Search results

1. Billy_Bob

Bonding two sections of copper pipe with PEX between them?

Thanks drick! I'll post the link... Washington to impose fine on plumbers that repipe houses without maintaining the ground or bonding... https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?34724-Heads-up-for-Washington-State-Plumbers What an electrical inspector has to say about this (see post 12...
  2. Billy_Bob

So far as this discussion, it's not important if you have those unions or not, I'm just trying to point out that sometimes one section of pipe will be electrically isolated from another section of pipe. Sometimes not. Here is a water meter which might not be electrically conductive (fittings?)...
  3. Billy_Bob

Good! (Safer) FYI "dielectric unions" are used on gas or electric water heaters. Here is a bit on that...
  4. Billy_Bob

In addition to adding the bonding jumpers around the PEX as recommended, be sure to add a bonding jumper from the metal hot water pipes to the metal cold water pipes. This is usually done at the hot water heater on the pipe side of the water heater fittings/flexible lines. Hot water heaters...
  5. Billy_Bob

Well you were shocked because the pipes were not bonded to ground. Something to think about... Also it is not "ohms law", rather an "ohm meter". A "continuity meter" is next best. How to use either... (here used to test fuses) http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Test_Fuse.htm
  6. Billy_Bob

P.S. You would also want to check the pipes with the long wire and ohm meter to be sure they were also properly bonded back to the main ground.
  7. Billy_Bob

I use an ohm meter myself. This is a setting on a multimeter. Sort of like a "continuity" test, but better and more feedback/accuracy of testing method. If you have a long extension cord, measure the "ohms" in one wire from the plug to the outlet. Disconnected of course. You will get a certain...
  8. Billy_Bob

Good point! If the pipes and the electrical box were properly grounded, this would not have happened! Check that the metal electrical box is properly grounded, that the new light fixture is properly grounded if metal, that the ground in the wire is good, and the main electrical system...
  9. Billy_Bob

Well that's even better... Get a new fixture and be sure the electrical box/wires look ok, and you should be all set. Problem solved!
  10. Billy_Bob

Good detective work! Now what was the cause? There should be a wire clamp on the wire going to that box which prevents the sharp metal of the box from cutting into the wire. Or perhaps there was a loose wire on the light fixture touching the metal of the fixture, then that was connected to...
  11. Billy_Bob

Ground fault interupter question

Yes the current would need to flow through your body. Then the GFCI would trip turning off the electricity. BUT this happens SO fast, you don't even notice it! People frequently have faulty handheld appliances plugged into a GFCI. The GFCI keeps shutting off. They think something is wrong with...
  12. Billy_Bob

New exterior receptacle in old brick wall

If that is in a wet area, you will be plugging in an extension cord which will go into a wet area, or you have animals in the area (dog) which might chew on an electric cord, be sure to install a GFCI outlet. (Protects people/animals from electrocution.) (Also dogs which like to "mark their...
  13. Billy_Bob

New exterior receptacle in old brick wall

Yes. Just cut out a rectangular hole the size and deepness for your electrical box*, then mortar the electrical box into the hole. New construction, use a half brick or cut a brick to the size you need. Mortar in the electrical box and wire along with the bricks. *As to cutting the...
  14. Billy_Bob

220 V well timer. Where can I find one?

You're probably best to hire an electrician for this project.
  15. Billy_Bob

220 V well timer. Where can I find one?

If you can't find one, you could use a 120 volt single pole timer to operate a double pole contactor which is activated by 120 volts. A contactor is a relay, but is designed to be mounted in a large electrical box. Be sure the contacts or switches on the contactor have a high enough amperage...
  16. Billy_Bob

GFCI receptacle install

Wiring has resistance or "ohms" The further away from the breaker panel you get, the more resistance in the wiring there would be. A safe way to check this would be to measure the resistance in the ground wire from the breaker panel. Turn off all the power in the house to be safer...
  17. Billy_Bob

Premature lamp burnout

Poor quality bulbs. Return them for a refund! When I was a kid, light bulbs used to last a long time. About the last 10 years they have been getting worse and worse. Corporate greed if you ask me.
  18. Billy_Bob

How to check transformer operational

What I would typically do if something is not working is measure the voltage at the primary for 120 VAC with a multimeter. Then measure the voltage at the secondary. Then go from there. Very rarely have I ever needed to replace a transformer for a non-working electronic power supply...
  19. Billy_Bob

Upgrading house wiring

You said the word "hydro"... Are you from Canada? It is a good thing to fill out your location (by clicking on the User CP on the above left). Then people can give you more accurate advice. Anyway I have no idea about what is required for Canada, so best to ask your local electrical...
  20. Billy_Bob

Upgrading house wiring

Can you post pictures? Post a picture of a far away view of the garage in relation to the house so we can see the garage and the house in the same picture. Then the basement looking up at where the wires go. And the garage looking down at where the wires go.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks