Search results

1. Blown

Tiling a laundry/furnace room

A friend of a friend asked if I was interested in tiling her laundry room. I said sure, then when I saw it found out it was more than just a laundry room. It's an odd-shaped room that has the laundry, furnace, water heater, and a small storage area. She wants it ALL tiled in, basically...
  2. Blown

Acrylic over oil-based - How badly did I screw up?

I accepted a job for a friend painting some cabinets. She provided the paint, and I was told it was the same type as the original but in a different shade of black. My mistake was that I didn't look at the cans and made an assumption based on what i was told. The old paint was oil-based...
  3. Blown

Quickest/best way to paint cabinet doors?

I have 10 cabinet doors to paint and I'm in a time crunch this weekend, so I don't have time to screw around. The doors are currently painted with a black oil-based enamel. I've removed the hinges and sanded lightly. The new paint is acrylic enamel (this is what I was provided). Should I try...
  4. Blown

How do I replace this pex fitting w/o buying a special tool?

I'm getting ready to install tile in my bathroom and realized i need to remove the shutoff valve for the toilet so that I only have to drill a hole in the tile for the tube itself. The shutoff valve is attached directly to the PEX and I don't have tools for that. What's my best course of...
  5. Blown

More tile questions

My last thread was geared toward dealing with plumbing when installing new tile, so I thought that starting a new thread was apt. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the toilet flange dealt with and will install the Ditra underlayment over the plywood I laid down. I extended the plywood about...
  6. Blown

Installing tile in bathroom - Any tips?

I'm doing a remodel in my small guest bathroom. I've pulled up the existing flooring (vinyl sheet on 1/4" underlayment) and put down additional 5/8" plywood to bring the subfloor up to snuff. Next I will be installing Ditra, and finally 12" ceramic tiles on point. Do I need to do anything...
  7. Blown

How to find leaks?

My friend has one drip/microspray zone in the beds in front of her house. There's gotta be close to 100 emitters/sprays total on the zone. It's split into 2 sections, divided by a sidewalk. Each section appears to be plumbed into the PVC line (as opposed to running a flex pipe under the sidewalk...
  8. Blown

Submersible pump motor keeps failing

I have a 1hp 2-wire 240V submersible 4" pump installed in a PVC-cased 6" well. It was installed 6yrs ago. The original pump/motor was a red jacket grizzly with Franklin motor. After 3yrs it failed (locked rotor) and when I pulled it out the case was visibly corroded with holes in it. The...
  9. Blown

3yr old SS pump motor corroded AGAIN

Some of you may remember that 3yrs ago I pulled my 3-year-old Franklin 4" submersible pump out of the ground and found that the stainless case was eaten away like a battery anode. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?20753-3-year-old-well-pump-motor-case-corroded-so-badly-it-seized-up...
  10. Blown

Pitless adapter stuck

I need to pull my 4" pump out of the well because it stopped pumping (getting 240V at the wellhead but no water is coming out). The adapter is about 2ft below grade and the pull pipe comes up about 1ft below the top of the well case. For the life of me I cannot get this thing out. My...
  11. Blown

Need a pump for a pondless waterfall

I'm building a small pondless waterfall in front of my house. I've been looking at Aquascapes products, and their pumps are a bit pricey ($350 for a .5hp submersible). So I'm looking for alternatives. The pump will be installed in a burried basin that is covered with a screen and rocks on...
  12. Blown

Hose/tubing for drip systems

I'm putting a drip system in a bed. I noticed that the stuff I've seen professionally installed uses a black flex tubing with a blue stripe, and the smaller tubing that goes to the emitters is very rubbery. This is compared to the stuff I see at Lowes/Home Depot. The flex tubing is the same...
  13. Blown

Need to replace microsprays with something more rugged

My friend's beds are set up with a mixture of drip and microsprays, all on the same zone all the way around the house. I'm not sure how many sprays/emitters, but it's a LOT and rezoning is not something that I could get done any time soon. I'd estimate maybe 12 microsprays with the rest being...
  14. Blown

Hot water manifold leaking and corroded

I was down in the basement the other day and noticed that the copper hot water manifold has a ton of corrosion on it, and a tiny drip at the bottom. Perhaps one drop an hour. Everything above a certain point on the mainfold is not corroded, so I should be able to find the leak. Is this...
  15. Blown

Rotor heads are too low

I have a few heads that seem to be getting lower every year, and I'm finally going to do something about it. The spray hits the grass around it, even after mowing. Most of them really only need an inch or so, but I can't seem to find any extensions in 3/4" NPT that short. I have found...
  16. Blown

How to configure a drip zone? (control/timing)

I'm setting up a drip zone to water approximately 15 shrubs on the east side of my house. My irrigation system is fed directly from a well pump (no holding tank or anything like that). I'm not sure if it's OK to run that zone by itself since it will be low flow and high backpressure to the...
  17. Blown

Best type of drip emitters for very hard well water?

I'm installing a drip system in a shrub bed against my house. I have a sprinkler zone plumbed into the bed, so all I have to do is hook up the 1/2" poly tube and start installing emitters. The water is very hard. So much that it leaves white residue on siding, fences, etc. Looking for an...
  18. Blown

3 year old well pump motor case corroded so badly it seized up?

3yrs ago I installed a Red Jacket pump in a well that was dug at my house for a lawn irrigation system. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2048&highlight=100f21125g7 Went to turn it on this year a couple week ago and it put out about 30 seconds of water, then turned off. Tried it...
  19. Blown

Submersible well pump questions

I have a 1hp submersible well pump that will go in an 80ft well (25ft to static water). I lost the instruction manual for the pump. It's a Red Jacket "Grizzly" 100F21125G7. It runs on 230V. There are three wires coming from the pump. Two black, one green. How do I know what to hook to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks