Search results

1. C

DIY Again

This is a good point - he'd be able to offset the capitol gain if he paid someone else to do the work. However, there is a lifetime $500,000 exclusion on profits from sale of your home (assuming he's married and it is his primary residence).
  2. C

DIY Again

I don't see the couch example is wrong. If what I do during my leisure time is something that saves money vs something that costs money - I feel I get to count that as money saved. If I had a hobby (or 2nd job) making little wooden widgets that I sell at craft shows, and make $80k a year...
  3. C

DIY Again

I was trying to say that for OP to get the money to pay someone $40k to do "x" amount of work, OP would have had to earn $40k + taxes at some other job. So he's (ignoring the semantics of the word "saving" for the moment) saving not just the $40k, but the $40k+taxes that he would have had to earn.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks