Search results

1. Blown

Tiling a laundry/furnace room

I doubt they want me (or anybody) to bury any pipes in the concrete floor. So I'm not sure how to work around that issue other than just not tiling that area or doing it "half-assed" like dlarrivee put it.
  2. Blown

So are these things more about what looks bad, or about what will cause problems in the future?
  3. Blown

I'm just trying to understand exactly WHY all of those things should be done, not just so I know what to do but so I can explain it to her if (or more like when) I turn down the job so she won't get screwed by someone else looking to make a buck.
  4. Blown

Why do I need to bury the cast drain line? Can I not just tile around it? Or change it all to PVC and only bury the part that's already in that little trench? Why does the drain need to be raised? Can't I just tile up next to it and calk around the edges around the drain so any spills would...
  5. Blown

A friend of a friend asked if I was interested in tiling her laundry room. I said sure, then when I saw it found out it was more than just a laundry room. It's an odd-shaped room that has the laundry, furnace, water heater, and a small storage area. She wants it ALL tiled in, basically...
  6. Blown

More tile questions

Yes, it does. How thick of thinset should be between the flange and the Ditra underlayment? I know I'm probably over thinking this, but I don't want to have problems later like I've seen with other do-it-yourself tile jobs.
  7. Blown

More tile questions

Ok, great! So am I right about installing the trim strip? The tile sits directly on it? Or is there supposed to be grout between the two? Should I thinset in the trim strip first? Or at the same time as the tile?
  8. Blown

More tile questions

No, the "bad" cut is the one that is up against the trim strip. The other cuts, like the ones around the door casing, are easier to hide. I did cut the casing molding at the top of the tile to slip it underneath. As you said, it's too dark in that area to see what I did. :) Hmm, I think...
  9. Blown

More tile questions

OK, I'm back at this project and ran into an issue. I borrowed a tile saw, and after fighting with it (the water system was shot, and I found out after making several cuts that the feed table was not in line with the blade) I've made a bunch of cuts while dry laying the tile. At the doorway I...
  10. Blown

Quickest/best way to paint cabinet doors?

I did a coat using the weenie roller and foam cover and it worked well, but I'm not happy with the difference in sheen between the brushed parts and the rolled parts with this semigloss black. I tried some with a foam brush and some with a bristle brush. I'm thinking about doing a second coat...
  11. Blown

Acrylic over oil-based - How badly did I screw up?

I accepted a job for a friend painting some cabinets. She provided the paint, and I was told it was the same type as the original but in a different shade of black. My mistake was that I didn't look at the cans and made an assumption based on what i was told. The old paint was oil-based...
  12. Blown

Quickest/best way to paint cabinet doors?

I have 10 cabinet doors to paint and I'm in a time crunch this weekend, so I don't have time to screw around. The doors are currently painted with a black oil-based enamel. I've removed the hinges and sanded lightly. The new paint is acrylic enamel (this is what I was provided). Should I try...
  13. Blown

How do I replace this pex fitting w/o buying a special tool?

Ditra is an underlayment. http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx
  14. Blown

Thanks! How do these stack up as far as being robust and durable? I've never quite trusted push fittings that rely on o-rings.
  15. Blown

Thanks, I'll try that. I have a thread over in the remodeling forum about the tile. That's plywood that I just put down in the pic. I just cut out the Ditra for it tonight and will install it tomorrow. Then hopefully later in the week the ceramic tile will go in.
  16. Blown

I'm getting ready to install tile in my bathroom and realized i need to remove the shutoff valve for the toilet so that I only have to drill a hole in the tile for the tube itself. The shutoff valve is attached directly to the PEX and I don't have tools for that. What's my best course of...
  17. Blown

More tile questions

Hmm, now I'm worried that I should have put the plywood further into the doorway; closer to the stop. Based on my picture, what do you think?
  18. Blown

More tile questions

I just did some quick measuring, haven't laid anything out yet, but starting with a half tile up against the LH wall and moving to the right would put a row of tiles right in line with the center of the doorway. That should look symmetrical with respect to the space between the vanity and the...
  19. Blown

More tile questions

My last thread was geared toward dealing with plumbing when installing new tile, so I thought that starting a new thread was apt. Hopefully this weekend I'll have the toilet flange dealt with and will install the Ditra underlayment over the plywood I laid down. I extended the plywood about...
  20. Blown

Installing tile in bathroom - Any tips?

Thanks guys; I've been looking at replacement flanges, and access below the floor is good (storage room). I may try it myself.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks