Search results

1. loafer

Pressure Reducing Valve

I have small Watts reducing valve that is used to drop the pressure to 15psi on a conditioning chamber. The problem I have is the valve will not hold pressure. No matter what I set it to, the pressure slowly increases until it reaches full supply pressure. I replaced the valve with a new...
  2. loafer

Off-grid New Well

It's HSLA for "High Strength Low Alloy" and it is the most corrosion resistant of the three metals you mentioned. it will also cost you1.5 - 2x more than standard low carbon steel. PVC will offer the best corrosion resistance though and is commonly and safely used all over the country...
  3. loafer

Mayan Plumbing

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/2011/05/05/white-trash-repairs-historical-thursday-mayan-plumbing/#more-22072
  4. loafer

Well water tank storage ---would like to pressurize with compressed air

You CAN NOT pressurize your water storage tanks with compressed air. They are not designed, nor certified as a pressure vessel. In this country, there are very strict standards governing pressure vessels due to the large amount of energy stored in the vessel with a compressible medium (such as...
  5. loafer

Wiring a shed

Why two ground rods?
  6. loafer

Sump pump/pit conundrum....

Do you intend for both pumps to run at the same time? I don’t think it will work well if both pumps are plumbed into a common pipe, regardless of what you do with check valves and pipe diameters. The battery backup systems work with both pumps connected to the same pipe because both pumps will...
  7. loafer

Dayton Sump Pumps?

Are they junk? I'm using a 3/4Hp, 110GPM model to drain an 18 gallon tank used to recover water from an engine dyno. The pump sits for months at a time w/o being used. When we go to use it, it just hums but won't spin. If I take the pump out, spin the impeller with my hand it will then...
  8. loafer

Sump pump outside drain question w/ pictures

Those pipes are not supposed to be connected. That is a typical air gap setup for a sump pump. That gap should not be that big though 2-4in is normal. I'll try to attach a diagram...though it appears the file size limit is too small to attach any of them. I had to crop out and shrink the...
  9. loafer

Copper/Galvanized Corrosion

You may want to change it. The galvanic series for galvanized steel and copper indicate a difference of 0.85V. The maximum recommended is 0.5V in a controlled humidity environment. If the pipe sweats at all the corrosion will accelerate even more.
  10. loafer

Bsement flooding remidies?

When I worked for an excavating company we used to dig along the foundation, maybe 1 – 2’ deep and install perforated drain pipe (similar to what you describe) in the bottom of the trench, then back fill to top with 1” crushed stone. This only works if you can slope the pipe downhill and...
  11. loafer

Mini Disaster in Scarsdale, NY

If they are not willing to clean up the tree, cut it up yourself and toss the pieces into their yard.
  12. loafer

How does a water faucet work?

Sounds like a troll...
  13. loafer

Can I “winterize†the charged water feed lines in my cottage with RV anti-freeze?

Why not just drain the entire water system? That's what we used to do. RV antifreeze in the traps and toilet bowl after it was bailed out. If you locate your drain properly at a low point, the water will siphon out of all the pipes when you open up all the faucets. We had a crawl space...
  14. loafer

Converting Shed roof to gable?

I like the hip roof idea.
  15. loafer

Converting Shed roof to gable?

You shouldn't need engineering involved for this, just a building permit. Find out what the appropriate snow load is for your region and then use the span tables to size your rafters. In my region (S. Maine) 2x6s on 16†centers would be sufficient. Code enforcement will want to see propper...
  16. loafer

Insulating (around) plumbing in cantilever & garage - in Alaska!

A practice that is commonly used here in Maine for camps that routinely are left with the heat off for long periods of time is to set up a closed hot water system and use 50/50 antifreeze/water mix. We used to have a camp set up like this with a forced hot water system. Up stairs in the loft...
  17. loafer

P-trap newbie

If everyone knew what they were doing, there would be no point to this forum.
  18. loafer

Bonding/grounding and PEX

Bonding is providing a low resistance path of all metal that could become energized back to the service entrance neutral. This is why the ground and neutral are tied together at the service entrance. If a low resistance path is not established and any metal becomes energized with a “hot” wire...
  19. loafer

Question about insulating garage (framing issue)

Ok. I thought you were referring to the original configuration with just rafters and joists in regards to the snow load. With the truss, there will be global bending of the truss, but not in the truss members. I’ll refrain from comment on the PE requirement :)
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks