Search results

1. Wrex

Help installing whole house surge suppressor

On modern panels the neutral from the pole transformer center tap and the ground wire (connected to a grounding rod on your property) are bonded (joined together) in the main panel. It's normal to see the ground wires and neutrals on the same bus bar at the main panel only. Any sub panels must...
  2. Wrex

Multimeter Recommendation

As others said for $50 bucks you're going China. Even a basic Fluke meter will cost you in the $130 range and ironically the Flukes at that price point the 110 series are also made in China. They're well built but not made in the USA only the higher end Flukes like the 80 series and some others...
  3. Wrex

leaking Dishwasher supply connection at 90 angle pipe threads

Hj is right you followed the instructions too precisely. I had to install my new dishwasher just this June I coated the tapered threads on the elbow with white non toxic (potable water safe) thread sealant. Screwed it on by hand and snugged it up with a box end wrench that's all no muscle...
  4. Wrex

Installing P trap for the first time..chrome or plastic?

Usually to get that clean look at the joint after soldering you wipe the joint with a damp rag shortly after applying the solder just FYI. Just make sure that you wipe away from your arm and not towards it I have caught some wayward solder on my skin before not a fun experience :). MAPP...
  5. Wrex

Gas line question

Jimbo's advice is spot on the BTU rating of the appliance or appliances and distance determines the gas pipe size. The larger pipe reduces the pressure drop over long distances the pipe can then be reduced again with a reducing coupling to the proper size for your appliance. With all the...
  6. Wrex

leaking Dishwasher supply connection at 90 angle pipe threads

Ditch the teflon tape and get some pipe dope as others said apply it to the threads and reinstall it. I'm suprised that the leak isn't coming from the compression fitting especially if you reused the old ferrule :D.
  7. Wrex

Sharkbite to water heater

No I knew that they were approved for concealed locations I mean't that I didn't like the idea. A fitting leaking behind drywall silently creating mold! As for failure I'm talking 10 to 20 years will be the true test not a few. It's no big deal if the fittings are accessable in a...
  8. Wrex

I am still wary about this new Sharkbite technology we'll see how they hold up a few decades from now. Will they be fine or will they end up like Polybutylene Pipe fittings? Fine today and leaking tomorrow. Luckily I hope no one has piped their entire house with these things :rolleyes...
  9. Wrex

I have never seen so many Sharkbite fittings in one area before :eek:. World record time :D.
  10. Wrex

Old Hot Water Heater = Legs----New Hot Water Heater = No Legs!

You don't mention whether you have a gas or electric heater but if it is hard plumbed then you definitely want to handle this before the installation. Since handling it later will be much more difficult especially if the piping is installed very tightly which won't give any wiggle room to...
  11. Wrex

Plumbers Tool?

You will need something like this: Just search for faucet puller or go to a local plumbing supply store and you'll find what you need.
  12. Wrex

Plumbers Tool?

If you must use a penetrating lube use PB Blaster. It's the king of penetrating lubes I've broken the most stubborn rusted bolts loose on exhaust manifolds with it.
  13. Wrex

Less ugly way to cap old galv vent?

When I had to remove an old galvanized pipe out of a threaded cast iron wye in my house. I cut the galvanized leaving 4 inches from the cast iron with a reciprocating saw then I took a wide chisel and a 4 lb hammer and crushed the galvanized pipe into itself. Eventually I was able to grab...
  14. Wrex

Can't disconnect old gas stove connection

Make sure that your "piece of mind" isn't unfounded make sure that the plumber leak checks the joints after the work is done.
  15. Wrex

ball valve blew up

When soldering the pipe won't come up to sweating temperature unless the pipe being soldered is purged of water. If a copper joint leaks as others said the proper procedure is to disassemble the joints sand the ends of the pipes. Using a wire brush clean out the fitting or valve apply flux...
  16. Wrex

Connecting propane flex tubes end-to-end?

Bottom line get a plumber to extend the black iron or do it yourself with a permit and get it inspected. As the others have already said flex tubing is only for the short run from the appliance to the black iron and it's not designed to be used as the gas equivalent of an extension cord. Not...
  17. Wrex

Saved by the Floodstop

Motorized shutoff valves for flood prevention? Man is that overkill or what? It sounds good in theory but if deposits form on the valve components and they increase the resistance needed to close the valve and overcome the torque that the motor can supply then you have a malfunction...
  18. Wrex

Dishwasher leak

I just did thanks for the reminder.
  19. Wrex

Dishwasher leak

Calm down Red it was a joke. Battle? I think of it more as a squabble.
  20. Wrex

Dishwasher leak

Red this is between me and Mickey Rooney here twos company three is a crowd :D. Looking forward to your next post Nh you are sunshine on a cloudy day :rolleyes:.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks