Search results

1. eeka

Unused copper gas pipe hot to the touch

It's coming up through the floor. It's embedded in some concreteish stuff, which looks like it was used to level the floor before new tile was put in. No way to get into it without really messing up the floor.
  2. eeka

Location of other stuff FWIW, the boiler flue is in a known location, nowhere near the mysterious hot pipe (all three boilers are in basement, flues go up into a brick chimney in the center of the house that used to be for fireplaces). All of the plumbing and the gas lines to the units are...
  3. eeka

Thanks, all! How did I check with voltmeter? I put one probe to a ground and other probe to the copper pipe. It stayed at zero. Same voltmeter registered 122V between hot and ground. I'm not sure how hot it is, and I don't think I have anything I could test the temperature of a pipe with. I'd...
  4. eeka

Not electrified Hadn't thought of the possibility of it being electrified, but that's certainly not out of the realm in this house. I just checked it with a voltmeter and it's not giving off anything. So if it's just conducting heat from being near a heating pipe or hot water pipe and isn't...
  5. eeka

Hi, I was hoping someone might know the answer to this. I live in a three-family (stacked/three-decker) home built in 1893. I own and occupy the third floor only. About two years ago, I had several thousand dollars worth of plumbing done on my unit by a very reputable company that does...
  6. eeka

Installing kitchen faucet with totally separate hand spray?

I'm putting in a new kitchen and the one and only faucet I like doesn't include a handspray. So my next brilliant idea is to install a separate handspray on some sort of diverter. Is this a good idea? If so, is it practical to do myself, or should I hire a plumber? For background, I know...
  7. eeka

Kitchen faucet has less and less pressure -- now barely works

Oh, I figured it was pretty much disposable. This house seems to have been badly renovated in the '80s or '90s. Just looking for some way to make it less sucky until I rip the kitchen out. I've been happy with Deltas. I'll try taking out the diverter and letting you know what happens.
  8. eeka

Trying to get the spout cap off. Am I trying to screw or pry? Neither seems to be getting anywhere. Also, the brand of the faucet is Glacier Bay; noticed the faint logo when mutilating the thing just now. Thanks!
  9. eeka

Hey, thanks so much. Could I just take the diverter out and leave it out until I replace the faucet? It seems like this would be preferable to using the sprayer all the time, and I'm not real keen on spending money on a faucet I'm going to get rid of soon anyway.
  10. eeka

Post your Pics, We would love to see your projects!

Before: After: Photos don't quite do it justice, but the entire bathroom was previously covered in godawful off-white tile with awful borders, most of which was installed crookedly. And which I discovered seemed to have been installed using drastically different grades of adhesive, and...
  11. eeka

I'm not sure. What would that look like?
  12. eeka

Cheap one that came with the house: Let me know if there's more info you need. Thanks!
  13. eeka

Ah, so basically, the water is all heading into the sprayer and just sitting there unless I open up the sprayer?
  14. eeka

Oh, aerator's off. Tried that months ago when it started getting lower. Thanks!
  15. eeka

I'm in an old house with 1980s-ish fixtures. My kitchen faucet has steadily declined from having crappy-but-not-unusually-so water pressure to its current state, where it's literally a very slow drip when opened up full blast. There's a sprayer attachment, the kind that comes off of both supply...
  16. eeka

Want to install deeper bathtub -- will my floor support it?

The current tub is some sort of porcelain, since it chips like porcelain. It appears to be from the '70s or so based on style. Would it likely have been a solid hunk of porcelain, or porcelain over a frame of metal or something? I hadn't thought about the water heater. It seems to be average...
  17. eeka

Want to install deeper bathtub -- will my floor support it?

Hi, I'm hoping someone here will know where to start to find out this information... I'm looking to install a soaking tub in the space currently occupied by my normal bathtub -- thinking about something about 20" deep and acrylic. My question is whether the additional weight of the tub (when...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks