Search results

1. Marv

Replace weatherhead without turning off service?

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT hack saw blades were recommended. If they were I'd like to know who was stupid enough to actually speak the words What would you do if no meter was available...wait for three weeks for electric company?
  2. Marv

The truth is, the electrical inspector told me to do it that way. He also suggested I could use #8 bare copper flattened at the ends. (I think it was #8, it was a year ago).
  3. Marv

In my area: My son bought a house with an inside meter and 4 fuses for the house. I added a new weather head, meter head, service panel and 6 new circuts. I stuck two hacksaw blades into the meter head with a piece of cardboard marked "live 5-10-07". I climbed up to the weather head and cut...
  4. Marv

New Service Panel Question

I've used the second one. I've also used the yellow ones that are similar (and the yellow with double inputs).
  5. Marv

I'm not sure who makes them, just go to home depot and look for the plastic inserts by the metal connectors. They're fast and quick and hold the wire great.
  6. Marv

Removing Compound

With the Porter Cable there is no dust and it sands very quickly.
  7. Marv

Two wires in every hole (12 & 14 gauge). In our county we can use the yellow or grey plastic fittings. Very easy to use.
  8. Marv

Removing Compound

Rent a Porter cable drywall sander and vacuum. You wont regret it.
  9. Marv

Basement flooded

Then how do your explain a service panel that is covered with water and still powering up a house (happened here), or a basement being flooded with water and the lights are still on (happened here).
  10. Marv

Green Mold Spores on Roof

I'm not sure what solution you should spray to remove mold. I have heard that half water and half bleach will do the trick, but this may discolor your shingles. Here's my tip: after the mold is removed, install coper or zinc strips towards the top of the roof peak. Rain water running...
  11. Marv

Table saw question

It works, I've seen it at a trade show. They tried to sell it to saw manufacturers. I think they eventually ended up building their own with it in it. There was an article in Popular Science years ago I'll bet they didn't demonstrate it very often. It is a big job and big bucks to replace...
  12. Marv

Dryer Vent

Thanks guys.
  13. Marv

vapor barrier basement in Northeast

I used 2x4 walls and no vapor barrier and unfaced insulation. No vapor barrier will let the wall breath. Any kraft facing, spray foam or foamboard has the potential of trapping moisture. I put a 4" heat run in each room and they are the warmest rooms in the house.
  14. Marv

Basement flooded

you are lucky you got them to come on in the flooded basement without getting shocked....... Off Topic: Distilled water is actually an insulator. If a storm fills your basement over the service panel, you probably will not loose power in the house and the lights can still be on under...
  15. Marv

Dual Gas Hot Water Heater - Low Temp

Do you have a water softner? Use its bypass valves and see if the softner is slowing the hot water flow.
  16. Marv

Dryer Vent

I'm tired of buying cheap dryer vents at the big box stores. They are cheap plastic and fall apart easily. Any suggestions on where to get a quality vent?
  17. Marv

Table saw question

In Fine Homebuilding, I saw a guy make his own wood miter box to hold 14" crown and then cut it with a hand saw.
  18. Marv

Table saw question

I bought a new hand saw a couple of years ago. Small blade and extremely sharp. While building a Habitat house, I cut myself about 4 times with it. Very embarrasing!
  19. Marv

Basement flooded

Google for "water powered sump pump". You can get a backup sump pump that runs on city water pressure.
  20. Marv

GFI in series?

I have a 1 year old fridge at the office (full size) that just started to trip the GFCI its plugged into. I think its just because the motor is drawing a little extra current as it ages. I plugged it into another outlet and its fine. Motors can often trip a GFCI.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks