Search results

1. CharlieG

Water Heater Pilot Problem

Heater Replies Thanks, Guys, I actually was simply going to replace the heater when trouble started. But when my wife and I began to research a new tank, we ran into so many complaints concerning just about every manufacturer, that we began to wonder if our chances of squeezing a few more years...
  2. CharlieG

Any other replies? Thanks for your input, Mark. Guess I should check the dip tube and anode before going any further. Anyone else have two cents to throw in?
  3. CharlieG

Hi Folks, I have a 25 year old gas water heater. Before you say "replace it" (which I AM considering, read these details: As far as I know, there have been NO problems with it until now (except, of course, when I tried to fix what wasn't broke -- last summer I realized that the tank hadn't been...
  4. CharlieG

Replacement Toilet

Hi Everyone, I'm replacing the toilet in my master bath and, after doing much research, (including Terry's fine report on this site), I have pretty much settled on the TOTO Ultramax EL with CEFIONTECT. I have neither read nor heard anything negative about this toilet. Does anyone know of or has...
  5. CharlieG

Backerboard for shower/tub

TD, You're very welcome. Sharing our information/knowledge/eperience helps all of us to do better. Lonny has done quite a bit of that and I appreciate his input as well as the other professionals who also give advice on this forum. I've found many answers to my questions on the forum's current...
  6. CharlieG

TD, I'm in agreement with what LonnythePlumber says, though the size of my cut tiles at the bottom row depend on the size tile I'm using and the height of my tile field. But that has more to do with one's sense of aesthetics rather than any hard and fast rule (but maybe professional tilesetters...
  7. CharlieG

Backer board/sheetrock joints Troy, I assume you are talking about an untiled area with a backer board/sheetrock joint between it and the top of your tile field. If the joint or "gap" will be covered by the top edge of your tile, then I would use fiberglass mesh tape and thinset fill, which...
  8. CharlieG

Inline TPR valve???

Thanks! Hey Everyone, I appreciate all of your comments, suggestions, and know-how sharing. It all gets deposited into the knowledge bank for use now or later. Thanks again! :D
  9. CharlieG

TD, I've never used the Denshield product to which breplum referred, but I have heard many people speak of it negatively. My understanding is that it's a gypsum product like sheetrock, but with a waterproof coating and, once you nail or screw it in place, you've pierced the the coating and made...
  10. CharlieG

TD, Sounds like you've already set the tub and probably the waste and overflow and may not want to try to move it. I recently retiled a bath alcove and also had a 1/2 inch gap on the supply wall. My solution was what Jimbo suggested, i.e. using 1/2 inch firring strips on the studs (You could...
  11. CharlieG

Inline TPR valve???

Thanks, jadnashua. Of course the arrestors would go on both cold and hot lines. :o I guess I need another cup of coffee! This little favor for a friend seems to be building into quite a project and time commitment. I may have to suggest that she call upon a paid professional. Hey, Terry, do much...
  12. CharlieG

Inline TPR valve???

So, let me try to recap the situation. Terry, Assuming that the second relief is rated at 125 PSI (it's installed vertically very close to the basement ceiling and I'll have to use a mirror or pull it off to get a peek at the tag) and from what you've said about the Seattle code, the situation...
  13. CharlieG

Inline TPR valve???

Thanks Terry, Jimbo, and e-plumber. I appreciate all your comments and recommendations. e-plumber, I am just a long time do-it-yourselfer and hope that my questions are appropriate. Regarding your last post, I'll check the meter for a check valve and test incoming pressure at the hose bib...
  14. CharlieG

Inline TPR valve???

T & P, etc. Jimbo, I don't live close to my friend and I just got a fast look at the water heater and quickly tested what seemed like a standard 150lb T & P attached to it in the usual manner. I'm not a plumber and don't know that I'd recognize a temp activated gas shutoff, but wouldn't it be...
  15. CharlieG

Inline TPR valve???

Pressure regulating valve Thanks, e-plumber. If I use a pressure regulating valve with a thermal expansion bypass feature, such as the Watts 25AUB, would it still be necessary to install a thermal expansion tank on the cold water feed line to the water heater?
  16. CharlieG

Inline TPR valve???

A friend asked me to check an exterior "leaking pipe" extending from just above her foundation. It was a dripping 3/4 inch copper line directed downward and terminating just inches above a planting bed. Examination in the unfinished part of her basement revealed a connection to what appeared to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks