excuse my ignorance, but when you say escutcheon nipple, exactly what part of the faucet assembly are you referring to? (I'm trying to envision what part would be 12". I...
  8. findmatt77

Renu 1948 parts - Help!

I've installed a new tub surround in a 1948 duplex. As a result, the flange that covers the stem and packing nut will no longer attach properly. I've included a photo of the faucet handles before the new tub surround was installed. The problem is the new surround is thicker, and the threaded...
  9. findmatt77

bathroom supply leak

DuWayne: Thanks for the info, I'll try reconnecting using more teflon tape. If that doesn't work, I'll add a little dope. You got it Redwood... 1948 duplex: galvanized steel in the walls.
  10. findmatt77

bathroom supply leak

Thanks for the replies. Jimbo: You're correct about the materials except for the nipple: it's galvanized steel. I've never used pipe joint compound/dope... I'll go buy some. It just brushes on? Does it matter if the stop valves are pointing up? If so, how do I orchestrate it so that...
  11. findmatt77

bathroom supply leak

I just installed new 1/2" nipples in the supply lines for a bathroom sink, along with new stop vales on each nipple. Now I have 2 leaks: One where one of the nipples connects to the elbow joint inside the wall (In this case, the connection between the nipple and the joint is right at the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks