Search results

1. apparentgenius

Converting 240 circuit to 2 120 circuits

Thanks. That makes sense. The rooms are essentially in blocks of 6, so I was thinking of experimenting with one section. The winters are fairly mild here so I think I may be allright with the 120. If not, it will be fairly easy to go back to 240 Thanks, glen
  2. apparentgenius

Converting 240 circuit to 2 120 circuits

My wife and I just embarked on a new career. We purchased a small motel on the Oregon coast. The place was built in 1949. There is some original wiring, some add on. THe original room wiring (lights and recepticles) consisted of 6 20a circuits (fuses) feeding 17 rooms. I found the...
  3. apparentgenius

Advice needed, problem with short wires in box

Everyone, Thanks for the advice and clarity on the code. I'll give the inspector a call and see if he lets me go the pigtail route. Might as well ask before pulling new wire. Glen
  4. apparentgenius

Advice needed, problem with short wires in box

In my never ending remodeling projects, I am in the process of adding a couple of recepticles to my existing kitchen circuit. It is a 20A circuit and only has 2 single receptacles on it now and I am changing them to duplexes. The problem is that the wires in the boxes were trimmed very...
  5. apparentgenius

Shared neutral

Well, this thread is good timing for me. I have a receptacle box in my house that has 2 switches that control living room and kitchen lights on 2 different circuits. I recently changed the switches (wife wanted white instead of tan). The neutrals on these 2 circuits are wire nutted together...
  6. apparentgenius

DIY Electrical

ok, then is the third one that the cables need to be stapled within 12" of the panel and not that the recepticle box is half on/half off of the strandboard?
  7. apparentgenius

DIY Electrical

Well, was I close?
  8. apparentgenius

DIY Electrical

Ok, I'll open myself up for abuse. I'll go for it looks like the runs are stacked and stapled more than 2 deep, the bend radii look tight and the receptical box looks like it isn't very securely mounted. glen
  9. apparentgenius

Outlet ground prong orientation

JW. I truly mean this. Thank you for the response. It is very informative and that was my original intent, to gather opinions so that I could decide which is best for my application. I agree with your statement of LEARNING to talk the talk. The learning process involves myself not knowing...
  10. apparentgenius

I install them upside down when I use them for shop lights. Glen
  11. apparentgenius

SInce there is no clear right or wrong, I'm going to buck the trend with what I see around here and go ground prong up because I like the idea of the ground being up incase something drops on it. Glen
  12. apparentgenius

Thanks for the clarity. I full agree with doing it right, that's why I ask questions and pass inspections on my first try. Thanks again for the help From Wikipedia Power sockets, power receptacles, or power outlets are female electrical connectors that have slots or holes which accept...
  13. apparentgenius

Jar 546, Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to go with ground up unless there is a fixed item, like a fridge where it works better in the down position. I read another story about how a kid got shocked using a remote control toy with an antenna that slid down the wall and hit the hot...
  14. apparentgenius

Ok, ground hole, ground pin acceptor, ground port, place meant for ground prong etc. if you don't want to call it a slot. If you knew what I meant, what's the point in posting to be difficult?
  15. apparentgenius

Ok, so here's an easy question. I'm installing the outlets in my new house. I know that the code does not specify the orientation of the ground slot (up or down), however, Ray Mullen's residential wiring guide suggests the ground in the up position is superior. His reasoning is that if you...
  16. apparentgenius

100 amp sub panel load question

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I have a little re-arranging to do and I'll be all set. glen
  17. apparentgenius

100 amp sub panel load question

Hi, I am wiring my new house and have installed a 200A main panel with 36 slots. This particular panel does not accept double breakers so I am limited to 36 slots. I have installed a 100 amp sub panel in the adjacent stud bay. My question is how much can I run on this panel. I would...
  18. apparentgenius

Rough in inspection question

Hi, I'm currently plumbing my 2 story home under construction. I plumbed all of the 1st level and passed the under floor rough in. I am now completing the second floor and am almost ready for my final rough in inspection. My inspector wants me to fill the entire DWV system with water for...
  19. apparentgenius

DWV vents

Hi, I'm in the process of plumbing my new house. I undestand the vent sizes required for various fixtures and I also understand the total sq in needed for vents for my sewerpipe size. My question is how many 1 1/2" vents can I combine as I run up to the roof before I need to...
  20. apparentgenius

supply line sizing

Hi Plumber Jim, The water company says that my pressure is 65 psi at the meter. If that's the case, can I feed all of that with a 3/4" line? I'm planning on using the 1" copper ported manifolds, 3/4" inlets, 1/2" outlets. Thanks, glen
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks