Search results

1. TorontoTim

PEX to Water Heater connection

I know this is an older thread, but better than starting a new one, right? I just replaced the anode rod in my Bradford White heater (integrated with the hot outlet) and have realized I made an error. This is at a seasonal cottage, off grid, with a propane B-vent heater. I got rid of the...
  2. TorontoTim

TOTO Entrada, CST244EF, CST243EF Review and comments

Following up on an old thread - the Entrada is still running strong as our only toilet at the cottage, 6 years later. Not a single problem - never used a plunger on it and it's survived winters with no trouble.
  3. TorontoTim

Are Air Admittance Valves as Good As Vent Out Roof

How on earth does a garbage can prevent the routing of a 2 inch vent (can likely get away with 1 1/2 inch) from your kitchen sink? Buy a different garbage can if you really can't find the 2 inches behind it or whatever the problem is.
  4. TorontoTim

Connect 1/4" NPT to standard supply shut-off

Well like I say, this is mostly for fun. Doesn't need to be all that accurate. It will be handy from time to time, as being off grid, timing of electrical use is important even with the solar panels, a 4000w inverter and 12 x 6v 200ah batteries holding power. But originally this was planned...
  5. TorontoTim

Went up to a friend's place to work on some motorcycles last night, and on a hunch brought my NPT fittings. He's in the fork lift business, and had a bin of bits that were destined for the trash at work. Loads of tapered thread fittings which convert to straight threads. Found a variety that...
  6. TorontoTim

Bathroom ventilation - multiple fans to one 4" eave vent duct

Sounds like you need a central fan that services all the baths. Pulls air out of all the rooms at once, and out the single vent.
  7. TorontoTim

The gauge is really just for fun. It's going in the bath at my off grid cabin. I pump water out of the lake into pressure tanks with a simple 120v jet water pump. Shutoff is around 50psi and it cuts back in at 30, if I happen to have electricity at that moment. Since planning the bath I've...
  8. TorontoTim

Yeah but that's tapered to tapered. I need to go from tapered to non-tapered.
  9. TorontoTim

Need a 1/4 NPT Female on one end, and 3/8 straight thread on the other side or some other size that I can get a braided fitting for. Looks like pneumatics etc. are one source - I just want to be sure I'm speaking the right thread language. And yes, it would appear to be bronze. At the end of...
  10. TorontoTim

For my off grid cabin, I'd like to plumb in a water pressure gauge in the cabin to display the current pressure in the system, so I know roughly when it's time to run the lake water intake pump to fill my pressure tanks. Would be nice to know before jumping in the shower that I'm going to run...
  11. TorontoTim

Moving a 3 piece bathroom - drain and vent plan

I'm about to do the rough-in drains for a 3 piece bath I'm relocating at a cabin. It drains into a septic system. The 'old' bathroom is the one on the long back wall of the cabin. The 'new' bathroom is on the short side wall. Once the new one is up and running I will disconnect the drains...
  12. TorontoTim

Mortar under shower pan - new question

There have of course been many discussions about mortar, Structolite, expanding foam, roofing felt and other sorts of product used under tubs and shower pans. My question isn't about whether to do this or not, but rather if I chose to, could I in my situation. I'm doing a 3 piece bathroom at...
  13. TorontoTim

Moving bathroom in cottage - verify venting plan

Fair enough. I wasn't 100% sure as shower drains don't seem to follow that rule near as I can figure, nor of course toilets. One of my thoughts originally was to put the sink and shower traps below the floor so they could be after the vent line but I seem to recall the trap has to be close to...
  14. TorontoTim

In doing some more searching, I came across discussions on venting kitchen islands with loop vents. Could I approach this problem with a similar solution? Is it only applicable for a single drain, or can a 3 piece bath be vented like an island...
  15. TorontoTim

Well, then I really didn't get this right at all. I'm honestly a little confused however. If the toilet was wet vented through the sink drain, it would be ok I presume? If there was a vent line continuing up from the sink drain up and through the roof? What's the difference between that and...
  16. TorontoTim

Well it's not going to kill me that's for sure :) I can go straight up and punch through the roof with another vent stack. I just can't go up with a normal vent and carry it over in the attic space to the current stack as there is no access between them. Its a vaulted ceiling with minimal...
  17. TorontoTim

Just a few more notes I installed the Entrada in our small 1 bath cottage and have had as many as 7 people here with children who use prodigious quantities of tissue. Not a single clog yet. Also, even in the hot humid summer days with no HVAC systems I haven't seen a drop of condensation on...
  18. TorontoTim

And of course after I drew the diagram and posted, I realized I could/should likely run a vent in the crawlspace for the kitchen sink and join the new vent line before it comes up through the floor and join the main stack - instead of an AAV. For 2 sinks, a toilet and tub/shower, is a 2 inch...
  19. TorontoTim

I need to relocate a bathroom in a small 800 sq ft cottage. Currently it is between the kitchen sink and main vent stack, and then the drain continues to drain into the septic system. It will be located off to the side, as per the diagrams attached. I can leave the vent stack in place, and...
  20. TorontoTim

Sorry everyone! Works great. Flushes well, went together very easily and seems well made. I'm using it up at the cottage so it's not getting much use, but we did have 7 people up there for 5 days (4 adults, 3 kids) and never encountered a problem. I'm not a professional - this is my 4th...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks