Search results

1. spryde

Vanity Top

The big box stores around me (Lowes, Home Depot, *******) carry 31x19 tops. They are instock and available via special order. SP Edit: Why is the M* store censored and the others not? I must have missed that item around here...
  2. spryde

Pouring new basement floor ... how to get concrete?

Yep. Been there, done that. Not going to do it again. On the other hand, you shall look like Ah-nold when you are done. SP
  3. spryde

How To Build a Tile Ledger in a Shower?

New or existing shower? New Shower? Drywall + Kerdi (although I would probably put a niche in). Existing? Hardiboard may work but I would definitely make sure the top is slightly sloped to allow draining. The John Bridge forums www.johnbridge.com are wonderful when it comes to tile. SP
  4. spryde

Dark brown goo inside copper water line

I know I am a little late but this is part of the reason DC got into trouble with lead contamination. There is a naturally occurring 'lining' of the pipes called biofilm that actually protects the pipe and prevents most leaching of metals into the water. When DC changed from chlorine to...
  5. spryde

Loud Noise Behind Walls After Water Shut Off

Unless I totally missed that day of class, DWV systems are not pressurized therefore not subject to water hammer. Generally, water has to be flowing for a noise to happen unless there is something living in your pipes. The only case I can think of is a freeze-thaw cycle going on in a relatively...
  6. spryde

Setting tub in mud

No problem. I just set a 60x29x16 tub over a 3/4" plywood subfloor in a 2" mortar bed. The floor didn't budge when the tub was filled. If John Bridge ever came back online, I can finish the research for the tiling. SP
  7. spryde

Setting tub in mud

I suspect the slab will hold up the tub easily. If those are the interior dimensions of the tub, your tub will hold 185 gallons of water which weighs around 1500 lbs. 1500 lbs spread over the roughly 12 sqft that your tub touches the floor means you have roughly 125 lbs per square foot or...
  8. spryde

How not to melt washer outlet box?

I just saw the Oxbox at Lo*es. $25 for the double solder on system. Pretty neat. SP
  9. spryde

Compression Fitting Weeping Solution

I hate saddle valves. I eventually pulled mine off, replaced the pipe it was on and put new branch line with a ball valve over to a new fridge box. Overkill? Yes. Did it right? Hell yes. SP
  10. spryde

2008 ..... Pig Slop Award.....

This is why I am in computers and not in plumbing :) When my customers screw up, I smack them on the head, tell them not to do it again, look for the backup tapes and the bottle of Advil. When your customers screw up or have an issue, you have to lift two tons of fun through a opening...
  11. spryde

dryer vent between joists?

Perusing my 2006 IRC, I noticed that the termination of the duct shall be not less than 3 feet from any opening into a building (window, door, etc). I can't quote chapter and verse but I definitely remember that. SP
  12. spryde

How to route a TPR in an interior room

Good to know. I guess will have to think about this one quite a bit more. We are subjected to freezing conditions here so doing a direct dump outside at the foundation line is pretty much out of the question unless I am misinterpreting the meaning or spirit of the new rule. I missed this...
  13. spryde

I wonder if I put a floor drain in that room (trapped of course) and run the TPR pipe to the drain, would that suffice? It would be in conditioned space, not directly connected to the drain system and there will be an air gap. I am not under 2006 IRC yet but I do personally agree with the...
  14. spryde

I am finalizing the plans for the house we are building and we will have a second floor laundry with a tankless water heater installed in that room (direct vented to the roof). The unit will probably be a Rinnai and the install instructions says that the appliance really doesn't need a TPR...
  15. spryde

ID supply line material?

Note: I use to work for DCWASA in a IT capacity more than a plumbing capacity so take this with a grain of salt. :) That is about the right time for lead services. I did see copper steadily increasing around that time (until WWII which galvanized made a showing). SP
  16. spryde

2008 ..... Pig Slop Award.....

Ok, I'll bite... My layman eyes sees unsupported pex. It is supposed to be supported every 32" in a horizontal run. It looks like it could be > 32". Where does that other PEX pipe go to behind the one in the foreground? Further, aesthetically and practically it should not be hanging over the...
  17. spryde

Bathroom vent inside soffit

LOL. I guess the fact that in my neck of the woods, they are not many decent jobs for plumbers at this moment which means I take what I can get and play on the weekends :-D . As to the subject at hand, I really need to print this out for my uncle. He has his exhaust duct pointed right at the...
  18. spryde

Bathroom vent inside soffit

Not good. At all. SP
  19. spryde

Expanding ProPex tubing (Wirsbo System)

Each system is pretty much matched within itself. There is enough variation between wirsbo, sioux chief, zurn, etc that mixing and matching parts can guarantee your house to look like the Bellagio fountains at a random point in the future. SP
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks